Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Namor's attraction for the fair sex gets exploited by the police using officer Betty Dean to trick Namor, of course Namor easily disarms her. Fortunately at that same moment Namor and Betty witness the attack by a Natzi submarine to an English ship which together with a convincing talk from Officer Dean makes Namor realize the error of his ways.

Love it! What a great journey discovering all these timeless treasures...Oh Betty; if I could trade places for your one moment in time...

Hi my friends ! Just to say that if I don't post (technical problems...), I'm still here reading ! And that readathon is great !!! Of course I have prepared myself for the Dr Strange readathon, but I have a few GA Namor MMW - and obviously not the first editions : so the coloring is way better : like in the pages I posted a few weeks ago on the appreciation thread...- so I'm not lost reading this thread ! Not yet...

So thank you everyone - and especially Thor-El who's doing a wonderful work !!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Hi my friends ! Just to say that if I don't post (technical problems...), I'm still here reading ! And that readathon is great !!! Of course I have prepared myself for the Dr Strange readathon, but I have a few GA Namor MMW - and obviously not the first editions : so the coloring is way better : like in the pages I posted a few weeks ago on the appreciation thread...- so I'm not lost reading this thread ! Not yet...

So thank you everyone - and especially Thor-El who's doing a wonderful work !!!
    Thank you Abe, glad to know you are with us.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Mighty Member

Betty Dean has straightened Namor's understanding of the surface world. And now Namor joins the war against the Natzis.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 1 (Marvel Comics #1, Marvel Mystery Comics #2–4) or any other available reprints.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...PF3818RHV5YY00
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-29-2016 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added link to Marvel Masterworks
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Betty Dean has straightened Namor's understanding of the surface world. And now Namor joins the war against the Natzis.

Namor showing already he can be a hero! Already in the 4th issue! Love these scans! TY so much ThorEy

Mighty Member

Namor continues his path towards the side of angels. After saving the freighter last issue from Natzis, he decides he wants to help the Americans and attempt to atone for his bad deeds. But upon his return to New York the police is ready to capture him. And its Betty Dean again the one who convinces the police to free and trust him. Coincidentally at that moment a seemingly freak accident at the subways presents the perfect opportunity for Namor to lend a hand to the police rescuing the victims and while doing so Namor uncovers a gang of thugs that had provoked the accident in order to rob a bank's subterranean vault while diverting everyone's attention with the catastrophe.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 2 (Marvel Mystery Comics #5–8) or any other available reprints.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...DZ6W4Q3BE8288Q
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-29-2016 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added link to Marvel Masterworks

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

As I said elsewhere, I am having a difficult time posting. Hopefully this problem will be solved tomorrow.

I LOVE those montages, Thor-El. Great work!

It's odd to see Namor wearing so many clothes, and of course, the red hair.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Namor has been working hard at atoning for his previous sins and fast becoming the city's resident superhero wanting to work for the police and earning the surface dweller's trust. Until he is told he needs to stand trial for the murders he committed. Trusting his friend Betty Dean he lets the police jail him hoping his good deeds and his repurpose as police's new one man task force will be enough to get pardoned. Unfortunately the judge sees him as too dangerous and condemns him to the capital punishment. When Namor tries to escape his strength fails him. They have been treating his food while in jail with a special drug that zaps his strength. Unable to escape Namor is taken to his execution and it seems he will finally meet his demise when surprisingly the electric charge meant to kill him only wears off the effects of the drugs and returns his powers. Namor ends up escaping and swearing revenge on the surface world.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 2 (Marvel Mystery Comics #5–8) or any other available reprints.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-29-2016 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added link to Marvel Masterworks

Love it! Wow, how many of Marvel's heroes have ever had to face the electric Chair? Especially in the Golden Age of comics!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Love it! Wow, how many of Marvel's heroes have ever had to face the electric Chair? Especially in the Golden Age of comics!!
    Indeed. This is why I laugh at posts where people say Namor gets a pass and isn't held accountable.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I love the first panel, proto-splash / recap page on these stories. Everett always added some cool decorative motifs, like Namor's chair with the anchor in this one. This one was even more cool, with the recap on the scroll, and the idea that Namor himself was writing it. Something we see used later by Everett in the Kid Namor journals, and even later by Roy Thomas in Saga of Subby.

Plus, I think he always signed it ... which wasn't the norm either, I believe.

I also have to call attention to that Fish Thak-Korr panel. Scary! It goes right up there with Scary Fen avatar Cold Water has used.

I just realized, from a comment Thor-El made elsewhere, that this would be an excellent time to look for T-Shirt worthy panels!

Mighty Member

Namor at this point becomes a savage monster, launching a one man war against the surface world. He invades the Statue of Liberty claiming it as his headquarters. Its like an immature teenager with the power of a god launching a temper tantrum against the human race. He causes several catastrophies. At this point I'm not sure how can he ever be trusted. The policemen don't know how to handle him and go ask for help from Betty Dean who Namor still feels betrayed from. He comes to her and she pleads him to leave the city that she is afraid for him as the Human Torch has joined the police and he will come for him next. This sets up the first team up / crossover appearance (with Original Human Torch) that created the concept of a shared Marvel Universe.

Last edited by Thor-El; 01-29-2016 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added link to Marvel Masterworks

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I just realized, from a comment Thor-El made elsewhere, that this would be an excellent time to look for T-Shirt worthy panels!
    Cool, I'll be on the lookout!

Mighty Member

After reading Marvel Mystery Comics #7 I realize when Stan Lee took over most of these horrible acts depicted here by Namor must have been retconned. From this story its so easy to hate Namor and think the character unredeemable. He is so very far from the heroic prince of the seas presented in television which is my biggest Namor influence since I really love those cartoons. I don't know how Betty Dean can feel sympathetic with such a monster. I need to read some Bill Everett interviews, as I wonder why would he write his character causing such horrible, malignant acts if at the end he is to become a hero. I guess Namor appeals to the idealist in us thinking everyone can be redeemed and hoping that person who has fallen deep in the wrong path will one day see the light and change his ways or we can just ignore this as pure fantasy and fake deaths, still I have to say honestly it rubs me the wrong way.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-25-2016 at 01:57 PM.