Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Can the Age of Ultron movie work without the mentioning/use of Hank Pym and vice versa for Ant-man?

I had this in the old forums as a topic as well. Since we see a trailer for the up comic movie, does anyone think it will be weird for the Avengers: Age of Ultron to have little to no mentioning of Hank Pym in the film ?

And can the same hing be said for Ant-man, especially since it's set in the same world as the Avengers ?

Also could this change into the comics as well into making Tony Stark responsible for Ultron and not Hank Pym ?

As fans of these characters and the Avengers: What do you think of the change ?

I think as far as the MCU is concerned, the Iron Man connection works, especially since movie Tony seems to work a lot with robotics and A.I already. Plus it looks like Ultron, like Iron Man, has multiple design changes and specializations (Ala Tony's 'army' of armors at the climax of IM3). Hiring Spader as the voice also works since he has some similarities to Downey Jr. (Another member of the "Brat pack").

However as far as changing it in the comics, it seems to me that there's too much continuity with Hank Pym. It'd be a major retcon, but then again they did have Tony sort of figure into the Hulk's origin in "Original Sin". Perhaps if they did a 'reboot'.

As for Hank in the movies, it looks like they're going to go with the Scott Lang route and the Hank Pym stuff will not be as important (Especially since they've cast Michael Douglas!).

Doesn't bother me at all and I think it will work fine. The MCU is not the comics.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

I think he'll be mentioned or alluded to. I think they're just trying to keep a lid on Hank's involvement. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that he came up with the dormant "peacekeeping program" that Stark jump-starts.

BANNED

It also helps to make Pym and Stark less like the comic-book "omnidisciplinary" scientists. Stark has a robotics background, Pym's stuff outside of Ultron is more pike biochemistry.

Stark and Pym are redundant characters in the comics. One of them should have been killed off long ago. The movies get around this by reimagining Pym as a wise old mentor type. I think this is a good thing.

BANNED

What I love about the movies is that Tony Stark is actually likable, whereas in the comics he is not. I think I'll feel the same way with Hank Pym, like MichaelC said they're setting him up to me a wise old mentor type character, which is always fun, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    What I love about the movies is that Tony Stark is actually likable, whereas in the comics he is not. I think I'll feel the same way with Hank Pym, like MichaelC said they're setting him up to me a wise old mentor type character, which is always fun, at least for me.
    Even Ultimate, MC2, or that universe where it's all old English sort of?

Or, 2099, Noir?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It just honestly makes more sense that Stark would be the one to have created Ultron over Pym anyway.

I was pissed at first about the whole "Ultron built by Stark" thing, mostly because I first hoped that Ultron would equal Pym's presence in the movie, but I can see that it works for the MCU. I wouldn't say it works better that way, it's just a different take on the classic story that will work as well. The original story would have worked too just fine IMO.

My personal theory here (and others have mentioned this as well) is that in the 60s, Pym had first come up with this "peace-keeping program" and realized it couldn't work, for some reason, whether it be too advanced for the time, or he just figured it could turn ugly and was too dangerous or unpredictable to put forward. Maybe he even had an argument with Howard Stark about it, and Stark kept the program for himself. And later on, Tony found it in his father's files or something. I almost wish for a 60s post-credit scene showing just that

As for the comics, it would take one hell of a retcon to put Stark as the creator of Ultron instead of Pym. So I don't see how it could be done without a reboot of the whole Marvel U. Considering Pym has suffered from having given life to Ultron for ages, retconning it to Stark would be... wow, I don't even want to think about it. Can you imagine living your entire life making amends and getting crap for something that in the end you didn't do? I'm not sure that would end well.

It is good to change stuff like this for the movies. There's no need to introduce Pym for audiences who wouldn't have any interest in him. This movie is not about Ant Man. The Ant Man movie is.

It would not matter if the Ant Man movie had happened first, but cramming Pym in here is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    It is good to change stuff like this for the movies. There's no need to introduce Pym for audiences who wouldn't have any interest in him. This movie is not about Ant Man. The Ant Man movie is.

It would not matter if the Ant Man movie had happened first, but cramming Pym in here is not needed.
    I'd still love a flashback, or credit scene, with a younger Pym, or a Douglas cameo as an older Pym. Maybe have a cameo with Scott and Hank in a lab working on something, and then Ultron on TV, or something like that.
    Last edited by Crimson Knight; 10-25-2014 at 10:39 AM.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Once again, the MCU does not have to exactly match the comics. This is nothing new.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    I'd still love a flashback, or credit scene, with a younger Pym, or a Douglas cameo as an older Pym. Maybe have a cameo with Scott and Hank in a lad working on something, and then Ultron on TV, or something like that.
    Scott and Hank both in a lad, working on something. Now I can't get this image out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    Scott and Hank both in a lad, working on something. Now I can't get this image out of my head.
    I will edit.

My comment still stands.