Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member baycitybomber's Avatar

Default Mera Appreciation 2018

Mera Appreciation Thread

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

Spectacular Member baycitybomber's Avatar

I was surprised she didn't have a thread. Some projects she's currently headlining:

Mera: Queen of Atlantis mini
    8ujHm5k.jpg

Mera by Danielle Paige, a YA novel
    bpGxTKq.jpg

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Mera is awesome and absolutely deserves her own thread.

What better way to show our appreciation by sharing our first experience with the character?

For me, I first encountered Mera in Blackest Night. My friend and I were hanging out at our LCS. I was reading Blackest Night #1 (or was it one of the prelude books?) I was still pretty new to DC at the time so I didn't know who Mera was at all.

I remember pointing her out to my friend and asking "Hey, who's the redhead?" My friend had been reading comics for much longer than I had and even HE didn't recognize her right away. He squinted at her for a bit and then remembered "Oh, it's Mera! Aquaman’s wife! Haven't seen her in years."

I remember saying "Soooo, a long-lost love interest for a superhero shows up out of nowhere in an event that's being billed as a horror story? She's gonna die, isn't she?"

My friend was like " Oh yeah. She's dead. She is SO dead. She is MEGA dead!"

Good thing Geoff Johns was thinking "Bah! Mera is entirely too awesome to die!"
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Hail to the queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post

I remember saying "Soooo, a long-lost love interest for a superhero shows up out of nowhere in an event that's being billed as a horror story? She's gonna die, isn't she?"

My friend was like " Oh yeah. She's dead. She is SO dead. She is MEGA dead!"

Good thing Geoff Johns was thinking "Bah! Mera is entirely too awesome to die!"
    I've mentioned this on the Aquaman thread, but I continue to find it amusing how a lot of people nowadays can't imagine Arthur without Mera, seeing her as this ultimate badass, his equal partner and think that this is how things have always been...when the fact of the matter is that until Johns, she was mostly irrelevant, not even ever being the second most important character in the Aqua-franchise, that position being held by Garth, Dolphin or Lorena depending on the era, and she was barely in the two most popular eras for Aquaman stories (PAD and Sub-Diego).

I still think Blackest Night was bad for the Aquaman franchise (along with being a bad story in general) because despite what it did for Mera and how it brought back Arthur, it still killed Garth for no reason, but that's the trade-off you get with Johns. He tosses out a whole lot of crap and long term damage, but half-way makes up for it by occasionally doing something really great.

One Mera Appreciation... GOOD IDEA... She is one awesome character, I saw that when I met her in N52 Aquaman.

I am reading Mera serie, too..

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Ah, Mera. The only female DC character that I like more is Wonder Woman. Without question the greatest addition to the Aquaman mythos.

I got the Justice League movie DVD yesterday. It reminded me of just how gorgeous Amber Heard is in her costume:

Only someone truly beautiful can get away with portraying the Queen.

I didn't even saw that she still didn't have hers.

One of my fav characters overall at DC Comics and my fav of the Aquaman Family !

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Here we go! I can't believe she didn't already have a thread.

Mera is the best. By far one of my favorite characters. Johns, Parker, and Abnett have really out done themselves.

All hail the queen, y'all!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-28-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Woah totally thought she had a thread. All hail the Queen!
    Mera_(DC_Comics_character).jpg
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-28-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Love Mera! First read her in John's run and never stopped loving her since.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Love Mera! First read her in John's run and never stopped loving her since.
    Same, when I read Johns Aquaman she became one of my favorite characters in comics.
    Last edited by MosSuperman; 03-28-2018 at 07:18 PM.

I love her, she’s so Elizabethan and fierce

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I love Mera!
    aquaman_13_3.jpg