Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Today's issue we read is the renamed Marvel Comics; Marvel Mystery Comics #2. Namor is like a demon in the hunt to slaughter Americans, with a soft spot for the fair sex. So far Namor with the blessing of her mother Princess Fen goes in a destructive rampage, killing innocent men in his pursue for revenge against the surface world. I have to admit this is very different from the hot tempered but heroic prince from the Marvel Silver Age. It is very interesting because its more gritty and in a way more in line with action movies today. I'm curious to see how Namor turns around from villain to hero cause right now he is one very disturbed youth whose actions seem unredeamable.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 1 (Marvel Comics #1, Marvel Mystery Comics #2–4) or any other available reprints.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...PF3818RHV5YY00

A copy of this issue is available in youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16qmUZjgAKg
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-29-2016 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Added link to Marvel Masterworks
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Nazis. That's how Namor becomes more like the Silver Age heroic sea prince.

IIRC, there's going to be lots more of Everett's amazingly anti-heroic Prince. The whole story line with Lynne Harris was bizarre.

I'm going to have to dig out my MMW Golden Age Omnibus!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

TY so much for the scans, I have never seen these before and they are wonderful!!!!!!!!! Please keep them coming

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    TY so much for the scans, I have never seen these before and they are wonderful!!!!!!!!! Please keep them coming
    Thank you, Mantis Girl. I thought the thread would get more participation from the group. I realize its still early to judge the level of response though. Good to know you are watching, for awhile I thought it was just Reviresco and I.
    I'll try to post the third issue tonight, I've had a busy morning.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

I've been out ....Dad's birthday. But, I love this idea here. Thank's for the posts Thor-El. I'm attempting to catch up on our (quickly moving) threads right now.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Sadly I don't have a scanner ThorEy. But I read this thread (and all Namor threads at least 2-3 times per day) even though I don't always comment...just know that people like you, Rev, and all the rest are always greatly appreciated!

I am here, too.
    Are we reading and then just scanning parts of the story?
    Or is someone assigned to post the scans?
    I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO DO.

But I have been reading Namor every single day anyway. :P
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I am here, too.
    Are we reading and then just scanning parts of the story?
    Or is someone assigned to post the scans?
    I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO DO.

But I have been reading Namor every single day anyway. :P
    You are doing it! A Namor story a day, keeps the blues away.

Are you reading the Golden Age or Silver Age stuff?

I'm a little confused too, as I thought we were going to do Silver Age Subby here. So, I'm a little behind.... need to dig out my Omnibus and make a Golden Age checklist. Thank goodness Thor-el is posting those video links.

Will try to come up with some suggestions later tonite.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Namor's attraction for the fair sex gets exploited by the police using officer Betty Dean to trick Namor, of course Namor easily disarms her. Fortunately at that same moment Namor and Betty witness the attack by a Natzi submarine to an English ship which together with a convincing talk from Officer Dean makes Namor realize the error of his ways.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 1 (Marvel Comics #1, Marvel Mystery Comics #2–4) or any other available reprints.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...PF3818RHV5YY00
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-29-2016 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added link to Marvel Masterworks

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

I'm a little confused too, as I thought we were going to do Silver Age Subby here. So, I'm a little behind.... need to dig out my Omnibus and make a Golden Age checklist. Thank goodness Thor-el is posting those video links.

The owner of my LCS agreed to send me some pages he has scanned from a personal collection backup for issues 1, 2 & 3 of Marvel Mystery Comics and I've been using that. I could ask him for more but it might be better if someone who has the Masterworks takes over or maybe we should switch to the silver age which is more available to everyone.

Wow, this is a very cool thread. I don't have any substantial thoughts yet but I wanted to comment in appreciation of the panels being shared
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    Wow, this is a very cool thread. I don't have any substantial thoughts yet but I wanted to comment in appreciation of the panels being shared
    Thor-El has been doing a great job!

Didn't know you liked the Golden Age stuff, Hrist. Of course, Betty Dean is an awesome character. She's not really an a$$ kicker, despite being a police woman, but was a capable, strong willed woman, who had no problem standing up to Namor and going on adventures with him.

Here's a nice write up on her from the 70th Anniversary Daily Bugle. Click on the image to see it bigger / readable.

Last edited by Reviresco; 01-22-2016 at 02:16 AM.

Still thinking about the thread ... stuff came up this evening.

I did want to say, that Marvel Mystery Comics 3, with Betty's first appearances, was one of my favorites. Betty is so awesome in it, and Namor is so ... intrigued. And it's amazing that Everett actually had him going after "the white man, aka as the Americans!"

I think it is also the first comic, definitely the first Timely comic, where a superhero took on the Nazis -- yes, despite the 75th Anniversary of Cap TV special -- it was actually Namor who did it first, under the pen of the very WASPy Bill Everett. Though Namor didn't take on Hitler himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Well, I am on Vol.3 of his MMW silver age stuff.
    But I can switch over to golden.
    But I wasn't sure if we were all supposed to contribute scans, or if the posting of scans was something Thor-El was doing, or how this was supposed to work.
    I can read golden age, silver age, whatever. Anything in the Sub-Mariner MMWs or the golden age omnibus, I am good to read.

When a scan is posted, are we then to read that story and then discuss it?
    I feel like I am not understanding something that should be pretty understandable. lol.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Mighty Member

The wiki says Marvel Mystery Comics has been reprinted up to issue #28, I hope that wiki is current. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Mystery_Comics

Reprints
    Marvel Comics #1: 70th Anniversary Edition (reprints #1 with modern coloring, 2009)
    Golden Age Marvel Comics Omnibus (Marvel Comics #1; Marvel Mystery Comics #2–12)
    Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 1 (Marvel Comics #1, Marvel Mystery Comics #2–4)
    Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 2 (Marvel Mystery Comics #5–8)
    Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 3 (Marvel Mystery Comics #9–12)
    Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 4 (Marvel Mystery Comics #13–16)
    Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 5 (Marvel Mystery Comics #17–20)
    Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 6 (Marvel Mystery Comics #21–24)
    Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 7 (Marvel Mystery Comics #25-28)

Amazon has the first color volume in softcover going for $29.99 right now
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...7MG0ECNQFN08BV