Page 10 of 134 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    somebody just posted this a few days ago

That scene where Vixen is running on the collapsing building ledges with the boy in her arms...I never understood why she did not just mimic the ability of a bat or a bird and just fly off the ledges and fly the boy to the ground. Did the writers of that episode forget that Vixen can fly when she needs to, or did they write it that way so that the scene would look more dramatic and exciting?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    That scene where Vixen is running on the collapsing building ledges with the boy in her arms...I never understood why she did not just mimic the ability of a bat or a bird and just fly off the ledges and fly the boy to the ground. Did the writers of that episode forget that Vixen can fly when she needs to, or did they write it that way so that the scene would look more dramatic and exciting?
    Vixen wasn't able to fly in this show for all intents and purposes.

There are several other instances where flight might have been helpful. For Example in Hunters Moon with Shayera and Vigilante, and she's knocked out of an airplane.

Her powers aren't explicitly explained as JLU didn't bother to do intros or origins, but they were clear enough. She can mimic the abilities of wild earth creatures, and they let us know which creature she is using most of the time. Off the top of my head we see her calling on a rhino, gecko, electric eel, snake (python), elephant, deer, gazelle and spider. And the show seems to make her innately agile with sharp finger tips/claws.

I'm assuming it was just a conscious decision because it looked better and they decided not to make Vixen a flyer. They've taken liberties with other characters. John Stewart didn't even make constructs in the first season of JLU just fire energy blasts and made bubbles etc. Flash and Superman were sometimes weakened for story purposes. Bruce Timm is on record saying he found Flash very difficult because his powers would allow him to solve certain situations too easily, plus he didn't seem to really get the speed force and how Flash could be so durable/strong when moving so fast, but so human at other moments.

There's always a few inconsistencies with superhero stories. You can't dwell on them too much as long as they aren't glaring. It's hard enough bringing these highly unrealistic characters to life as it is. So I'll give creator a pass now and than. Made for an entertaining episode.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Probably the best redesign done of her, yet.

I'm glad they at least haven't gone the Beast or Tigra route and made her look felinoid.

This is one of my favorite Vixen moments, pre-Nu52:

I remembers this from JLofA. I like the pairing of Vixen and Bronze Tiger too.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Vixen is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome! i absolutely LOVE the character! I wish she was used more AND given her own solo series.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Vixen wasn't able to fly in this show for all intents and purposes.

There are several other instances where flight might have been helpful. For Example in Hunters Moon with Shayera and Vigilante, and she's knocked out of an airplane.

Her powers aren't explicitly explained as JLU didn't bother to do intros or origins, but they were clear enough. She can mimic the abilities of wild earth creatures, and they let us know which creature she is using most of the time. Off the top of my head we see her calling on a rhino, gecko, electric eel, snake (python), elephant, deer, gazelle and spider. And the show seems to make her innately agile with sharp finger tips/claws.

I'm assuming it was just a conscious decision because it looked better and they decided not to make Vixen a flyer. They've taken liberties with other characters. John Stewart didn't even make constructs in the first season of JLU just fire energy blasts and made bubbles etc. Flash and Superman were sometimes weakened for story purposes. Bruce Timm is on record saying he found Flash very difficult because his powers would allow him to solve certain situations too easily, plus he didn't seem to really get the speed force and how Flash could be so durable/strong when moving so fast, but so human at other moments.

There's always a few inconsistencies with superhero stories. You can't dwell on them too much as long as they aren't glaring. It's hard enough bringing these highly unrealistic characters to life as it is. So I'll give creator a pass now and than. Made for an entertaining episode.
    i read somewhere that they didn't make her fly because the League had too many people with flight
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

RE: JLU Vixen

One reason she may not have flown with the kid was because she would have become too light to carry someone so heavy.

If DC were to make a Vixen movie, who would you all like to see portray Mari?

Does she have a Rogue's Gallery or her own, or does she just face the enemies that the Justice League or Suicide Squad faces?

I think her uncle could be considered a Rogue for her, but beyond that I'm not sure who her main enemies would be.
    Naomie Harris gets my vote as well.

She can always borrow a few Rogues here and there. Animal-Mineral-Vegetable-Man, Zebra Man, Rampage, Shrapnel, etc, all of them just waiting to be used.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroexxx View Post
    i read somewhere that they didn't make her fly because the League had too many people with flight
    that makes sense looking at how the creator approached other aspects of the shows

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    RE: JLU Vixen

One reason she may not have flown with the kid was because she would have become too light to carry someone so heavy.

I don't think Vixen's powers are as proportional to the actual animal she copies but more proportional to herself or what abilities she's trying to utilize. When she channeled a rhino or a elephant she only utilized their weights in select instances. And technically speaking there are eagles that could have carried the boy a short distance. Not that it matters because she didn't need to fly. However, a martial eagle is a bird of prey thats been reported to attack small children and even pick them up carrying them several feet.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Love the look. Though, I never understood why you cover the nails of a semi-feral character. Also it looks like Vixen eye color just changed from Hazel to Green....I'm down for that,

that makes sense looking at how the creator approached other aspects of the shows

I don't think Vixen's powers are as proportional to the actual animal she copies but more proportional to herself or what abilities she's trying to utilize. When she channeled a rhino or a elephant she only utilized their weights in select instances. And technically speaking there are eagles that could have carried the boy a short distance. Not that it matters because she didn't need to fly. However, a martial eagle is a bird of prey thats been reported to attack small children and even pick them up carrying them several feet.
    Vixen's powers are based on magic which has it's own set of rules that defies the laws of the universe. Her powers are also based on her believe system. If she believes an armored beetle can withstand a punch from Superman, it will. If she believes she can twist the light from a hatchet fish into a laser, it will become a laser. If she believes the stubbornness of a mule can withstand telepathic control from Brainaic, it will,

As Aquaman or Martian Manhunter pointed out in JLA #13, Vixen's powers are only limited by what she believes they are.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 08-26-2014 at 02:24 AM.

BANNED

If you were given the task of writing a Vixen series. How would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Grim View Post
    I would definitely use the JLU animated version of Vixen as a source. I loved her characterization in that show and would only add to that. I think she is a very complex character to me because I find her deeply spiritual but exceptionally cosmopolitan. Her heroism would transcend borders and species, as she would be a hero for the entire world, human or otherwise. She would be a pop-culture icon as a super-model and environmental/animal/human rights activist. I would give her a distinct look, mostly like her animated counter part with the short dark hair. However every now and then her hair might change styles ranging from but not limited to: braids, mohawk, fauxhawk, perm, "natural," dyed, etc.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Vixen's powers are based on magic which has it's own set of rules that defies the laws of the universe. Her powers are also based on her believe system. If she believes an armored beetle can withstand a punch from Superman, it will. If she believes she can twist the light from a hatchet fish into a laser, it will become a laser. If she believes the stubbornness of a mule can withstand telepathic control from Brainaic, it will,

As Aquaman or Martian Manhunter pointed out in JLA #13, Vixen's powers are only limited by what she believes they are.
    I really like Vixen and I wish there had been more comics featuring her before the new 52 but if that's true that is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard in repeated to a comic character. If she can do call that why not just make her a reality manipulator? The over complication for the same effect seems silly for another DC dexus machine.

I would much prefer her to keep her powerset simple as it was displayed in JLU and in her earlier appearances. Stories are much more entertaining when heroes have to use their limited abilities to find a unique way to win, as opposed to "oh now I recall that a jelly fish has the ability to drain life energy from it a prey let me drain you villains" the end.
    Last edited by Trident; 08-26-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Grim View Post
    I'd make her a globe-trodding hero. As nj06 suggests she could have enviromental activist tendencies. Could actually be good for both characters to have her go up against Ra's al Ghul whose eco-terrorist roots seem to have been forgotten. First arc would centere around building a supporting cast and establishing her powers. Either have her be magic-based and have the ability to connect to the soul of an animal and acquire their characteristics and attributes or telepathy based. Being able to do whatever she feels like believing any creature can do is too ripe for exploit to me.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I would definitely use the JLU animated version of Vixen as a source. I loved her characterization in that show and would only add to that. I think she is a very complex character to me because I find her deeply spiritual but exceptionally cosmopolitan. Her heroism would transcend borders and species, as she would be a hero for the entire world, human or otherwise. She would be a pop-culture icon as a super-model and environmental/animal/human rights activist. I would give her a distinct look, mostly like her animated counter part with the short dark hair. However every now and then her hair might change styles ranging from but not limited to: braids, mohawk, fauxhawk, perm, "natural," dyed, etc.
    Pretty much this.

This is pretty much a formula to present Vixen to the fans in a way that would easily make her at least as popular as Storm in a very short period.

Yeah. Play up her celebrity status. Have her be a social activist as well as a hero and a model. Have her champion causes that would see humanity try to live more in harmony with nature, rather than forcing our will upon it. Don't make her preachy or judgmental about it either. Just have her try to lead by example. The best way to get people to embrace change is to show them that the change is good and worthwhile. Not to beat them over the head with "You should do it THIS way!"

Playing up her spiritual side? Hell yeah! I'd love for her to take on at least a slight shamanistic element to what she does. Have her spend some time meditating in an area that she wants to help. Let her allow the spiritual world to guide her. Again, as long as she doesn't get preachy about it, these beliefs would just add a semi-mystical aura about her that would really enhance her appeal to people.

I think nj06 pretty much has it nailed here.

And I actually do think it's cool if Vixen's beliefs can help enhance her powers more. If her powers truly are totemic in nature, then drawing on the strength of, say, an elephant, isn't so much drawing on the actual physical capabilities of an elephant. The spirit of the elephant is simply a source of great strength. The stronger Vixen's spiritual connection to the elephant? The more of that great strength she can draw upon.

That makes Vixen's powers more unique, really. She doesn't just think "elephant" and gain a set level of power. She has to actually work at her spiritual connections. If she completely ignores those connections? They weaken, and she can't draw on them as fully as before. Suddenly, her "elephant strength" isn't any better than what an actual elephant can do.

And her powers wouldn't be unlimited. Spiritual strength is still tied to her physical strength. The spirit powers the body. If the body weakens, so does the spirit. So, yeah, Vixen can draw on the elephant and be strong enough to punch Superman really hard......for a while. She will eventually tire. As she tires, her spiritual strength diminishes. So a villain trying to defeat her can do so just by figuring out how to make her waste her spiritual strength. There can also be other ways to decrease her spiritual strength. Magic spells may be able to block her connection. Drugs can cloud her mind and prevent her from tapping her powers. Simple emotional turmoil can make it more difficult to draw upon her strength. If she still needs her amulet in order to draw upon her powers, then simply stealing it would also work.

This power makes her strong and versatile, but hardly unbeatable.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--