Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Indeed! You might have to do without sleep to keep up with that schedule ... as fabulous as it would be.

This really is an amazing, seminal issue -- so much so, Marvel just keeps on repeating the battle of heroes vs heroes. But I don't think they'll ever match the sheer exuberance of these issues. You can almost feel the overdose of coffee and cigarettes and camaraderie fueling this done in one weekend insane slugfest!
    Tell me about it! So this was done in a week-end!!! Would love to see pictures of Bill Everett and Carl Burgos working at the studio.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Oh you tricked me! I just woke up and came here... When I saw Thor-El posted I was like yes!!!!.....but then....

Not that I don't enjoy your regular posts too...but you have spoiled us LOL

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Oh you tricked me! I just woke up and came here... When I saw Thor-El posted I was like yes!!!!.....but then....

Not that I don't enjoy your regular posts too...but you have spoiled us LOL
    Lol, working on it right now.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Mighty Member

This issue gets us introduced to a couple of rich adventurers from Maine; Luther Robinson and his girlfriend Lynne. Luther has been reading about the Sub-mariner exploits in New York and he decides to go after Namor so he mounts an expedition to the Arctic to hunt him down. He gathers a crew of the toughest seamen money can recruit and leaves in what seems more like a battleship with armed airplanes and even a submarine equipped with torpedoes. Namor has been back in Atlantis in disgrace after his failed mission of conquest to the surface world as he ended up promising Betty Dean he would leave them be after his battle with the Torch last issue. Now while swimming with his cousin Dorma he spots the ship and is soon attacked. He and Dorma manage to escape and warn the atlanteans. Now the ship confronts the atlantean navy, heavily armed Luther's ship, the Colleen dispatches a naval and aerial attack against the atlanteans. Namor infiltrates the Colleen and abducts Luther's girlfriend Lynne. Luther follows him in a submarine and launches a powerful torpedo that blows up Namor's vessel, sending Lynne to the surface were Luther rescues her and takes her back to the ship. Namor wakes up after being stunned by the explosion and swears the invaders won't leave his country alive.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 3 (Marvel Mystery Comics #9–12) or any other available reprints.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...2PF3818RHV5YY0
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-29-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added link to Marvel Masterworks

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Tell me about it! So this was done in a week-end!!! Would love to see pictures of Bill Everett and Carl Burgos working at the studio.
    I don't know of any of them working together in a studio ... or any of the weekend party that created the cross over epic Torch Namor battle.

Here's two that I know of Everett studio / drawing.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    This issue gets us introduced to a couple of rich adventurers from Maine; Luther Robinson and his girlfriend Lynne. Luther has been reading about the Sub-mariner exploits in New York and he decides to go after Namor so he mounts an expedition to the Arctic to hunt him down. He gathers a crew of the toughest seamen money can recruit and leaves in what seems more like a battleship with armed airplanes and even a submarine equipped with torpedoes. Namor has been back in Atlantis in disgrace after his failed mission of conquest to the surface world as he ended up promising Betty Dean he would leave them be after his battle with the Torch last issue. Now while swimming with his cousin Dorma he spots the ship and is soon attacked. He and Dorma manage to escape and warn the atlanteans. Now the ship confronts the atlantean navy, heavily armed Luther's ship, the Colleen dispatches a naval and aerial attack against the atlanteans. Namor infiltrates the Colleen and abducts Luther's girlfriend Lynne. Luther follows him in a submarine and launches a powerful torpedo that blows up Namor's vessel, sending Lynne to the surface were Luther rescues her and takes her back to the ship. Namor wakes up after being stunned by the explosion and swears the invaders won't leave his country alive.

I don't care what anyone says, the ladies are Namor's fatal flaw.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Thank you Thor-Ey!

"They'll never leave this country alive"!

Oooooo, I have goosebumps waiting for the next installment!

It goes south for Luther and Lynne... and Namor. O_O

Mighty Member

In the 11th issue of Marvel Mystery Comics we start with Luther mounting an expedition to go hunt for Namor at the icebergs. Once over the icebergs the atlanteans army easily eliminate the invaders capturing Luther and Mickey as the only survivors of the hunting squad. They are both taken to the emperor who confronts them with Namor. Namor as the hot tempered lad he is, at the sight of Luther jumps over him and almost kills him if not for the emperor who orders the guards to subdue Namor and orders him out of the throne room. The emperor questions Luther and Mickey then banishes both into confinement until proper trial. Meanwhile Namor goes to his cousin Dorma for advice on how to get rid of the invaders. She advises him to blow up the ship and capture Lynne Harris so at least she dies with her sweetheart Luther Robinson. Dorma abducts Lynne and Namor sinks the Colleen, but before he abducts a plane and strategically leaves it close to the icebergs near the chambers where Luther and Lynne are being held prisoners. Namor then informs Luther he had sink his ship and all his men are lost and he has also captured Lynne. After Namor leaves Luther and Mickey escape their quarters and find Lynne. They all manage to exit out to the icebergs were they find the plane Namor has left for them and escape while Namor watches. Namor had left the plane intentionally available to them hoping they would have the courage to attempt an escape.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 3 (Marvel Mystery Comics #9–12) or any other available reprints.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-29-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added link to Marvel Masterworks

I'm not sure which one is more attention grabbing in that panel ... Namor yelling he'll break the interloper's skull, or that diamond patterned outfit he's wearing.

What the heck was Dorma thinking???

"don't worry my pretty little dumb bell"! LMAO!!!!!!

Also that outfit of Subby's....Yikes!

TY again T-Ey...I am in heaven when you post these....Believe it!!!!!!

Thanks so much for all this marvelous work, Thor-El !

I only have the MMW vol 1 and 4 of Marvel Comic and the anniversary edition of the cross-over with the Torch , and I must confess that I haven't read them yet ! So I haven't understood yet that the serial narration of Namor was so epic ! Your selection of panels and your texts - both absolutely excellent - are perfect to feel the evolution of the characterization of Namor in the first years of his interaction with the surface. I really do wonder what would have happened to the character and the story if the context of the WWII hadn't interact with the writing...

BTW, did the character had success before that ? Will he have lasted that long or get forgotten like The Fin or Amazing Man ?... I tend to think that the character would have had a long life. He's such a perfect mix of elements incarnated in a very original and complex personality : the young Sub-Mariner sounds "real" as an individual, while caring a lot of symbolic elements - like if Everett chose bits of Greek mythology and of 1930's pop (???) culture (I'm thinking about Superman, Atlantis from Buck Roger's strips, Tarzan / Johnny Weissmuller or) King Kong and fused them all in this angry and complex young "man" he created. It's surely a more viable creation that Dirk The Demon !

And there are also all the stories published in the other mags... All-Winners and Sub-Mariner comics at least... I wish they release a collected edition of the stories by characters : A GA Omnibus Namor or Human Torch or Vision would be so great ! (Not that sure about Electro...). Do these stories follows their own "epic" storyline or are they more like one-shot - or were they connected sometimes like in an event ? It's not only the birth of a character but the birth of a medium - I mean a commercial one too...

You Namor's fans are really great : your passion allows such a wonderful travel through decades of comics history, with so much fun and surprises ! Keep on feeding us with you post Thor-El ! I can't wait for what comes next ! (I've already read the issues 13 to 16 (MMW vol 4) while drinking my coffee this morning... Funny things are coming ... Including crazy costumes... I love both Namor's and Dorma's in the last scan BTW... It won't be a surprise for anyone I guess... ...)

Mighty Member

And already on to Marvel Mystery Comics #12! Namor's mother wants him to take the human Lynne Harris for his wife so Namor goes after the ill fated plane that just escaped the submariners. The plane has crashed and it seems that the crew has been rescued by a Nazi submarine. Namor invades the submarine and forces the general to hand Lynne in exchange for him and his men leaving peacefully from the submarine. As Namor leaves a Britisher approaches so a battle between the British ship and the German submarine starts. Thinking Namor's vessel is part of the Nazis the British attack Namor so he retaliates. At the end both British and German vessels are destroyed and as a second rescue British warship approaches Namor leaves with Lynne as his prisoner bride to be. Once back in the arctic the submariners prepare Lynne for an operation to make her the first human water breather as part of preparing her to be Namor's mate. The operation is finished and a success when suddenly Luther irrupts into the operation chamber with a grenade that stuns everyone and leaves with the still drugged Lynne to a British boat awaiting outside. The British warship rescued him from the sank German submarine. Back in the submariners operation room, Namor comes back to its senses as the British warship navigates away with Lynne & Luther.

Last edited by Thor-El; 01-30-2016 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added link to Marvel Masterworks

Thank you again! Loved it!

Nice to see the story continuing from the last issue...

"3/4 blood"??? I would of thought Namor was 1/2 and 1/2

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Thank you again! Loved it!

Nice to see the story continuing from the last issue...

"3/4 blood"??? I would of thought Namor was 1/2 and 1/2
    Yes, I noticed that about the 3/4 human blood which implies Namor's mom Fen has to be a hybrid too? If Fen is 1/2 human, 1/2 submariner then Namor would be 3/4 human, 1/4 submariner.

I also noticed Lynn and Luther weren't war prisoners of the Germans which made sense as the United States have not yet joined the war. So I did a quick internet search to refresh my History: "Although the war began with Nazi Germany's attack on Poland in September 1939, the United States did not enter the war until after the Japanese bombed the American fleet in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on December 7, 1941."

That's the great thing about these comic books, its like taking a travel back in time and waiting for these huge historical events unfold.