Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Marvel Mystery Comics #17 also ran a cool entry into a contest to visit Timely (Marvel) Comics.

My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Marvel Mystery Comics #17 also ran a cool entry into a contest to visit Timely (Marvel) Comics.

That is so cool! They should do stuff like this in modern comics!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Another great issue, Thor-El! I do remember this one, sort of. Torch getting ready to fight Namor, who had shown up to get his help with the Japanese Tunnel. Of course, he agreed to help out.

The Invaders #24 reprints Marvel Mystery Comics #17 with a glorious new cover by Silver Age master Gil Kane. The story is edited by Roy Thomas and some panels have been taken out.

Arrrgh! I hate it when they do that. And why? I would have thought they needed more pages to fill out the issue.

That is, however, a wonderful Gil Kane cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernedi View Post
    That is so cool! They should do stuff like this in modern comics!
    I agree. COOL! Great find Thor-El! Of course, the words Water Rat and Fire Bug will have to be in those panels.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I agree. COOL! Great find Thor-El! Of course, the words Water Rat and Fire Bug will have to be in those panels.
    I think MCU missed a big opportunity in not making an Invaders movie. They could have easily just changed Human Torch's name to Synthetic Man, as he appeared during the Expo thingy in The First Avenger... as for Namor, I have no idea how the rights work for him, but they could reach a similar agreement with Universal, akin to the one they have with Hulk.

Another thing Invaders could have done to benefit the MCU is introduce the first chronological Inhuman character: Toro!
    To differentiate Toro his flames could be purple, like in the comics. If they couldn't use Jim Hammond, Toro could easily replace him in the Invaders team.

As for the word bubbles... I'm tempted to write Namor calling Human Torch a "Fried Chicken." XD lol
    Last edited by Vernedi; 02-05-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernedi View Post
    I think MCU missed a big opportunity in not making an Invaders movie. They could have easily just changed Human Torch's name to Synthetic Man, as he appeared during the Expo thingy in The First Avenger... as for Namor, I have no idea how the rights work for him, but they could reach a similar agreement with Universal, akin to the one they have with Hulk.

Another thing Invaders could have done to benefit the MCU is introduce the first chronological Inhuman character: Toro!
    To differentiate Toro his flames could be purple, like in the comics. If they couldn't use Jim Hammond, Toro could easily replace him in the Invaders team.

As for the word bubbles... I'm tempted to write Namor calling Human Torch a "Fried Chicken." XD lol
    LOL! Winna Winna Chicken Dinner!

For a while there, everyone thought we were going to get the Invaders in the first Cap movie, because the director didn't seem to understand the difference between the Invaders and the Howling Commandos. But they've pretty much written out the Invaders from the MCU now. I do understand how it would have overwhelmed Cap's first movie, but I wish they hadn't closed out any opportunity for them in the past.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

TY Thor-Ey! Love the new friendship Namor has found.

Did Captain A. ever appear in Namor, Human Torch, or Marvel COmics along with our boys?
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    TY Thor-Ey! Love the new friendship Namor has found.

Did Captain A. ever appear in Namor, Human Torch, or Marvel COmics along with our boys?
    I think All Winners Squad might have been it, but I'm not certain.

I know there was a scene in the 50s, when they appeared in front of the President.

Mighty Member

Marvel Mystery Comics #18. Its war against the Submariners! With the help of Betty Dean and the Legion of Loyalists Lynne and Luther finally escape Namor.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 5 (Marvel Mystery Comics #17–20) or any other available reprints.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...3J6AKYVRP7PSMA
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

TY Thor-Ey

It is amazing how much effort Namor put in keeping L&L around for so many issues. I wonder where they are right now...and later, if in their old age they ever wished they had stayed under the sea........
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

Oh, the dirty fiends!! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    TY Thor-Ey

It is amazing how much effort Namor put in keeping L&L around for so many issues. I wonder where they are right now...and later, if in their old age they ever wished they had stayed under the sea........
    Yes, and for what? Workers? Though, I'm glad they dropped that marrying business. I also love Namor reaction to the Emperor on Lynne and Luther's request for vacay. "NEVER!!!"

I didn't remember Namor ever being allergic to gas. And Betty Dean. How could you? Though those panels with her Legion of Loyalists remind me of Agent Carter!

Astonishing Member

Yes, and for what? Workers? Though, I'm glad they dropped that marrying business.
    Its particularly weird that Namor decided to bring Luther along and give him the same treatment. Given that the original plan was marriage, either Namor was being unusually cruel by bringing Luther along to make him watch as his girlfriend became Namor's wife...or Namor was plotting some kinky underwater threeway relationship.

Speaking of Luther...did he start to look more like Namor after the treatments that made him amphibious? Or is it just a quirk of the art style that they both have such angular faces, similar hairlines, etc? Once Luther has also stripped down and started wearing the speedos, at first glance I could get the two of them mixed up in some panels!

I also love Namor reaction to the Emperor on Lynne and Luther's request for vacay. "NEVER!!!"
    Sounds like my old district manager....

And Betty Dean. How could you? Though those panels with her Legion of Loyalists remind me of Agent Carter!
    Yeah, its quite impressive seeing Betty commanding a room full of men--very progressive for that time period!

Abe, have you seen this site? It looks like they did print some Golden Age Namor in French, though it appears to have been in black and white.

Comicbox

http://www.comicbox.com/index.php/ar...ollection-253/

They've written several articles on Namor, it looks like.

http://www.comicbox.com/?s=Namor
    Excellent, Reviresco ! Thanks for those links. I didn't knew that review and that site !

The article in French is about Namor and not about the French publications. So I've done some researches and it appears that some Atlas tories with Namors were published in these pocket format B&W books in the beginnig of the 1970:

http://artima.free.fr/avfiction/aventu20.htm
    http://artima.free.fr/avfiction/aventu21.htm

From this series - you can explore the site if you want more exoticism !

http://artima.free.fr/avfiction/index.htm

The publisher was among the first to publish US comics in the middle of the 60's and you can see in the summaries that they had the right for almost all DC characters except Batman and Superman but also the for some Marvel series that the other French publisher (the one I started to read at the end of the 70's) didn't wanted - at first !- Thor, Hulk, The Avengers...

I should compare with the original pages from Atlas Subby. They used to reorganizes the pages to fit the format of publications. French publishers did that a lot, with everything : when they printed strips or sunday pages in a book format (like Mandrake or Flash Gordon) of course, but I've learned recently that they used the same treatment with the Kirby's FF pages I used to read as a kid... And they change the colors too !!! Blasphemy !!! My Omnibuses are now more precious to me : not only the original words (nice traduction btw in the Namor pages you have posted, Rev!) by Stan but also the original pages by Jack. Hey ! Sometimes they chose to cut Sue out off a panel !!!!

I think that we're done with the Frogs now! Zees is zee end - until ze D-day I guess!

A VERY VERY COOL ENTRY indeed.

All those scans are wonderful Thor-El ! Thanks so much for this readathon ! I loved the issues 17 and 18. It's so nice to see the story progressing, L&L and Betty. The series still shows a taste for some crazy experimentations : biology, weapons, fashion... and human interactions of course ! GA is so fresh...

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Its particularly weird that Namor decided to bring Luther along and give him the same treatment. Given that the original plan was marriage, either Namor was being unusually cruel by bringing Luther along to make him watch as his girlfriend became Namor's wife...or Namor was plotting some kinky underwater threeway relationship.

Speaking of Luther...did he start to look more like Namor after the treatments that made him amphibious? Or is it just a quirk of the art style that they both have such angular faces, similar hairlines, etc? Once Luther has also stripped down and started wearing the speedos, at first glance I could get the two of them mixed up in some panels!
    Yes! I had the same problem -- in that panel where Namor said they should get in some swimming gear. Yes, SWIMMING GEAR. I need to send that panel to Brevroot.

I need to re-read it, but I didn't think Namor sounded all that keen on being Lynne's husband. Goddess of Seals was pushing for that. But I agree, changing Luther to a Sub-Mariner seemed ... odd. Of course, it might actually have been Lynne's idea -- greedy woman. ;p

Sounds like my old district manager....
    Ouch! Good thing he's your _old_ manager then.

Yeah, its quite impressive seeing Betty commanding a room full of men--very progressive for that time period!
    Exactly! There's comparison's to Lois Lane, I'm sure, but while she was a reporter, Betty Dean was a police woman. Generally speaking I've found Everett's women to be far more progressive and strong.

Astonishing Member

I need to re-read it, but I didn't think Namor sounded all that keen on being Lynne's husband. Goddess of Seals was pushing for that. But I agree, changing Luther to a Sub-Mariner seemed ... odd. Of course, it might actually have been Lynne's idea -- greedy woman. ;p
    She just wanted an order of "surf and turf" for her love life.

Ouch! Good thing he's your _old_ manager then.
    No kidding! lol

Exactly! There's comparison's to Lois Lane, I'm sure, but while she was a reporter, Betty Dean was a police woman. Generally speaking I've found Everett's women to be far more progressive and strong.
    Yeah, I've been surprised and impressed with that, between Betty Dean and the infamous 'Strong Gal' from the other Namor thread. Even Lynne is going off with her fiancé to capture the dangerous Sub-Mariner rather than sitting at home, waiting for her man to return from the action.