Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Excellent post. Thank you, JP. I'm glad someone is keeping the thread going. I've been swamped these past weeks but I intend to eventually finish the golden age with one last MMC and a couple of Sub-Mariner issues that delve into his origin and Atlantis.
    Agree 100%!

I haven't been around, cause I've been busy with much less pleasant things. Been meaning to get started with the Silver Age stuff too... after I catch up on the other threads.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I was going to continue with Sub-Mariner #5 but some parts may be considered too violent and offensive so I'll go with something lighter. From Blonde Phantom, Vol. 1 #20, Nov., 1948.

Physics Professor Diggenwell has some revolutionary news to tell the Sub-Mariner and contacts the police, Betty Dean and Namora in an effort to find him.

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Mighty Member

Thank you JP, funny story! I wouldn't worry about Submariner #5 being too violent, nothing can be more violent than the Squadron Supreme Namor covers.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    I was going to continue with Sub-Mariner #5 but some parts may be considered too violent and offensive so I'll go with something lighter. From Blonde Phantom, Vol. 1 #20, Nov., 1948.

Physics Professor Diggenwell has some revolutionary news to tell the Sub-Mariner and contacts the police, Betty Dean and Namora in an effort to find him.

The Blonde Phantom story! What a wonderful surprise. I've never seen this and was wondering what it was about -- if Namor actually teamed up with the Blonde Phantom.

I love that splash, with Namor scared to dip a toe into the water. And the whole science thing reminds me of people saying Namor can't fly with his ankle wings.

Thanks for posting this , Johnny Peril!

Thank you JP, funny story! I wouldn't worry about Submariner #5 being too violent, nothing can be more violent than the Squadron Supreme Namor covers.

I don't think I'll ever get over that mess.

I'm not sure about the violence, but there's definitely some racist caricatures in some of the WWII stories, that I hesitated to post also.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

I'm not sure about the violence, but there's definitely some racist caricatures in some of the WWII stories, that I hesitated to post also.
    Yes, I see your point.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Yes, I see your point.
    Yep. It's part of the era, and that context shouldn't be ignored, but I'm afraid it would be.

The nerve gas altered Namor's cellular structure so that his skin can no longer retain moisture out of water but Reed constructs a filtering and recycling system that is thin enough to wear and will give the Avenging Son the ability to survive out of the sea.

Although angry with surface dwellers in general, Namor gave his thanks to Reed Richards for saving his life and marked the beginning of a long lasting friendship between the Sub-Mariner and the Fantastic Four.

So, there you have it, the origin of Namor's costume. Does he still need it? What happened to Atlantis? What about Orka and Virago? Those are stories for another day.
    Back to this story post ... When did Namor get cured? Wasn't it Doom in SVTU?

I was also disturbed by the racial slurs and "jokes." I might post it but it will be in a very abbreviated version.

Yep. It's part of the era, and that context shouldn't be ignored, but I'm afraid it would be.
    Back to this story post ... When did Namor get cured? Wasn't it Doom in SVTU?
    Yes, in Super Villain Team-Up it was part of a long complicated storyline involving Doom, Red Skull, The Avengers, The FF, The Shroud, Namora, Circus of Crime, Attuma, Krang, Henry Kissinger and others. In an attempt to make Namor his slave Doom changes Namor's body chemistry so the costume is useless. At the end he cures Namor to show he is smarter than Richards.

I was also disturbed by the racial slurs and "jokes." I might post it but it will be in a very abbreviated version.
    Yep. I remember Namor trying to disguise himself as Japanese, and it was particularly painful. O_O

And posting stuff from those war issues, it is difficult to avoid him fighting the caricatures.

Yes, in Super Villain Team-Up it was part of a long complicated storyline involving Doom, Red Skull, The Avengers, The FF, The Shroud, Namora, Circus of Crime, Attuma, Krang, Henry Kissinger and others. In an attempt to make Namor his slave Doom changes Namor's body chemistry so the costume is useless. At the end he cures Namor to show he is smarter than Richards.
    LOL! It always comes down to Riiiiiichaaaaards! Of course, to be fair, Richards threw the suit together in like 5 minutes to save Namor's life. It wasn't mean to be a permanent solution. But then, he appears to have promptly forgot about Namor and the Atlanteans. ;p

I do remember Doom curing the comatose Atlanteans, but I didn't remember his doing the same for Namor. Definitely need to reread those issues, especially since they released the trade.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 04-07-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Mighty Member

LOL! It always comes down to Riiiiiichaaaaards! Of course, to be fair, Richards threw the suit together in like 5 minutes to save Namor's life. It wasn't mean to be a permanent solution. But then, he appears to have promptly forgot about Namor and the Atlanteans. ;p

I do remember Doom curing the comatose Atlanteans, but I didn't remember his doing the same for Namor. Definitely need to reread those issues, especially since they released the trade.
    I have those issues, will have to check them as well.

Namor's cure gets lost in the shuffle because of all the sub-plots they crammed into the saga combined with the changing of writers halfway through. Also, it wasn't Doom who gave him the antidote it was Rudolfo posing as Doom. Like I said in my original post, these are stories for another day.

Namor's cure gets lost in the shuffle because of all the sub-plots they crammed into the saga combined with the changing of writers halfway through. Also, it wasn't Doom who gave him the antidote it was Rudolfo posing as Doom. Like I said in my original post, these are stories for another day.; )

Thanks!

I did love the idea of SVTU and it started out strong, but yes, as it went on, Marvel sort of sabotaged the book with all the rotating talent.

Sub-Mariner Comics #5

Besides being an adventurer Namor is also somewhat of an inventor as he designs a mini-sub that should be superior to the Japanese two-man subs and with a three man crew takes the SM-1 to the Indian ocean to put it to the test. He arrives just as the British and American fleets are attempting to hold off a Japanese attack on Australia.

Warning: Contains words which will be considered offensive. Please remember the era in which they were written.

Namor and his crew managed to inflict some damages on a Japanese Destroyer before submerging but a torpedo destroys their ship's periscope forcing them to surface.

With his crew dead Namor swims to his damaged ship and unleashes its weapons..

Firing until his ship's remaining weapons are empty Namor abandons the SM-1 and commandeers a Japanese mini-sub.

Namor takes control of a Japanese plane that flew a little too close and turns its weapons against the enemy fleet.

After jumping out of the fighter plane Namor pays closer attention to the boats carrying the invading Japanese towards the shore.

Leaving the remaining fleet for American bombers, Namor swims for home.

Mighty Member

Great job JP!! You are definitely qualified to do my vacations! Love these Namor one man's army war stories from the golden age! My favorite Namor's phrase "Come to papa." lol

Thank you, Johnny Peril! Another amazing Golden Age story. I also enjoy seeing Namor show off his inventor / tech / mechanical skills.

Great job JP!! You are definitely qualified to do my vacations! Love these Namor one man's army war stories from the golden age! My favorite Namor's phrase "Come to papa." lol
    I agree.

"Come to papa!" is hilarious, every time I see Namor saying it.

I also love the circle panel, especially ones with Namor point a gun out it, like he was pointing it at the reader.

I think this may have been the last Subby story Bill Everett did before he joined the army.