Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Won't happen. Time Warner can be bought by Comcast or Amazon or Google or Apple. Zero percent Disney gets them

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Won't happen. Time Warner can be bought by Comcast or Amazon or Google or Apple. Zero percent Disney gets them
    Walt Disney would be foolish in a business sense to allow another Company to acquire Time Warner when they could acquire Time Warner themselves. I mean Walt Disney and Time Warner are competing for the same dollar so if Walt Disney allows another company to acquire Time Warner that would mean Walt Disney would be facing a much larger competitor with much larger assets who’s main goal would be to take a larger portion of that dollar. I just do not think Walt Disney can allow that to happen.
    Last edited by Jesters Joker; 01-10-2015 at 02:22 PM.

BANNED

Fox was going to buy them for $80 billion a few months back.

As much fun as it would be to see Pixar vs Mortal Kombat, I just don't see it happening.

Astonishing Member

That would be absolutely fucking awful. Take a look at how WWE/F got after they bought WCW for a taste of what you'd get.

Amazing Member

I hope it never happens :P there is always more fun when there are two sides

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Fox was going to buy them for $80 billion a few months back.
    And they resisted the buy out so much so that they wanted to buy over CBS corporation to stop the takeover. But either ways, I doubt Disney would ever be able to buy out TW

Quote Originally Posted by supermario View Post
    Yes I agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by supermario View Post
    Agreed. Competition breeds better quality and the economics are better for consumers. We may be fans of either Marvel and/or DC, but we're first and foremost consumers of the two media giants. It's better for us, as consumers and fans, that they remain separate.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    Still a monopoly. Marvel and DC merged would be about 80% of the US based comic book companies. This is unfair competition.
    Monopolies are not illegal. Using a monopoly to unfairly depress competition is illegal.

It's questionable whether such a merger would be even amount to a monopoly, in legal terms. In comic books there is enough third party publishers, even if they are comparatively tiny. In movies we have MGM, Sony, and others, so no monopoly there either.

I doubt that a merger would be blocked simply because there's no legal rationale for it.

I doubt, however, that Disney would have much interest in the Time part of Time Warner.

A merger could happen if the two companies think there is sufficient profit to made by such a move, and if they could convince the stockholders of that. But I don't think it's likely.

BANNED

That is true. DC and Marvel are about more than comics. Film and TV are on their radar. And after a merger, the stock holders and bean counters would want to do more movies/TV because that's were the money's at. The comics would turn into a pure IP farm and after a few years, no new comics.
    It don't take a merger to do that, and a merger wouldn't result in no new comics. They already are IP farms, and they still do new comics.

Spectacular Member

Still a monopoly. Marvel and DC merged would be about 80% of the US based comic book companies. This is unfair competition.

Taking a look at 2013 dollar share, less than 65%. Diamond Comics has a bigger share in the comics distribution business and no one tried to block that, wouldn't happen either if Marvel and DC were to merge, since the comics is a minuscule particle in the publishing business.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I doubt, however, that Disney would have much interest in the Time part of Time Warner.

The Time part of Time Warner is no longer a part of them. They keep the name but Time Inc spun off last June. Same has been done Time Warner Cable and Warner Music Group, they're no longer part of the conglomerate. Wonder if DC comics will be dropped off in the short future. Guess DC Ent. (under Time Warner control) could sign off the movie rights to Warner and then they would sell DC or just make it its own company...

I doubt it. Though it would be cool to see DC & Marvel work together in a sense, as an unlikely of a circumstance that is.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    That would be absolutely fucking awful. Take a look at how WWE/F got after they bought WCW for a taste of what you'd get.
    Man, I'd just finally repressed that memory.