Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Hahahahaha! I love how the baby is looking all skeptically at the nurse as if remaining with Namor might be the better option.
    Ha! That baby definitely thinks Namor is the better option -- Namor can juggle elephants!

I am trying to catch up, guys, sorry!
    I was not feeling well over the weekend.
    I made it up to Marvel Comics #4 last night.
    Hopefully, I can get caught up to you tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Good to know you are with us Cold Water. Hope you feel better. My daughter is feeling sick today and missing school, seems the cold weather is bringing the flu around.
    Sorry to hear that -- hope everyone feels better soon. Seems like I'm constantly dealing with some minor sinus issues -- but it is the season. This weekend definitely got away from me, as far as catching up.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-26-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Hahahahaha! I love how the baby is looking all skeptically at the nurse as if remaining with Namor might be the better option.
    I love what Betty says to Torch; "You're an idiot"! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    I know! BAHAHAHA!
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Betty Dean. All Around Awesome!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Thanks, guys!
    It's mainly just allergies.
    Out of nowhere, when the weather went from zero degrees, back up to above freezing, my allergies flared up. And I couldn't sleep right at night. But it got below freezing again, and now I feel a little better.

I am so infatuated with Everett's Namor right now, guys. It's not even funny.

Thanks, guys!
    It's mainly just allergies.
    Out of nowhere, when the weather went from zero degrees, back up to above freezing, my allergies flared up. And I couldn't sleep right at night. But it got below freezing again, and now I feel a little better.

I am so infatuated with Everett's Namor right now, guys. It's not even funny.
    As it should be.

It is interesting to see the powers Namor has to fight the Torch ... like his personal water sprinkler! LOL!

The weather is insane. It's like a yo yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    These stories are really interesting... And I'm less shocked than you, my friends - I must confess it... Because it's just characters made of paper !

Thinking about that version of Namor in New York, I can only thing about the great King Kong. I guess he killed a few ones too - or could - and doesn't seem to act like an usual hero too. It's interesting to compare him with this early version of Namor.
    Wow. Great call, Abe. Didn't think of that at all. It even fits with Fay Wray / Betty Dean!

My FAVE, absolute FAVE page from this story is this:

His behavior is so ridiculous that I absolutely LOVE it.
    Master of Redirection.
    Poor baby. I can kind of relate to this page, because if I bump my head, man, thank god I don't have super powers, because I'd totally pull a stunt like this.
    hahahahaha!
    LOL! Good to know. Run away if Cold Water bumps her head.

These are some amazing panels. Besides his firey attack, Namor looks very ... creepy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    As it should be.

It is interesting to see the powers Namor has to fight the Torch ... like his personal water sprinkler! LOL!

The weather is insane. It's like a yo yo.
    HA!
    I am really enjoying golden age Sub-Mariner in MMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    LOL! Good to know. Run away if Cold Water bumps her head.

These are some amazing panels. Besides his firey attack, Namor looks very ... creepy here.
    It's Everett's art. When I started reading his real early golden age stuff here, it was a bit jarring for my eyes because I was soooo not used to Namor looking like this.
    But now? Now I prefer him like this.
    I love that back in Namor's earliest days, Everett had intended for him to look more human than Atlantean, but you can definitely tell that he is still not JUST human more than you can nowadays.

Mighty Member

Marvel Mystery Comics # 9 is a very well orchestrated 22 pages battle of Namor vs the Human Torch and the police force. I love so much these kinds of slugfest in comics and so much happens it was really hard to choose the panels I was going to present. It starts with the Human Torch going to the statue of Liberty that Namor has claimed as his headquarters to resume their fight started last issue. Namor is prepared with a compressed air tank that seems to stun the Torch long enough for Namor to knock him so hard he falls into the sea. Namor plans to take him to Atlantis to study him but an accident happens where the compressed air tank goes off creating a giant bubble that encapsulates the unconscious Human Torch and takes him back to the surface were he awakes and escapes Namor. Next Namor goes on TV to taunt the torch into coming after him, once they meet again in the TV station they both take to the air. In their aerial fight the torch launches a flame attack and Namor dives into a water reservoir to avoid the flames. The Torch makes the surface of the water reservoir a blazing inferno. It seems that the high content of chlorine poisons Namor, but he is trapped since the raging inferno above prevents him from escaping the water. Between the heat and the poisonous water finally Namor passes out. Police airplanes now go and bomb the water reservoir which blasts the Submariner out of the reservoir and wakes him up. Now a groggy Namor confronts the Human Torch who engulfs him in fire, Namor sprinkler system protects somewhat his skin but his ankle wings get burned and Namor looses his ability to fly. He jumps on board of a police airplane that is blasting its guns at his impervious skin. Namor throws the policeman out of the plane but first activates his parachute to save his life. Surprisingly looks like Namor is starting to avoid unnecessary killings. Once Torch sees the policeman is out of the plane and safe he confronts Namor in the air blasting the plane but Namor escapes into the water below. Torch returns to the police headquarters where they plan to use chemical weapons to destroy Namor. They decide sulphuric acid will be strong enough to burn through his tough skin. Betty Dean horrified tries to convince them against this but they ignore her. Once in the lab and after the Torch is armed with giant decanters of sulphuric acid, Namor presents himself in the lab where he manages to avoid the decanters of the deadly liquid thrown at him. Namor then comes by a two ton translate case too heavy for the Human Torch to lift but easily lifted by him and traps the Torch inside it. With all the oxygen consumed the Torch flames doze off and he ends up trapped inside the giant tube. The story ends with an impasse with Namor unable to finish the Torch as if he lifts the translate the Torch will get the oxygen to flame on and the Torch Namor's prisoner, so the narrator exhorts the reader to come up with a solution for next issue.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 3 (Marvel Mystery Comics #9–12) or any other available reprints.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...2PF3818RHV5YY0
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-29-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added link to Marvel Masterworks
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

OMG, I love it!!!!!!!!!! THOR-EY you are AWESOME!

This is now the 1st post I look forward too and look for when I log on!

Not only is it great that you can share panels with us; but your write ups are great as well!

I promise to read all the SA comics I have, but please don't stop posting these GA wonders!

Mighty Member

OMG, I love it!!!!!!!!!! THOR-EY you are AWESOME!

This is now the 1st post I look forward too and look for when I log on!

Not only is it great that you can share panels with us; but your write ups are great as well!

I promise to read all the SA comics I have, but please don't stop posting these GA wonders!
    Thank you Mantis Girl. I'm having fun doing this. Namor has always been a favorite of mine but I've always been on the fence about getting really into the character as I always read Avengers not Defenders when I was a kid and his regular series had already gotten cancelled. Now decades later that Alex Ross cover with Hyperion really spiked my interest in the character and I found the lot of you passionate Namor fans that finally pushed me over the edge to become a fan and decided to really explore the character, and what better way than reading his adventures in chronological order and share with you guys.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Thank you Mantis Girl. I'm having fun doing this. Namor has always been a favorite of mine but I've always been on the fence about getting really into the character as I always read Avengers not Defenders when I was a kid and his regular series had already gotten cancelled. Now decades later that Alex Ross cover with Hyperion really spiked my interest in the character and I found the lot of you passionate Namor fans that finally pushed me over the edge to become a fan and decided to really explore the character, and what better way than reading his adventures in chronological order and share with you guys.
    I agree...don't stop don't stop!

Wish you posted these 3x a day LOL

Mighty Member

Lol, wish I had the time.

Lol, wish I had the time.
    Indeed! You might have to do without sleep to keep up with that schedule ... as fabulous as it would be.

This really is an amazing, seminal issue -- so much so, Marvel just keeps on repeating the battle of heroes vs heroes. But I don't think they'll ever match the sheer exuberance of these issues. You can almost feel the overdose of coffee and cigarettes and camaraderie fueling this done in one weekend insane slugfest!