Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Marvel still killing a major character every quarter?

Just curious if this is still true. Back in 2011, Joe Q said that Marvel would kill a major character every quarter (three months). Has Marvel stuck to it?

Off the top of my head, here's the deaths which I can think of since he said that:

2011:
    - Johnny Storm (came back)
    - Ultimate Spider-Man (still dead)
    - Thor (came back very quickly)

2012:
    - Professor X (still dead)

2013:
    - I don't know

2014:
    - Uatu (still dead)
    - Wolverine (still dead, but c'mon)

Any big ones I'm forgetting? Is it still happening quarterly?

BANNED

Is it really killing them when you know they will just be back in a year or two. Maybe not Uatu but I fully expect Professor X to be back by the end of Axis and anyone who actually thinks Wolverine will be dead long past the end of the all the legacy of Wolverine tie in events is crazy. And technically Professor X isn't dead and hasn't been dead for a while. His body is gone but his mind has been living in Red Skull's brain for a year or two now which is how I'm sure they'll bring him back - he'll either become dominant in the Skull's body or be shifted over to some clone of his former body.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Is it really killing them when you know they will just be back in a year or two. Maybe not Uatu but I fully expect Professor X to be back by the end of Axis and anyone who actually thinks Wolverine will be dead long past the end of the all the legacy of Wolverine tie in events is crazy. And technically Professor X isn't dead and hasn't been dead for a while. His body is gone but his mind has been living in Red Skull's brain for a year or two now which is how I'm sure they'll bring him back - he'll either become dominant in the Skull's body or be shifted over to some clone of his former body.
    I'm not sure Logan is coming back in a year or two, imo they were looking to shaft the X-Men franchise by getting rid of its most profitable cahracter as a means of screwing over Fox.

I mean of course he'll eventually be back, but probably not until the Disney-Fox movie wars are over.

Ultimate Peter is no longer dead

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Ultimate Peter is no longer dead
    Wow are you kidding me? Geez. Miles Morales was like the only good example of "kill off a classic hero and replace him with a kid who's also a minority!" actually working out well, and Marvel and done fudged it all.

Apparently ultimate Peter, Norman, and Miles cannot die because of the way they got their powers, but the storyline is only halfway done

BANNED

I would really like it if creepy old Prof X FINALLY stayed dead, for once.

Bring back Darkhawk! Sleepwalker!

Kill Aunt May once and for all. Since OMD she has become irrelevant

It wasn't Quesada who said it. It was David Gabriel, VP of Sales. And honestly, even with his "This is not a joke" comment, it kinda feels like it might've been a bit of a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    I'm not sure Logan is coming back in a year or two, imo they were looking to shaft the X-Men franchise by getting rid of its most profitable cahracter as a means of screwing over Fox.

I mean of course he'll eventually be back, but probably not until the Disney-Fox movie wars are over.
    I'm pretty sure Wolverine's death has nothing at all to do with Fox, or with "shafting" the X-Men franchise. I'm pretty sure it was just that someone had an idea, and someone else thought it was really cool, so they did it. I mean, Wolverine and the X-Men is going to be replaced with frigging Spider-Man and the X-Men - yeah, their other most popular and iconic character. They're going to have a weekly Wolverines ongoing.

This isn't about spite or anything like that. If anything, they're just removing him temporarily so that people will be excited for his big return in a few months or a year or whenever it happens.

Depends on who you consider a major character. As well as if it counts if they're resurrected later. So I guess you could say they have.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    2012:
    - Professor X (still dead)
    And Peter Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Depends on who you consider a major character. As well as if it counts if they're resurrected later. So I guess you could say they have.
    If it's a major character, they have 99% chances to get resurrected later anyway.

(I want Surge to stand between Nightcrawler and Colossus at Wolverine's funerals, glance at both of them and say "f... all of you")

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    And Peter Parker.
    Peter is alive and well in both 616 and Ultimate

I think Rick Remender in Uncanny Avengers is digging them up faster than they can be buried. Like the Sentry.