Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast

Sounds great! I'll try and keep up.

I made time to read FF #4 over the weekend. Namor is really only in the last 1/4 of it. I think what struck me the first time i read this (in 2013) was the fact that Namor is kinda justified in wanting to get rid of the human race.

Also, the FF really never has to deal with Namor head on here. Sure, Johnny does some weird power (he had so many "plot" powers in pre 1968 marvel) to tornado him away. But they don't cause him any harm.

This issue really sells the fact that the Sub-Mariner is someone they fear and is not someone to be taken lightly. I'm looking forward to reading his next FF appearance in #6.

Are you planning on reading every silver age appearance? So we'll go FF#4, #6, 9, ST #107, FF #14, FF Annual #1, Avengers #3 and so on?
    Last edited by Mormegil; 01-06-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Mighty Member

Continuing where we left in 2016 and dedicated to the memory of Mantis Girl. I hope you are looking from heaven, smiling and joining us in spirit, we miss you, our lovely friend.

Last time we left Namor on one of his many adventures around the United States. Now he returns home to his palace under the sea were his mother, who has been ruling in his absence tells him she is worried about how the Nazis have been advancing in his attempt to take over France. Immediately Namor starts directing his army and planning on helping France fight Nazi Germany. With his fleet of torpedo boats Namor heads over France, were he gathers and rallies the French opposition and equips them with arms. With the help of the armed citizens Namor and his troops are able to drive the Nazis away and start the process of liberating France.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story for the sole purpose of generating discussion in a forum.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Continuing where we left in 2016 and dedicated to the memory of Mantis Girl. I hope you are looking from heaven, smiling and joining us in spirit, we miss you, our lovely friend.

Last time we left Namor on one of his many adventures around the United States. Now he returns home to his palace under the sea were his mother, who has been ruling in his absence tells him she is worried about how the Nazis have been advancing in his attempt to take over France. Immediately Namor starts directing his army and planning on helping France fight Nazi Germany. With his fleet of torpedo boats Namor heads over France, were he gathers and rallies the French opposition and equips them with arms. With the help of the armed citizens Namor and his troops are able to drive the Nazis away and start the process of liberating France.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story for the sole purpose of generating discussion in a forum.
    What a wonderful dedication, Thor-El. Looking through this thread will always be a bit bittersweet.

I bet Abe will enjoy this issue also.

So, what happened to Tha-Korr if Princess Fen is ruling Atlantis?

The costumes are awesome. I love Namor's little collar pins. And that bandolier he's wearing.

I will say, I think the strategy should have included rescuing the French prisoners BEFORE raiding the Nazis.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    I made time to read FF #4 over the weekend. Namor is really only in the last 1/4 of it. I think what struck me the first time i read this (in 2013) was the fact that Namor is kinda justified in wanting to get rid of the human race.

Also, the FF really never has to deal with Namor head on here. Sure, Johnny does some weird power (he had so many "plot" powers in pre 1968 marvel) to tornado him away. But they don't cause him any harm.

This issue really sells the fact that the Sub-Mariner is someone they fear and is not someone to be taken lightly. I'm looking forward to reading his next FF appearance in #6.

Are you planning on reading every silver age appearance? So we'll go FF#4, #6, 9, ST #107, FF #14, FF Annual #1, Avengers #3 and so on?
    Ah, Mormegil, I'm sorry. I got behind again. I'll try to put something up tonight. But yes, the next issue should be FF 6. There's a Silver Age (and Golden Age) reading order started on the first couple of posts.

I have to agree with all your points. It was weird that the first chapter, IIRC, was something like, The Coming of the Sub-Mariner .... but he never showed up in that chapter!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    What a wonderful dedication, Thor-El. Looking through this thread will always be a bit bittersweet.

I bet Abe will enjoy this issue also.
    I know

So, what happened to Tha-Korr if Princess Fen is ruling Atlantis?
    Remember Tha-Korr was killed in Sub-mariner No. 1 https://community.cbr.com/showthread...adathon/page12

The costumes are awesome. I love Namor's little collar pins. And that bandolier he's wearing.

I will say, I think the strategy should have included rescuing the French prisoners BEFORE raiding the Nazis.
    I also like what he is wearing when starting to prepare the trip to the surface world: the toga with munition chest strap, golden band on the biceps and gloves, quite the eclectic style . You can also see the Roman helmets on the generals.

Agreed on should have freed the prisoners first but perhaps they were hidden too well even for Namor spies to find out their whereabouts.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-15-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I know

Remember Tha-Korr was killed in Sub-mariner No. 1 https://community.cbr.com/showthread...adathon/page12

I also like what he is wearing when starting to prepare the trip to the surface world: the toga with munition chest strap, golden band on the biceps and gloves, quite the eclectic style . You can also see the Roman helmets on the generals.

Agreed on should have freed the prisoners first but perhaps they were hidden too well even for Namor spies to find out their whereabouts.
    Probably not enough Nazi punching in doing that... plus they don't seem to want to change too much about what was actually happening in the war.

That's right, and I did point out there also that Tha-Korr's death came and went over the Golden / Atlas era.

Mighty Member

Continuing with the Sub-mariner Golden Age publications in chronological order. Next comes Sub-Mariner comic #5 published in the spring of 1942. Here the Germans take a back seat and these are war stories where the Japanese are the main enemies. In the first one Namor thwarts a Japanese invasion to Australia and on the second story Namor rescues a spy from the Japanese that had invaded Manila in the Philippines. The penciling of the first story is accredited to Bill Everett with another inker, the second story is accredited to Syd Shores.

I see we've gotten to the racist caricature, war propaganda era of the Golden Age.

That said there's still some classic Golden Age moments, including his catch phrase, "Come to Papa!" LOL! I love the 'getting fresh' panel. And never knew punching someone out was also called "kissing?"

I can believe the first story is by Bill Everett. Besides certain stylistic choices, there's the details on that special sub-marine Namor has invented. Everett portrayed Namor as something of a Tony Stark character, always tinkering and inventing stuff. Remember the Blitz Buggy Jeep?

The second story is notable for Namor pulling that lifeboat with his TEETH! LOL! Also an appearance by MacArthur himself?!

Thanks for posting this, Thor-El! Another much needed kick in my pants. ;p

Mighty Member

I see we've gotten to the racist caricature, war propaganda era of the Golden Age.

That said there's still some classic Golden Age moments, including his catch phrase, "Come to Papa!" LOL! I love the 'getting fresh' panel. And never knew punching someone out was also called "kissing?"

I can believe the first story is by Bill Everett. Besides certain stylistic choices, there's the details on that special sub-marine Namor has invented. Everett portrayed Namor as something of a Tony Stark character, always tinkering and inventing stuff. Remember the Blitz Buggy Jeep?

The second story is notable for Namor pulling that lifeboat with his TEETH! LOL! Also an appearance by MacArthur himself?!

Thanks for posting this, Thor-El! Another much needed kick in my pants. ;p
    I know the war propaganda and racial caricature can get offensive. Besides that I find the action in these stories amazing. Namor feats of strength are great here, he is a one man army really putting into play all his superpowers, superstrength, fly and being able to breathe underwater, causing all kinds of damage going against submarines, battleships, airplanes, that just in the first story. Then in the second one tugging on a boat with his teeth and pulling a battle tank out of the water. There is some torture scenes of the lady spy Gi-gi at the hands of the Japanese I omitted here but as you see she survives and is able to deliver her message thanks to Namor. There is a lot that is left out, I recommend anyone with interest in the golden age to pick these stories. I have been able to now own most of the available Namor golden age masterworks from comixology. I wish they had everything reprinted but there are some issues Marvel is still missing.

Below there is a excerpt where Marvel editor in chief, writer and Invaders creator Roy Thomas talks about this issue in the Marvel Masterworks volume introduction

Last edited by Thor-El; 02-04-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Mighty Member

I know we have discussed some of the Human Torch comic GA Namor stories in this thread but in keeping with the format I'm using I will start in my next review with Human Torch issue #2 (Red Raven #1 was the first issue and there is no Sub-mariner story there.) and go up until Human Torch #7 to get caught up with the Spring of 1942 as I have the three Golden Age Masterworks that Marvel has produced and can review at least up to that volume.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    Wow, this is a very cool thread. I don't have any substantial thoughts yet but I wanted to comment in appreciation of the panels being shared
    Thor-El has been doing a great job!

Didn't know you liked the Golden Age stuff, Hrist. Of course, Betty Dean is an awesome character. She's not really an a$$ kicker, despite being a police woman, but was a capable, strong willed woman, who had no problem standing up to Namor and going on adventures with him.

Here's a nice write up on her from the 70th Anniversary Daily Bugle. Click on the image to see it bigger / readable.

Betcha the MCU Peggy Carter would get along quite well with the MCU Betty Dean had she made her debut in the 2015-2016 Agent Carter series.

update needed: No prospects for any inclusion in animation for Namor? Just wondering. I really hope he can get to be part of an animated DTV film or a solo animated show, TV, web, wherever.

BANNED

I liked that the character was the star of his own animation series in 1966...

BANNED

Kamandi meets Sub-Mariner and The Hulk