Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default MCU vs DCU... How long can Marvel drag on?

if there is a thread like this already...please direct me to it..
    so who thinks DC will take away the spotlight when their first movie drops?
    how long can marvel drag on the meagre avengers line up?
    will civil war succeed? even with antman there won't be enough characters to justify that title
    will marvel finally acknowledge that they don't have many characters and give a date to end their movies?
    and please god will we they ever stop with the constant advertising and hyping every week!!
    its so annoying! the age of ultron trailer was so much hyped..but why??? we have known about it for more than a year, we will.watch the movie even if they don't do any advertising....
    and please cancel the agents of shield show! its sad it feels like a patient on life support..
    the CBS show Person of Interest is more exciting than this...it has espionage,action,,sci fi and every big villain is a bad ass..unlike shield ..I waited all season 1 but no shield uniforms..no crazy villains even hydra is lame..the winter soldier movie was more exciting.. decent dialogues and nice visuals showing the scale of shield and hydra...while the TV show feels like a mediocre CIA show..I don't care about coulson and his team I want the world that shield is trying to protect, the terrorists organisations with crazy but cool names not lame like centipede or cockroach or slug!! if Disney wants to save money cancel this and pay iron man. not the other way round..u are supposed to be bigger than WB u got only avengers characters to worry about and u are so stingy.. while is DC is ready to take the plunge with female and African american super heroes you are more busy with hyping your limited number of characters

Honestly, I want to see how far both studios can go. How fan can Marvel and DC take their films before the bubble bursts? Hell, I want to see how the hell Sony can make a Spider-Verse, even though it's on shaky grounds. I want a female led film, I want a minority lead film. I want to see obscure teams hit the big screen. I would DIE for a Thunderbolts film.

So I say don't hate on Marvel and just see where Marvel Studios and DC studios head with these things.

(And BTW, Guardians of the Galaxy beat Man of Steel's total gross. I wouldn't say DC has an upper hand)

Marvel had 2 of the 3 highest grossing movies in the United States this year, and just off of hype alone you can bet the next Avengers will threaten box office records, if it's an actually good movie then who knows how much money it can make.

It all comes down to quality. If Marvel keeps making good movies it will continue to succeed. The closest approximation I can think of is Pixar, now Marvel isn't that good, but it's starting to earn a reputation as a studio that it will provide good entertainment. Until they produce some real stinkers, despite internet outrage IM3 wasn't one, they're fine.

Really the question for DC is when are they going to produce a good movie that isn't Batman? If Batman vs. Superman isn't damn good there experiment dies before it gets off the ground. But even if it does why can't they both be successful? If Marvel and DC are producing great movies isn't that a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Marvel had 2 of the 3 highest grossing movies in the United States this year, and just off of hype alone you can bet the next Avengers will threaten box office records, if it's an actually good movie then who knows how much money it can make.

It all comes down to quality. If Marvel keeps making good movies it will continue to succeed. The closest approximation I can think of is Pixar, now Marvel isn't that good, but it's starting to earn a reputation as a studio that it will provide good entertainment. Until they produce some real stinkers, despite internet outrage IM3 wasn't one, they're fine.

Really the question for DC is when are they going to produce a good movie that isn't Batman? If Batman vs. Superman isn't damn good there experiment dies before it gets off the ground. But even if it does why can't they both be successful? If Marvel and DC are producing great movies isn't that a good thing?
    Well, Pixar dropped in quality. Cars 2 wasn't well received, and Brave was forgettable. Disney's animation stepped it up with Wreck-It-Ralph and Frozen.

But that's besides the point, I think Marvel Studios is a juggernaut now. I have no doubt that Avengers 2 will break a billion. In fact, the trailer broke records of 34 million views the day it hit the web.

Marvel Studios can 'drag on', as you say, for as long as they can find worthy stories to poach, adapt and reinvent from their comics - and in case you didn't know, they have rather a lot of comics they haven't even begun to touch yet.

Sure, there's some fairly major characters they can't use due to licensing blah, but that just means they've got an added incentive not to rest on their laurels and coast. They wouldn't have made such an effort to make Captain America's second film so damn momentous if they could have put out, say, a Spider-Man Vs. Venom movie and made twice as much money for half as much work. And lord knows Guardians of the Galaxy would not have happened, point blank, if Marvel Studios had the X-Men rights - and of course, Guardians is a big goddamn deal now. Their track record isn't perfect (hey, Iron Man 2!) and I don't always agree with every decision they make, but they've been at this game for 6 years now, and their batting average is strong enough that they've earned my trust.

On the DC side of the fence, yes, they have all their rights in one place, and yes, judging by that recent slate they announced, they've got big plans - and props on them for at least entertaining the notions of Wonder Woman and Cyborg solo efforts. But I can't get excited about those announcements just yet because Warner Bros haven't earned my trust the same way. Whatever your feelings on the Nolan Batflicks were, they're in the past and matter not a jot to the fledgling DCU going forwards. Instead, Man of Steel was apparently 'ground zero' for this new franchise, and other than ensuring I'll be crushing on Antje Traue 'til the day I die, that film did not fill me with confidence and enthusiasm for revisiting its universe. And the fact that the same creative minds are behind Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice* has me worried, especially after reading their responses to certain criticisms of MoS in interviews.

On a side note, while it is perhaps inevitable that the typical CBR forum audience will go see a film like Age of Ultron without needing to be reminded, the same cannot be guaranteed for the moviegoing public at large, who - if nothing else - prefer to be reminded when a film is coming out before it arrives...

* - the actual title of the film, honestly**

** - I know, I stole the joke from Badass Digest, but it's too funny to pass up
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

I like most of the MCU movies, loved Man of Steel. Very excited for both franchises

I will say, all eyes are on Ant-Man. If that can succeed, ANY PROPERTY CAN!

I have my thoughts on the DCU, and they are mixed.

1) DC is getting to the female solo and 2 minority lead films off the bat. That's FANTASTIC! I am SO GLAD they did this, because now Marvel has to force itself to give us a Black Widow/Carol Danvers/Black Panther/etc film. There is no excuse for Marvel waiting this long to do this!

2) DC I think is getting too eager. Why are they announcing casting for films 6 years away? What if something happens? Actor gets injured? Actor gets arrested for a crime? That's just planning too far ahead.

3) Wonder Woman and Justice League the same year? Gal Godot will be EXHAUSTED. There is a reason why they don't plan an Avengers film the same year as another solo Avenger film. Actors need breaks, and constantly using actors for action roles can lead to problems. Anyone remember Jaime Alexander hurting her back on the set of Thor 2?

4) DC really isn't giving themselves much wiggle room if one of their films fail. They seem really eager.

5) Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice is a terrible name. It sounds like an expansion pack.

I'm cautiously optimistic for the DCU, but they really need to approach things carefully. I didn't see Man of Steel, but I do know of the mixed reaction. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes.

I think it's a great time to be a comics fan for the cinema. No reason to be competitive with the D.C. verses Marvel thing. The only problem Marvel might face is the original actors leaving, starting with RDJr and then Chris Evans

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boredmonkey View Post
    if there is a thread like this already...please direct me to it..
    so who thinks DC will take away the spotlight when their first movie drops?
    how long can marvel drag on the meagre avengers line up?
    will civil war succeed? even with antman there won't be enough characters to justify that title
    will marvel finally acknowledge that they don't have many characters and give a date to end their movies?
    and please god will we they ever stop with the constant advertising and hyping every week!!
    its so annoying! the age of ultron trailer was so much hyped..but why??? we have known about it for more than a year, we will.watch the movie even if they don't do any advertising....
    and please cancel the agents of shield show! its sad it feels like a patient on life support..
    the CBS show Person of Interest is more exciting than this...it has espionage,action,,sci fi and every big villain is a bad ass..unlike shield ..I waited all season 1 but no shield uniforms..no crazy villains even hydra is lame..the winter soldier movie was more exciting.. decent dialogues and nice visuals showing the scale of shield and hydra...while the TV show feels like a mediocre CIA show..I don't care about coulson and his team I want the world that shield is trying to protect, the terrorists organisations with crazy but cool names not lame like centipede or cockroach or slug!! if Disney wants to save money cancel this and pay iron man. not the other way round..u are supposed to be bigger than WB u got only avengers characters to worry about and u are so stingy.. while is DC is ready to take the plunge with female and African american super heroes you are more busy with hyping your limited number of characters
    Weird , I would expect any comic fans to be excited for both marvel & Dc movies to be successful so that this era of comic book movies can continue.

I'm worried that DC is getting too eager to copy marvel and will end up with ****.

You want to know what will bust the superhero bubble? **** movies. Really I hope all of these are good, marvel fan aside good movies are good movies, but it all seems kind of rushed to me. Hopefully I'm wrong and Batman vs. Superman (I'll agree on the terrible name, seriously world's finest is right there) will be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    I think it's a great time to be a comics fan for the cinema. No reason to be competitive with the D.C. verses Marvel thing. The only problem Marvel might face is the original actors leaving, starting with RDJr and then Chris Evans
    The biggest fear is the bubble bursting.

Look at this.

Are we sure that these studios can keep this up without the bubble bursting? That's a lot of movies coming down the pipe, and more to come. What's stopping people from becoming sick of these films?

Well movies like ww might grab the hunger games audience with a female lead

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Well movies like ww might grab the hunger games audience with a female lead
    Oh, I've been dying for a female lead film forever. Marvel absolutely blew their chance by waiting this long to get their female led film out there.

I know after SJH performance in Cap 2 I cannot believe they aren't doing a Black Widow movie instead of some of the others. She stole the show for me

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by fmvgamer View Post
    Weird , I would expect any comic fans to be excited for both marvel & Dc movies to be successful so that this era of comic book movies can continue.
    do u have to praise marvel whenever u talk about it? and I never praised DC.as.the best...they are doing good with their TV shows.. while marvel? the criticism about hype is validated because look how shield is performing..it doesn't feel like shield fans are familiar with..I mean.argus from.arrow feels.more badass than.this..even before winter soldier...and yes I'm doubting marvel..while WB has access to all of DC marvel studios does not..that's why how long can they do only avengers and what characters can they use..