Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    Grayson is one of the best books DC is putting out. I just picked up the new Cat woman and thought it was really good. I also like the new direction of Batgirl. I think these books really stick out in my opinion. They are not run of the mill and more of the same.
    I'll buy Catwoman when she's back to wearing those long purple slit skirts.

BANNED

How good is Harley Quinn these days? And has Batwoman fallen off in quality since that mess last year?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doomuniverse View Post
    How good is Harley Quinn these days? And has Batwoman fallen off in quality since that mess last year?
    They're not wearing purple slit skirts, either. (LOL)

Gotham Academy.

And that's pretty much it, really.

Spectacular Member

I only buy Grayson as a monthly and keep my hand in with reviews for all the Bat books then i'll pick up the trades if they have been reviewed well, it's a bit hit and miss as the reviewers won't have the same opinions as me but i've found a lot of average series around the bat family lately so i'm not going to spend my money on them, someone has already commented about trying to run the series with more variety and it's the right way to go,

Although critically and sales wise a success i've found Batman easy to drop, Snyder is writing a good Batman but the supporting cast are weak unless he has created them and then they're written very well which feels really unbalanced, i also think his vision for Batman seems strange he created a story called Death of the Family to give Batman some distance from the supporting characters but then he adds a whole new batch of adolescents so has essentially created a larger family with all the characters we know pushed to the outer circle, his stories go on too long and he gives the big story with the just ok ending, i also found the editorial have used Snyders stories to dominate the rest of the books around it so you go back to the series you follow feeling you're reading a book that will always feel inferior in the minds of the wider team

Quote Originally Posted by Markov View Post
    I only buy Grayson as a monthly and keep my hand in with reviews for all the Bat books then i'll pick up the trades if they have been reviewed well, it's a bit hit and miss as the reviewers won't have the same opinions as me but i've found a lot of average series around the bat family lately so i'm not going to spend my money on them, someone has already commented about trying to run the series with more variety and it's the right way to go,

Although critically and sales wise a success i've found Batman easy to drop, Snyder is writing a good Batman but the supporting cast are weak unless he has created them and then they're written very well which feels really unbalanced, i also think his vision for Batman seems strange he created a story called Death of the Family to give Batman some distance from the supporting characters but then he adds a whole new batch of adolescents so has essentially created a larger family with all the characters we know pushed to the outer circle, his stories go on too long and he gives the big story with the just ok ending, i also found the editorial have used Snyders stories to dominate the rest of the books around it so you go back to the series you follow feeling you're reading a book that will always feel inferior in the minds of the wider team
    I think think death of the family would have made more sense continuity wise if it had been followed immediately by batman eternal as I think that story in the end is gonna show why the cast in Gotham is so important to batman. Also if you was reading just batman or also batman and batman and robin he is still secluding himself from the cast involved in dotf. It was morrisons batman inc and dotf that did not run well beside each other, you had all the cast working together in inc and torn apart in dotf which must come b4 inc because of Damian's involvement in dotf.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfreds Butler View Post
    I think think death of the family would have made more sense continuity wise if it had been followed immediately by batman eternal as I think that story in the end is gonna show why the cast in Gotham is so important to batman. Also if you was reading just batman or also batman and batman and robin he is still secluding himself from the cast involved in dotf. It was morrisons batman inc and dotf that did not run well beside each other, you had all the cast working together in inc and torn apart in dotf which must come b4 inc because of Damian's involvement in dotf.
    Yeah, this was a big problem in planning by the editors of two big writers. Morrison was going out of his way to make Batman more friendly to his allies and more group-oriented, while Snyder was going out of his way to make Batman similar to the isolationist of the '90s and '00s. In the end, I think Morrison told a better story, but because Snyder is on the main title, the satellite titles have a responsibility to recognize what he's doing. All in all, the supposed schism that has happened has felt really half-hearted and poorly thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by rpi View Post
    Yeah, this was a big problem in planning by the editors of two big writers. Morrison was going out of his way to make Batman more friendly to his allies and more group-oriented, while Snyder was going out of his way to make Batman similar to the isolationist of the '90s and '00s. In the end, I think Morrison told a better story, but because Snyder is on the main title, the satellite titles have a responsibility to recognize what he's doing. All in all, the supposed schism that has happened has felt really half-hearted and poorly thought out.
    I enjoyed both stories equally am not one who disliked the end of dotf like others seem too I felt it was a fitting end to Morrison's 'put toys back in the box' approach. It was the reset button being pushed I felt with Morrison killing Damian and jokers ploy it was the end of Morrison's run and the family dynamic that I enjoyed was killed, but they just didn't work well being told at the same time. Like you said I blame the editors planning. I'm hoping eternal will be the return of the bat family. Going back on topic i think the new editors approach is really interesting and has me excited for the bat line. For the first time if I could afford it I would give every title a try but am gonna have to trade wait for some.
    Last edited by Alfreds Butler; 10-27-2014 at 02:31 AM.

Spectacular Member

Agreed - 2 writers with 2 different agendas had us a in a bit of a mess when following Batman/Batman Inc.

Morrison run on Batman is the best i've read at any stage of reading comics, he made you think and made you appreciate even the weaker parts of the history of Batman, he also gave moments which was just the ultimate Batman the side there is no beating (BatGod) or the moments of emotion in how characters like Alfred spoke about him there was a line about whoever has Batman will under estimate him just for a second and then there will be no hiding place for evil, i found that just sticks with me whenever i think of great Batman moments and he wasn't even there for it! - great writer i could have read his run on Batman forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Markov View Post
    Agreed - 2 writers with 2 different agendas had us a in a bit of a mess when following Batman/Batman Inc.

Morrison run on Batman is the best i've read at any stage of reading comics, he made you think and made you appreciate even the weaker parts of the history of Batman, he also gave moments which was just the ultimate Batman the side there is no beating (BatGod) or the moments of emotion in how characters like Alfred spoke about him there was a line about whoever has Batman will under estimate him just for a second and then there will be no hiding place for evil, i found that just sticks with me whenever i think of great Batman moments and he wasn't even there for it! - great writer i could have read his run on Batman forever.
    We was lucky to have him as long as we did. That's why I'm savouring Snyder while we have him, because when a good writer leaves you usually get a lull like Tony Daniel filling in for the mean time.

Astonishing Member

- Gotham Academy
    - Batgirl
    - Grayson
    - Catwoman

I'm also reading Arkham Manor, but not sure how I felt about that one. We'll see if Gotham at Midnight is any good.

Batman,Arkham Manor, and maybe Gotham by Midnight.

Grayson has been going strong and is improving, I also like B & R

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

GRAYSON is my favorite DC title. I also read DETECTIVE COMICS, BATMAN AND ROBIN (for the Apokolips stuff), and I just started CATWOMAN which is pretty strong. I plan to get GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT. Got the first issue of ACADEMY and thought it was a cool book but not my thing at all.

I finally gave up on BATWOMAN, which I'm bummed about but it was getting so boring.

Wow for someone who's not a big Bat fan, I read a lot of Bat books. Who woulda think?
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-27-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Snyder's Batman
    Grayson
    Red Hood and the Outlaws

I wish I could say Harley Quinn.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/