Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Worst X-men accent

In most non-X-men forums Gambit would win this instantly, however there have been so many bad X-men accents, due to the X-men's approach of giving us heroes who may not have come from the mainland UK/USA what is the one that has made you laugh out loud?

Gambit: May as well lead with the ridiculousness that is most famous for bringing the X-books down. Gambit has a New Orleans/French accent that makes no sense and inspired Fantomex which alone deserves him a place on any worst ever list. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYscJKMpN2E

Wolfsbane: Lots of Ah'm and dropping the last consonant of words. No Scottish person I've ever know talks this way and half my family is Scottish and lived up there many years. Pretty damn shameful.

Rouge: As much as she is a fan favourite she sounds moronic and could never be taken seriously saying things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujPF9k1llZA

Cannonball: Supposed to be the leader of the next generation of X-men, yet sounds like a hick who's never seen the big city whenever he appears, time to put this redneck down.
    Last edited by Senyaka; 05-09-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Ive never been a big fan of accents in the x-books. More often than not I find it distracting. Gambit in particular is a character I have always liked, but never cared to do more focused reading on directly because of this.

The occasional subtle thing to remind you of what a voice should be is one thing, but I dont want to have to re-read chat bubbles to understand what is being said.

Gambit's accent is light in the books. While written heavy sometimes in the past, for the most part. His accent isn't all that bad. Those who are influenced XTAS - now that accent is bad to the point of ridiculous.

His accent was only really bad in comic books with Ultimate Xmen. Thank goodness there were very few issues of that with him in it.

ANXF - tame, easy to read.
    Asmus solo - again, easy to read.

Gambit has lived in NY long enough to not have much of an accent.

As for other characters. I found Black Tom's accent hard to read.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I find it varies a lot. For example in the current x-factor its not an issue at all, but its a problem ive had in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by cwatz View Post
    I find it varies a lot. For example in the current x-factor its not an issue at all, but its a problem ive had in the past.
    Oh I know what you mean. Completely get it. Trust me, as a fan of his - I'm aware when the accent is thick. I can't think of the issue numbers but the Ultimate Xmen book was just awful. He read like he had marbles in his mouth (Austin). There are other issues like that too. But is gotten so much better over the last couple of years.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    See, that sort of thing never caused an issue as it was more of a realistic dialect than an accent, as in Trainspotting or A Clockwork Orange.
    Last edited by Senyaka; 05-10-2014 at 02:12 AM.

I like reading the accents, it shows a variety of people that are the X-Men.

But if choosing one that is difficult to read I would agree about Wolfsbane.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Fantomex or Wolfsbane
    I like Gambit's, even though I'm not big on Gambit.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Depends on the writer a lot; but I'm from Ireland, and Banshee frequently sounded like no one I've ever heard. It's spectacularly annoying.

I've never ever heard a real Irish person say Begorrah.
    image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Depends on the writer a lot; but I'm from Ireland, and Banshee frequently sounded like no one I've ever heard. It's spectacularly annoying.

I've never ever heard a real Irish person say Begorrah.
    image.jpg
    Having lived there 8 years, I agree. :P It was pretty awful.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Call me fickle, but I do find this pretty funny. Siryn sounds oddly like her old man whilst using her persuasive voice, and Maddrox pulls her up on it. Peter David is great at subtle use of dialect IMO.

image.jpg

The accent is one of the big reasons I've never really liked Gambit. It's annoying to read and hear. I've never really cared for the idea of accents anyway, it shouldn't be impossible to have the characters loose their accents after all the time foreign members have spent in US and characters like Cannonball, Rogue and Gambit having been in NY with X-Men.

Accents may be funny to listen to in and laugh at if they're bad but in comics they're just a pain to read sometimes. As a non-native english speaker I haven't felt that talking without an accent would be difficult, it kind of disappears naturally the more you hear and speak english with native english speakers. And especially with X-Men Xavier used his powers to teach Colossus (and Nightcrawler?) english so it's a good excuse to have them speak without an accent. So while I love that X-Men feature members from various parts of the world I can live with them not having any accents.

By the way has anyone else intentionally read comics aloud and when ever Moira, Banshee or Rahne were speaking then read it aloud with the most horrible imitation of Irish and Scottish accents? It's really funny sometimes.
    Last edited by Tomppa; 05-10-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Fantomex. Because it's fake and he doesn't know what he's saying half the time.