Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Batman '66

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by riddler123 View Post
    New issue out.

Not sure how I feel about the apprent [SPOILER]Phasing out of False Face[/SPOILER]
    I thought Aunt Hilda really shined in that issue.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Issue #23.
    I thought the Secret Origin of Basil Karlo-False Face-Clayface was clever and ingeniously written.
    Also like how Batman capture his foe. Probably a homage to the way Batman was able to subdue Blockbluster in his early appearances
    in the late 60's.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Issue #23.
    I thought the Secret Origin of Basil Karlo-False Face-Clayface was clever and ingeniously written.
    Also like how Batman capture his foe. Probably a homage to the way Batman was able to subdue Blockbluster in his early appearances
    in the late 60's.
    I'm wondering if it is time for me to put this title down now. It was my absolute fave bat title ever but for me it's being spoilt by bringing in all these non '66 characters who stick out like a sore thumb. I was fine with Dr Quinn before they made her Harley. Now apparently Bane is set to appear.

I mean come on Batman '66... and Bane!

You couldn't have a pairing that were so unsuited to each other.

The obvious thing would be to wait and see what it's like and stop my moaning but I can see the publication is now going down a road that does not appeal to me as a reader, or fans of the series.

A shame.

No more DC2 motion comic? I like the 99 cent sticker price but the motion comic was pretty cool. Oh well, hopefully Parker continues to write the majority of the issues.

Astonishing Member

I thoroughly enjoyed this issue; Marsha, Queen of Diamonds, is back.

The art was really great! I enjoyed the story too. The scenes resulting from the diamond-covered brakes were the best.

Every comicbook-writer wants to script the next big Joker story. It takes real talent to write a fantastic Marsha story...and this story shows that ability.

Retired

Except for the special issue with Two-Face, I haven't been following this comic. Which issue had Zelda the Great? And was Eivol Ekdal featured, as well?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Except for the special issue with Two-Face, I haven't been following this comic. Which issue had Zelda the Great? And was Eivol Ekdal featured, as well?
    Yes, there was an ish with Zelda as villain, again, but why? Last seen on the show itself, she was seemingly, genuinely, on the path of rehabilitation. She was not a Joker or Penguin, or even King Tut, whom the show felt compelled to relapse and revillainize again and again, so why not let some actual (positive) character growth on her, and let her be? Or at least, if do use her, perhaps as a double agent or something?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Yes, there was an ish with Zelda as villain, again, but why? Last seen on the show itself, she was seemingly, genuinely, on the path of rehabilitation. She was not a Joker or Penguin, or even King Tut, whom the show felt compelled to relapse and revillainize again and again, so why not let some actual (positive) character growth on her, and let her be? Or at least, if do use her, perhaps as a double agent or something?
    I dunno. I could see them doing a prequel--since the TV story follows the plot of "Batman's Inescapable Doom-Trap" and Carnado had been pulling this theft every year. On the TV show it's every April First--and it's Zelda not Carnado.

For that to work out, Batman and Robin would have to never know who pulled off these robberies. So that could be a B plot in another story. The reason it's on my mind is I just watched the Zelda episodes when I was doing my blog on "The Dynamic Duo's Double-Deathtrap." Because of that story (my favourite), I've always liked Eivol Ekdal. And I can imagine a whole back story for him. A sequel isn't desirable, unless Eivol had a son.

Two things struck me about Zelda when I watched her episodes. One is that she's wearing the striped prison outfit that's cutely tailored for her feminine form. Which is what Catwoman wears in the Batman comic strip, as illoed by Sheldon Moldoff. Both also make me think of Gwen Stefani. The other is that the way it ends with Bruce coming to visit Zelda in prison is somewhat similar to the same deal with Poison Ivy in BATMAN 181 and 183.

I think that Poison Ivy was an effort by Bob Kanigher to create a villainess who was rather like the villainesses that had appeared on the TV show (Zelda, Marsha et al). For some unknown reason, editor Schwartz seemed loathe to use any of the costumed crooks that were created just for the TV show. Well, maybe there were rights issues. But Schwartz didn't even seem that interested in using Catwoman, Mr. Freeze (Zero), Mad Hatter or False-Face--despite them all being Batman villains prior to the TV show.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Per Comic Vine, she was in issue #29. It was a great issue and she was brilliant. This series has done really well with her and Marsha, queen of diamonds as well as Lady Pennelope Peasoup (Lord Ffogg's sister).

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Per Comic Vine, she was in issue #29. It was a great issue and she was brilliant. This series has done really well with her and Marsha, queen of diamonds as well as Lady Pennelope Peasoup (Lord Ffogg's sister).
    Thanks. I'll have to see if I can get a floppy--or wait until it's collected in trade.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Whoa the art by Bogdanove in #24 is off the wall fantastic.

Spectacular Member

how come there is such a long wait between trades?