forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Default weekly collection reviews part 17 Weapon X

Previous reviews:
    part 1-15
    part 16: Change

Hey guys,
    Welcome to the 17th edition of WCR.
    Today's review will be in honor of a recently deceased mutant, little ol' Wolverine. It will about Weapon X by Barry Windsor-Smith

I have stated before that I think that off all the Logan origin stories Marvel pumped out, this is the definite one (and the best one at that). Weapon X is about the expirement that turned the mutant Logan into the weapon Wolverine. Written in the 90s, it is very gory and brutal, so beware if you don't like that (though I assume most do; )).

The story starts with Logan being abducted, shaved and sedated. It's in the lab he is brought to that we meet the other main characters: Professor Thorton, Dr Cornelius and Ms Hines. Most of the story consists of Dr Cornelius and his crew conducting experiments on poor ol' Logan and making him into a weapon. If you think that's boring you are very wrong. Thorton is perhaps one of the most sadistic "villains" in Marvel comics, breaking Logan's spirit in such a manner that only the beast remains. You start to feel sorry for Logan, which is something not many writers have accomplished (at least with me).

I don't really want to tell much more about it, since that might spoil the comic, but I can't help but spoil a bit.

One of the most intense moments of the comic is when the doctors link Logan up with a machine that translates Thorton's commands into mental commands (or more like suggestions) into Logan's brain. It is after some time that Wolverine instincts take over and Wolverine's thoughts are transmitted to the screen instead of Thorton's.

Very disturbing indeed...

For those just wanting to see Wolverine slash up some people there is enough of that too

If you like Wolverine you probably already this, but if you don't like Wolverine this might convince you he can be pretty awesome. Definitely recommended from me
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Love this comic so much. It's simply a masterpiece and the definitive Wolverine story.