Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DC/Marvel: Similar Storylines?

What are some similar storylines from Marvel and DC, for instance:

* Millennium and Secret Invasion
    * Kingdom Come and Civil War
    * Post Civil War Captain America vs Post Final Crisis Batman
    ...I saw one site talk about 'House of M' and 'Flashpoint', but I really didn't follow those.

Any others you can think of? It doesn't have to be major crossovers. It can be similar storylines in individual books too.

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    What are some similar storylines from Marvel and DC, for instance:

* Millennium and Secret Invasion
    * Kingdom Come and Civil War
    * Post Civil War Captain America vs Post Final Crisis Batman
    ...I saw one site talk about 'House of M' and 'Flashpoint', but I really didn't follow those.

Any others you can think of? It doesn't have to be major crossovers. It can be similar storylines in individual books too.
    The Vision and the Red Tornado were both red-skinned androids created by an enemy of the respective Earths' greatest heroes super-team and then unleashed upon those teams, only to turn around and join the very ones they were supposed to defeat.

Not only that, but both heroes premiered within 2 months of each other. It took at least 3 months to produce a comic book, so both companies were working on virtually identical projects at the same time. Anyone smell espionage?

As for Kingdom Come, I myself would compare it to Earth X. Earth X seemed like Marvel's response to Kingdom Come because both involved the ultimate fates of the heroes, but EX, which came out 3 years after KC, took it to the future instead of the present and was done on a more grandiose scale. They may not compare too closely, but CW was nothing like KC, and was more than a decade later.

Actually, there was a story from Marvel with a similar plot to Millennium. I don't remember it too well, but it involved the creation of Godlike youths called the Young Gods, which is pretty much the purpose behind Millennium, if memory serves.

I can definitely see the other two comparisons.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 10-27-2014 at 06:45 PM.

The other obvious link between Kingdom Come and Earth X is Alex Ross involved in both.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Well, in Axis this week the villains came just in time to save the day...a lot like Forever Evil. I still say that the idea for Secret Wars came from earlier issues of Superman where Mr. Mxy..... would make Superman and Flash race

Haven't read Marvel Zombies but is it any similar to Blackest Night?
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Outside of characters being zombies, not really. Marvel Zombies is played more for laughs.

BANNED

I would say Necrosha is more the marvel equvalent of blackest night.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

How about the Dark knight Returns and Spider-man: Reign. But that was intentional.

More importantly, Hichman's Avengers super-epic and Crisis on Infinite Earths!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

@ Poorly drawn hero

Yeah, the Vision/Red Tornado thing is right up there with the Doom Patrol/X-men.

With Millennium, I was thinking more of the "someone is a (Skrull/Manhunter)" thing.

I never read Earth X, but Kingdom Come and Civial War have a lot in common to me plot wise.
    Last edited by edpower; 10-28-2014 at 11:53 AM.

@ fmvgamer

Wasn't Chaos War supposed to be like 'Blackest Night'?

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    Haven't read Marvel Zombies but is it any similar to Blackest Night?
    Didn't DC do a ghost storyline that was similar to 'Marvel Zombies'?

Oh wait! Didn't Marvel and DC BOTH do events with their annuals one year where they introduced new heroes? DC's was called 'Bloodlines', I think.

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    @ Poorly drawn hero

Yeah, the Vision/Red Tornado thing is right up there with the Doom Patrol/X-men.

With Millennium, I was thinking more of the "someone is a (Skrull/Manhunter)" thing.

I never read Earth X, but Kingdom Come and Civial War have a lot in common to me plot wise.
    The X-Men wasn't necessarily a direct rip off of Doom Patrol at least not the first issue. The ideas for the series could have been know as early as six months before the release of the comic.

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    The X-Men wasn't necessarily a direct rip off of Doom Patrol at least not the first issue. The ideas for the series could have been know as early as six months before the release of the comic.

I've always thought of the DP as the Fantastic Four as misfits. Negative Man looked enough like the Human Torch, and decades later Alex Ross actually used photo negatives as references for the Torch. Robot Man had that whole "Geez, am I even human anymore?" deal in common with the Thing (not to mention a skull-ish head), Rita was like Sue Storm given Reed Richards-ish powers. Not stretching per se, but if Mr. Fantastic wanted to he could become a giant. Plus there's that code name, "Elasti-Girl". And the original DP were not kids either. The only real similarity to the X-Men that I can see is the professor in the chair with the Richards intellect. I mean there was the "lets gather misfits" angle, but the team itself? FF. Also, didn't Caulder turn Cliff into Robot Man? Another FF parallel. Then again, it seems likely that the DP inspired the X-Men as well, considering they were both the brain children of the same creative team.

The other possible inspiration for the FF would be the Challengers of the Unknown, whose origin is strikingly similar. An airplane or rocket crashes and the survivors vow to band together for the common good.

BANNED

And literally both companies are doing multiversal crises next year honestly I wish they would just merge