Thread: Prophet comic

BANNED

Default Prophet comic

So what do i read if i just want some good space opera? What's the difference between the old and new Prophet comics?

You gotta start with the new stuff. Old Prophet really doesn't seem worth it; from the issues I've flipped through it's literally a beardy angry dude drawn in that typical 90ies EXTREEEEME style who uses a knife a lot. Since Brandon Graham took over he set the story millenia into the future where humanity is virtually extinct and it's a wild ride throughout the galaxies from there.
    First trade collection is called Remission, you'll wanna start from there. Second and third trades are called Brothers and Empire respectively. Not sure if it's already collected beyond that point?
    Anyway later on they start adding references to other old Liefeld characters, but really you don't need to have read any of it. Just set your brains to "let's go explore weird stuff"-mode and you'll be totally fine. Prophet is all about big ideas and crazy visuals, and frankly the story gets pretty weird/confusing sometimes. Personally I don't mind at all; I'm just here for the ride. Hope you'll like it, it's one of the more interesting comics in todays market, I find.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    So what do i read if i just want some good space opera? What's the difference between the old and new Prophet comics?
    Total Snorefest summed up Prophet really well so I would second everything that was said. My one addition would be that if you like smart comics, it's one of the smartest I have ever read. I have rarely seen so much creativity and intelligence from a comic (puts Grant Morrison to shame), and the art, from about three different artists, is uniformly fantastic.

Yeah the Graham stuff is excellent. Maybe my favourite comic right now.
    Cant wait to meet Brandon Graham at a con next month and lick his face whilst purring.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Yeah the Graham stuff is excellent. Maybe my favourite comic right now.
    Cant wait to meet Brandon Graham at a con next month and lick his face whilst purring.
    Brandon Graham is a great dude. I met him this summer at a small indie arts festival here and he was terrific. A bunch of his fans showed up and he took the time to talk to all of us and signed and did little sketches for for everything we bought. I got trades of Multiple Warheads, Prophet vol 1, and King City from him. He signed and sketched on all of them without me asking. He even asked me if I had any requests. I didn't know who he was at the time, only bought his stuff because someone from here suggested I pick up anything from Brandon Graham. I just love these trades and the sketches he did for me! They are some of my most prized possessions, I just love his work.

I'm going to wait for the deluxe hardcovers of Prophet to come out. It's such a beautiful book that I want it in deluxe format. Not only that but Brandon is a local where I live so I will see him at cons and indie festivals all the time. Going to get the hardcovers signed and sketched by him and this time I'll know exactly what I want him to sketch for me. BTW, this was at a small indie fest so it wasn't as crowded as comic con and the promoters made sure to keep the dealer tables really cheap so that the creators didn't have to sell a lot to cover costs. This made for a VERY enjoyable experience for both the creators and patrons like me. Brandon spent a lot of time talking to all of us and did some general chit chat. I don't know how it would be at larger cons. I was at FANEXPO this year where it was insanely crowded and the experience just wasn't the same, I hated it. Nothing but long lineups so you couldn't get too personal with the creators.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 10-26-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Not only that but Brandon is a local where I live
    Same here, though I do have 2 hr ferry ride first.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers