BANNED

Default What is the most underused region of the world in comics?

Talking about regions that have the size of multiple countries. I would say Central Asia minus Afghanistan.

Incredible Member

I would agree with central asia. If you exclude england, pretty well the rest of europe. How much has been set in south america of late?

Antarctica and the moon have definitely been used as popular backdrops (something about freezing wastelands is apparently appealing in superhero stories). I think part of the appeal was the rarity of people in those places in real life, it punctuates the sense of the fantastic. The majority of american superhero comics are set in america likely as to not alienate their immediate audience with a culture they may not understand and so they can self identify with whichever protagonist. Black Panther frequently lives in NewYork and pals around with other americans. DCs cities are any town (more accurately, any major U.S. city) USA. There's this prevalence of national identity. Books are more likely to be set on fictional planets among fictional races, which, sense of the fantastic. But at the same time writers to an extent write what they know and may feel limited writing a story set in Norway or Brazil longterm. I recall a similar situation, of not knowing the characteristics of London from firsthand experience, being why Azzarello set his Hellblazer run in America.

Thats my longwinded answer that may've strayed slightly outside the original question while still remaining topical.

Haven't ever really seen Africa or South America get much attention. Nor the Pacific Islands, which I would expand to include the Philippines, Indonesia, Bali, etc. Not much going on north of Australia it would seem.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

India, its the second largest nation in the world population wise yet I bet you most people could only think of maybe one or two characters from there tops.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    Haven't ever really seen Africa or South America get much attention. Nor the Pacific Islands, which I would expand to include the Philippines, Indonesia, Bali, etc. Not much going on north of Australia it would seem.
    Check out Dysart's Unknown Soldier.