Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Limited Edition Hellboy Artist's Edition

Limited to a run of 125, with an original sketch by Mike
    $350
    http://www.idwpublishing.com/product...rqued-edition/

Bummer that I already bought the original one, I would have saved for this had I known...

Wow, the third edition already, in just a coupla months. Must be this book is hot. And big. And awesome.

Although after browsing the IDW website and their catalog it actually appears that most if not all Artist Editions have been receiving similarly outstanding treatment, mostly to similar schedules consistently, eversince 2010:

a) a regular edition;
    b) a limited variant cover or special convention edition;
    c) a limited signed & numbered or even remarqued* edition;
    d) regular edition aftereditions to demand over time.

*'Remarqued' being:
    - Sergio Aragonés' Groo The Wanderer Remarqued Cover Edition;
    - Joe Kubert's Tarzan - before passing away mr Kubert finished 'remarquing' 181 of the intended 250 books;
    - John Romita's Amazing Spider-Man, signed by Romita, Stan Lee, plus a Romita headsketch;
    - Walter Simonson's Mighty Thor Remarqued Cover Edition of 10;
    - Mike Mignola's Hellboy AOS.

One very exquisite productline I'd say.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 10-26-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: some tilting.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

I really wish I'd known about this before I'd bought the regular version.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    ditto.....

Quote Originally Posted by mscorley View Post
    ditto.....
    It has been advertised by IDW the very moment that the regular edition was announced.

And since all the Artist Editions, such as the Simonson Thor remarqued cover edition (2011), the Kubert Tarzan remarqued edition (2012) as well as the Aragonés Groo remarqued cover edition (2012), ALL THOSE followed their regular both as variant editions by at least a month,
    there's indeed no reason why you couldn't have been aware that the Hellboy book would likely get the similar treatment, I would think.

It's also highly plausible that the special 'convention editions' as well as 'remarqued editions' need to get affirmed for being possible at all by and for third parties such as convention organisers or either the artists themselves (who need to be doing the remarque-ing to edition size!).
    Which might be a reason as to why each of the Artist Editions firstly become available as a regular edition with any other ones being sollicited to only later.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 10-26-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    And since all the Artist Editions, such as the Simonson Thor remarqued edition (2011), the Kubert Tarzan remarqued edition (2012) as well as the Aragonés Groo remarqued edition (2012), ALL THOSE followed their regular both as variant editions by at least a month,
    there's indeed no reason why you wouldn't have been aware that the Hellboy book would likely get the similar treatment, I would think.
    I had no idea remarqued editions of any artist's editions existed. I was literally introduced to the concept yesterday.

And while it would have been cool to get a remarqued edition, I'm not going to lose any sleep over missing it. I'm very happy with the artist's edition I have. It's a damn fine book.
    Last edited by middenway; 10-26-2014 at 04:43 AM.

I had no idea remarqued editions of any artist's editions existed. I was literally introduced to the concept yesterday.

And while it would have been cool to get a remarqued edition, I'm not going to lose any sleep over missing it. I'm very happy with the artist's edition I have. It's a damn fine book.
    They exist, since 2011.
    And I hear you: the regular edition is the first print, with the better cover, I'd say. Although a real sketch would be awesome too, both as worth the extra $200, but the $200 less did help for acquiring just the regular edition for me, which is swell and buff to the teeth so.

Same. But I own a small ink original by Mignola, so I'm not worried about getting this version.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Same. But I own a small ink original by Mignola, so I'm not worried about getting this version.
    Picture...?

I have the original solicitation that IDW ran in Previews. At that time, there was no mention of any sort of special edition. Although IDW has done special, and subsequent editions, of their releases in the past, they don't do them for everything, so it would be understandable that people might think there is just the one release. Then the variant cover for SDCC (limited run of 100) was released, and now this remarqued edition recycles the cover image from the SDCC run - albeit with the border used from the first printing - along with the remarqued panel inside.

You may have noticed I used the phrase "variant cover". That is quite on purpose. As much of a Hellboy fan and collector as I am proud to call myself, my pockets are not limitless and so I have to pick and choose what to buy. I am not fond of the trend in the comics industry to repackage special editions with different covers, be they monthlies or special hardcovers or anything else. With these sorts of items, I always wonder how many wind up in the hands of fans and how many go to resellers looking to reap potential windfalls from investment due to artificially induced rarity.

I don't have any of the previous version so I ordered one!

Quote Originally Posted by grogtheslayer View Post
    I have the original solicitation that IDW ran in Previews. At that time, there was no mention of any sort of special edition.
    Yeah I may have just been a fool, but I don't recall reading of any special edition like this when it was first announced. The only special one I knew of was the SDCC variant which I didn't mind missing.

Perhaps I should have done my research and seen that IDW does special editions with illustrations and what in future printings, thats my bad I suppose.

Like Mark said, the HC is fantastic and its not the end of the world to miss out on this. But I certainly would have waited had it been much more apparent that this was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by mscorley View Post
    Yeah I may have just been a fool, but I don't recall reading of any special edition like this when it was first announced. The only special one I knew of was the SDCC variant which I didn't mind missing.

Perhaps I should have done my research and seen that IDW does special editions with illustrations and what in future printings, thats my bad I suppose.

Like Mark said, the HC is fantastic and its not the end of the world to miss out on this. But I certainly would have waited had it been much more apparent that this was coming.
    I find that perfectly understandable dude, for what that's worth. Just saying in order to let you know, since I responded.

Still I honestly do think IDW didn't do or mean anything harmful, as it would be just ordinary business to firstly put out a regular version and only when that's established and achieved, they'd be into doing an SDCC version, or a shop version complete with artifact and shot glass, or a remarqued version as affordible as this one, although any of those versions co-depend on such *third parties* as eventers or the artist as proving both willing as well as able onto making such happen.

That would seem a reality to me regardless of how anyone would feel.

I suppose any of the regular editions would be resellable at cost, since they have sold out. And this remarqued version will probably haunt the eBays against ridiculous prices for years to come.
    But yeah, I'll be sticking to my regular one which I like to tits.

I got my book today! #121 of 125.

Because of the cost I am a little afraid to read it.