I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Default Secret Origins #6 - Sinestro

Okay, so I picked this up for Wonder Woman by Azzarello and wasn't disappointed, but I read the whole thing and Sinestro's origin... REALLY?

It's just a variation on Hal's now? That is just so unbelievably hacky!

Nice to see Hal's time as Parallax is in tact, but damn! I may have little faith in Bunn as I find him a one-note writer (having read/tried ALL of his anti-hero books for DC/Marvel), but I never thought of him as a complete hack until now.

No wonder I can't stand his Sinestro book.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I thought it was funny he made a play on Hal's Origin, and its the opposite for me I love his Sinestro, least it, Red Lantern and New Guardians doesn't have to follow Vendetti's crappy plot elements.

Mighty Member

I don't think Bunn invented this origin, it's the same one from GL 23.4 Sinestro which Matt Kindt wrote.

So Sinestro loved the Korugar version of Legos as a kid?

In my review, I mention my displeasure showing Sinestro being rather despicable so early. The appeal of it often being able to understand and maybe pity some of his poor choices, because he wasn't necessarily inherently evil. It was through circumstance that he became who is. But just allowing his ring bearer suffer and die while he dwells on the power he has and the changes he can make, and seems to go right to work setting up his dictatorship... What a total step back in adding layers to the character.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    at least it, Red Lantern and New Guardians doesn't have to follow Vendetti's crappy plot elements.
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    I don't think Bunn invented this origin, it's the same one from GL 23.4 Sinestro which Matt Kindt wrote.
    F**k! I've fallen afoul of Villain's month before with Black Adam (not knowing how he returned), and was kindly informed by some CBR members. You may well be right, I tend to skip "theme September", so may have missed the Sinestro one. I got most of the big-name villains, but skipped a lot because they were one-offs.

I may owe Bunn an apology, so if this was in place, I profusely apologise and accept that I was wrong on this.

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    In my review, I mention my displeasure showing Sinestro being rather despicable so early. The appeal of it often being able to understand and maybe pity some of his poor choices, because he wasn't necessarily inherently evil. It was through circumstance that he became who is. But just allowing his ring bearer suffer and die while he dwells on the power he has and the changes he can make, and seems to go right to work setting up his dictatorship... What a total step back in adding layers to the character.
    Totally agree. Sinestro should be the surprise reveal. The guy who went too far in being the greatest GL (post-CoIE) but honestly doesn't see it. Who has the perfect sector, but only BECAUSE he went too far.

I always felt Emerald Dawn II went too far with his having a problem with the errant piece of paper. The changed origin was genius, but it should be subtle and almost give Sinstro a shade of grey in interpretation leading to his removal/rebellion being all the more brutal for it. Allowing us to take his side, but being unable to follow his descent into darkness.

I'm not the biggest fan of him as an anti-hero, but Johns' building of the character Pre-New 52 was gold.
    Last edited by exile001; 10-26-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Do you guys think this will be included in the trade for Sinestro Vol 1? I am currently still catching up on John's and Co pre-52 stuff, can't wait to delve into the new 52 stuff!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

BANNED

I find that I have no problem with Sinestro being an ass fairly early, but I guess I don't understand where his affection for Hal (and vice versa) comes from. We've been told they were buddies, but I don't recall being really shown it.

Didn't Green Lantern Secret Origin cover Hal and Sinestros first meeting? Though I do agree that even there we don't see where this affection the two have for one another comes from since even there Thaal is quite dismissive of Jordan with him minding of giving respect but grudgingly. After beating Atrocitus, I think Hal early Sinestros attention by managing to affect something yellow and challenging the Guardians policy of only one Lantern per sector did Thaal kind of acknowledge him more. We see the tip of the friendship but never the whole thing I think... except that Sinestro trusted Hal enough to show Korugar under his harsh rule.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    Didn't Green Lantern Secret Origin cover Hal and Sinestros first meeting? Though I do agree that even there we don't see where this affection the two have for one another comes from since even there Thaal is quite dismissive of Jordan with him minding of giving respect but grudgingly. After beating Atrocitus, I think Hal early Sinestros attention by managing to affect something yellow and challenging the Guardians policy of only one Lantern per sector did Thaal kind of acknowledge him more. We see the tip of the friendship but never the whole thing I think... except that Sinestro trusted Hal enough to show Korugar under his harsh rule.
    It's kinda like a romance where you don't know what they see in each other...