Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    The weird triangular face can be seen also in the Sub-Mariner Comics magazine at a time, while in the first issues of All Winners Everett draws the Sub-Mariner stories (like the one with Strong Gal). Haven't Everett had a time in the army that led to a change of artist ?
    Exactly. I think Everett joined in 1942. He got back in time to do some Subby stories around issue 20s.

Yes ! Both are awesome !

There's a team of killer swordfishes too - linked to a strange cult or secret society IIRC... It's just : wow!!!
    Killer swordfishes! Can't wait to read that.

It is interesting, considering how ... rude Namor can be to other folks.

I'm still intrigued by the SS Recovery boat in the first issue... But I love over interpreting things...
    Hmmm. I'm trying to remember ... was it the SS part? Or the Recovery part?

I can do that ! But nothing really interesting :

Dépéchez." Hurry up.

"Qu'est-ce que c'est ?" What is that ?

"C'est bon." That's good.

I like the French guys : how they look or react. Mustaches and kinda of different take on the character of Namor. Really funny ! But I'm troubled by the island. In one of the stories we can see palm trees is the background... So it must be a Caribbean island... But it doesn't really look like that Still not really realistic but tasting a little bit more like Martinique or Guadeloupe, a few years later Howard Hawks will give us that :

Thanks for the translations! I wonder if Everett spoke French or if someone else at Funnies did? His German was ... sadly lacking.

I think it was supposed to be in the Carribean ... didn't they say it was near Florida?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Greetings, Chicken! is hilarious and one of the things I love about Namor's Golden Age appearances.

Hmmm. I don't know. I've only really read the Namor stuff, and I get the feeling that he's more amusing than others. Definitely haven't read any DC stuff, but I bet the Wonder Woman stuff is a lot of fun.
    The first Wonder Woman years are sometimes really weird ! I still have to actually read the book but I saw quite crazy things... Not really for little girls if you want my opinion... I collected also some Batman (the GA Omnibus) and Superman (The War Years) : they seem to be less crazy, but still fun - especially Batman. But not as amusing as Namor I guess. Though the pacing in the storytelling or the crazy pulp tropes are always delightful. I've started also reading the first Sunday pages of Miss Fury by Tarpé Mills - June Tarpé Mills : a woman artist btw...

It's also a nice funny reading.

Taking also in consideration other kind of comics like the Jungle and SF related ones from the GA (I'm a customer of the Roy Thomas Presents books...), I have the feeling that Marvel GA Superheroes ares a bit more crazy than what can be read in the other comics of that time : among many others the superheroes in Mystic comics (I got the MMW vol 1) are really weird - as the stories in which they appear (and there aren't many).

A good example of the unusual imagination of the Marvel/Timely creators in those early years is, in the pages of Marvel Mystery Comics #13, how the GA Vision created by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon is based on a really intriguing scientific concept : "Science discovers SMOKE to be the long sought-for-gateway to super-natural". It gives that kind of panel :

It makes me really wonder what kind of cigars Jack used to smoke at the time...

Anyway I really enjoy reading those crazy stories from a different time ! And Namor's ones definitively have a different taste.

EDIT : This wonderful page : http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/library.html will lead you to other ones with sample pages !!!

I recommend you strongly this one :
    http://www.collectededitions.com/mar...stic_mm01.html
    where you'll meet a few forgotten characters :

In this fully restored collection you’ll encounter comics first super-stretching hero—Flexo the Rubber Robot; the hero from beyond the grave—the Blue Blaze; the Dynamic Man, Master Mind Excello, the invisible Dr. Gade, Dakor the Magician, Zara of the Jungle, the Space Rangers, Hercules, the devil-possessed Black Widow, and more!
    Try the Blue Blaze at least ! Or Dakor...

This book is really great too (still need to really read it) :

http://www.fantagraphics.com/supermen/

I think that soon the volumes of the Bill Everett's Archives, by the same publisher, will join it...
    Last edited by Abe; 02-03-2016 at 03:32 AM.

The first Wonder Woman years are sometimes really weird ! I still have to actually read the book but I saw quite crazy things... Not really for little girls if you want my opinion... I collected also some Batman (the GA Omnibus) and Superman (The War Years) : they seem to be less crazy, but still fun - especially Batman. But not as amusing as Namor I guess. Though the pacing in the storytelling or the crazy pulp tropes are always delightful. I've started also reading the first Sunday pages of Miss Fury by Tarpé Mills - June Tarpé Mills : a woman artist btw...

It's also a nice funny reading.
    Much like

Hmmmm. Didn't realize that Miss Fury was by a woman. Could be interesting. Looks like it might be a cross between British Avengers Emma Peele and Modesty Blaise.

Given Moulton's background, perhaps Golden Wonder Woman isn't for the preteen, but that's exactly why I figured it would be ... outrageous fun.

Batman DOES have some hilarious panels, but I was thinking alot of them were from the Silver Age.

If you like weird / fun panels sort of like the 365 thread, but for all characters from DC and Marvel, this is a great tumblr. I keep thinking I should submit some Namor ones.

http://onepanelusubmit.tumblr.com/

Taking also in consideration other kind of comics like the Jungle and SF related ones from the GA (I'm a customer of the Roy Thomas Presents books...), I have the feeling that Marvel GA Superheroes ares a bit more crazy than what can be read in the other comics of that time : among many others the superheroes in Mystic comics (I got the MMW vol 1) are really weird - as the stories in which they appear (and there aren't many).
    I get that feeling also. It's interesting that even this early Marvel and DC were revealing different styles and takes on the superheroes.

Ha. I'm not surprised you enjoy those Roy Thomas Presents books. They do look nice.

A good example of the unusual imagination of the Marvel/Timely creators in those early years is, in the pages of Marvel Mystery Comics #13, how the GA Vision created by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon is based on a really intriguing scientific concept : "Science discovers SMOKE to be the long sought-for-gateway to super-natural". It gives that kind of panel :

It makes me really wonder what kind of cigars Jack used to smoke at the time...
    LOL! Indeed, some mind altering smoke. ;p

Anyway I really enjoy reading those crazy stories from a different time ! And Namor's ones definitively have a different taste.

EDIT : This wonderful page : http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/library.html will lead you to other ones with sample pages !!!

I recommend you strongly this one :
    http://www.collectededitions.com/mar...stic_mm01.html
    where you'll meet a few forgotten characters :

Try the Blue Blaze at least ! Or Dakor...

This book is really great too (still need to really read it) :

http://www.fantagraphics.com/supermen/

I think that soon the volumes of the Bill Everett's Archives, by the same publisher, will join it...
    Hmmmm. I wonder if that Supermen book has some info about Namor? I'm often disappointed by comic history books, that skim over the Marvel characters, including Namor.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

OMG! No new GA Post...what will I do?
    Where will I go?
    Who will make my biscuits?
    Is this the end of the world?
    SHould I start paying attention to what my mum and other JW's are saying?
    Should I bleach my hair, trim my nails, shave my pits? (have not armpit hair, just a joke okay!?) LOL
    Where is Thor-Ey? Where oh where??????????? Auntie Em, Auntie Em... The twister that fortells the end of Kansas is growing neigh.....
    Help oh help CBR-CSI.......where are you?!

OF ALL THE HUMANITY'S!!!!!!! HEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Where will I go?
    Should I bleach my hair, trim my nails, shave my pits? (have not armpit hair, just a joke okay!?) LOL
    Where is Thor-Ey? Where oh where??????????? Auntie Em, Auntie Em... The twister that fortells the end of Kansas is growing neigh.....

Indeed, someone should give a call to the police...

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

365 Days with Namor, Day 33

"GREETINGS CHICKEN!!!

I didn’t expect to find YOU here! Is your boyfriend in?"

I'm going to let this panel speak for itself.
    Golden Age Namor is the GREATEST!

Big thank you to Thor-El for finding this panel in the Readathon!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Where will I go?

LOL! Poor Mantis Girl. I'll see what I can do to alleviate the pain.

Indeed, someone should give a call to the police...
    LOL! Excellent, Abe!

Human Torch 2
    Fall 1940
    September 25, 1940

“Sub-Mariner Crashes New York Again!”

Writer: Bill Everett
    Pencils: Bill Everett

RATINGS
    Reviresco:
    CBR Readers:
    Supermegamonkey: 2.5 / 5
    Supermegamonkey Readers: 4 / 5

REVIEWS / LINKS
    http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chron...-mariner.shtml
    SuperMegaMonkey's short, but illustrated, synopsis, placing the story in the MU chronology and there are some panels posted there, so check it out!

##########

This is a 12 page story which I imagine kids would have loved for the TOYS! Yep, that's Atlantean tech toys! Namor even opts to use his amazing Atlantean Amphibious Airplane to put the smackdown on his foes. It's an untitled story, but people use a newspaper headline as the title.

We also got an 'interview' with both Burgos and Everett about their respective creations. Here's Everett's:

The first page opens with a newspaper of Namor's exploits in NYC (presumably reporting on the Torch and Namor slug fest) and the headline (Sub-Mariner Crashes New York Again!). Two guys are talking about Namor, and the sabotage of some ships in Baltimore, allegedly by Fifth Columnists. Then ...

I've no idea why Namor is disguised as a dockhand, hanging around the docks of NYC. Also, this is why I said I didn't think Everett spoke German. Namor observes these two Germans diving back down to the U-Boat, and the trip repeated 8 more times. Namor surfaces and snoops around the Navy yards, where he hears about the launch of a new ship called the Armonk.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-03-2016 at 09:05 PM.

The Armonk is launched ...

What did it say???

They do meet up with Namor and he tells them about the German U-boat. After one of the Navy sailors dives in and verifies Namor's info...

Unfortunately, Namor's "help" isn't on target and the depth charge completely misses the German U-Boat. So Namor goes to Plan B.

Namor hauls the U-boat up onto the shore. And then we get this neat last panel that serves as an advertisement.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Perfect Rev! Loved it!

I feel like a person in a desert island for a year that finally found water....thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

BTW, I would love to talk Bill in German! I can actually understand what they are saying LOL

Bill is better than roseta stone! LOL
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

BANNED

do you guys think there was a racial aspect to the creation of namor

think about it, Namor, a white skinned man becomes leader of the "blue" (People of Color) Atlanteans...and becomes their king

it seems like they were playing on the "white savior/hero" trope... not as a overt racism but that sort of common trope

but of course namor was created in 1939...so

its just interesting

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post

think about it, Namor, a white skinned man becomes leader of the "blue" (People of Color) Atlanteans...and becomes their king

it seems like they were playing on the "white savior/hero" trope... not as a overt racism but that sort of common trope

its just interesting
    Perhaps. Do note, he is half-"blue" and his skin color could be compared to a person with albinism, if we draw parallels to people of color. Similarly to the "pink Kree" who resemble Caucasian humans but are merely a mutation of the blue-skinned Kree.
    Last edited by Vernedi; 02-03-2016 at 11:51 PM.

its just interesting
    He's not their king at the time. In fact I think it's quite the opposite : Namor is leading the war against white men in the first issues. Those are Everett's words.

its just interesting
    Have you read any of Thor-El's posts and montages? Cause I'm not sure where you are pulling the 'white savior' trope from when the panels and stories clearly say the opposite. The racial aspect of Namor is that he will always be 'other'.