Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Worked on the reading order of the Golden Age books tonite, and thanks to all the hard work of Thor-El, I'm not as far behind as I thought. Only two Human Torch issues behind! I'll try to get them up this week.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Human Torch 4
    Spring 1941

Writer: Bill Everett
    Pencils: Bill Everett

RATINGS
    Reviresco:
    CBR Readers:

REVIEWS / LINKS

##########

This cover has the wrong number; it is actually issue #4. The roster of the issue is back to multiple characters (Patriot makes his debut) and Namor is back to a regular sized story, but not up to Everett's usual standards, at least story wise. The art remains the best in the book, IMO. The story starts out with a reference to the story in Sub-Mariner #1, by mentioning that Namor is now Emperor... but then it's all about Namor saving surface people.

In a medium sized town in the wilds of Alaska, a storm rages, as does an influenza epidemic. Of course, they are out of serum, so they send word over "the wireles" to Washington ...

And here's the first problem, IMO ... why can't Namor break out of the ice???
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-15-2016 at 11:15 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Since Namor doesn't arrive, they send planes out looking for him in the storm. So, I'm wondering why they didn't just take the serum themselves? Perhaps, because one ices up and crashes. The impact and fire wake Namor and loosens the ice trapping him.

And there's those planes flying in the storm again.

Inspiration strikes and Namor circles back to the field, lands, and finds bombs in the wrecked hanger. Loading up, he hopes he doesn't hit the town, and manages to drop them on the threatening iceberg.

That works for one iceberg, so Namor drops incendiary bombs on other icebergs. Unfortunately, the storm send some of the bombs into town, and buildings catch fire. So, Namor frees a lake blocked by icebergs, releasing the waters to put out the fire. Unfortunately, this also floods the town. Ooops.

Last edited by Reviresco; 02-15-2016 at 10:57 PM.

The "IDEA" balloon pointing is priceless. It almost made the new feature below. Also love the ad for Namor's own book. And the Alaskans cheering Namor on in French!

I am wondering, however ... didn't Namor just blow up those gas tanks, WHILE STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO THEM???

This issue had this an ad for what I think was All Winners, but under the name All Aces! Wait, Roy Thomas' forward covers this.

Best laid plans and all that. All Aces never appeared. Instead, it metamorphed into All Winners Comics, but its first issue (dated Summer 1941) would have a slightly different cast. There'd be no Firey Mask or Hurricane, instead their spots would be taken by a still newer hero, the Black Marvel. Goodman's policy at this time seems to have been to simply fling a whole buncH qof super heroes up against the wall and see who ones would stick!

And introducing ...

Panels Worthy of a T-Shirt!!!

Not as many panels worthy in this issue, but I settled on these ...

I like this one, because "Oh Oh" is never a good sign, much less when one is on ICE!
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-15-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Perhaps it needs an "Obi-wan" on it...

When you feel like things are closing in ... change 'ice' to a suitably overwhelming substance. And erase the caption.

Okay, I admit, it was Snowman Namor and the "what to do, what to do" that got this panel on the list. ; p
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-15-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I admit the writing of Namor in this one was a little "off", but overall I really enjoyed seeing Namor in the snowy North...Beautiful drawings in my opinion. TY Rev for posting this gem!
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    I admit the writing of Namor in this one was a little "off", but overall I really enjoyed seeing Namor in the snowy North...Beautiful drawings in my opinion. TY Rev for posting this gem!
    I agree. The art is nice, even if my scans are a bit washed out. I don't think everyone was supposed to be that pale looking. The page with Namor trying to navigate the ice is beautiful, some great figure work. And there was a lot of attention to detail with the plains. I didn't post it, but Everett actually referred to the exact type of plane they were using.

And poor Namor ... he was only trying to help, when he blew up houses, set them on fire and flooded them. LOL! Loved the villagers too ... vacillating between cursing Namor and cheering him on.

Mighty Member

Another great story, thank you, Rev. Namor displaying his impervious to the elements by wearing his traditional speedo in the midst of the snow storm. Lots of great action and great artwork by the master Bill Everett. So All Winners was renamed from All Aces, nice trivia detail!
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Mighty Member

Before the Batmobile, there was the Namor-mobile, who would have thought that pointy ear musclebound speedo wearing wonder would have the brains to build a car that would get the fuhrer's troops panties in a bunch wanting to steal the prototype for mass production. We follow Namor to Salt Lake City where he uncovers an Underground Nazi Factory and retrieves his stolen invention from the fiend's paws.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 6 (Marvel Mystery Comics #21–24) or any other available reprints.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...GKB4QMH5MKVCR0
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

OMG! It's the Blitz Buggy! I love this story and that car! I need to find the GIF.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Another great story, thank you, Rev. Namor displaying his impervious to the elements by wearing his traditional speedo in the midst of the snow storm. Lots of great action and great artwork by the master Bill Everett. So All Winners was renamed from All Aces, nice trivia detail!
    Despite it's faults, it was one of the better stories, IMO, in the book, but I might be biased. ;p

I love those ads!

Found it!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Found it!

LOL, that is so awesome. The Buggy must do another appearance because that panel is not in this story.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Wonderful story! Some of these GA stories are so fun to read...
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    LOL, that is so awesome. The Buggy must do another appearance because that panel is not in this story.
    It isn't? I thought this was him racing down the road in Utah? But, IIRC, the Blitz Buggy does make another appearance, so perhaps it's in the next story.

Man, I'd die if someone brought the Blitz Buggy back in a modern story. Take that, Lola! Can you imagine Namor's face upon seeing it? Or what if he took it back to the sea with him and modified it for zipping around underwater?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Wonderful story! Some of these GA stories are so fun to read...
    Some of them are outrageous fun. I really enjoyed the last story in Human Torch, which I'm hoping to get to tonite.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Found it!

That is hilarious! XD lol