Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    And it is for reasons like this that I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in the DC/WB machine/monster anymore. Especially the Movie side of it. The company is run by morons and idiots in $1000 dollar suits.
    ...what?

I don't even understand this logic at all. What does DC having lost the rights to the name by the early 70s have to do with the completely unrelated people making movies for WB four decades later using DC properties?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't wish any of their movies to fail.
    Neither do i. Even the ones i have zero interest in watching (Doctor Strange, Black Panther, etc). Marvel fans, on the other hand....

Retired

Amalgam Comics did an amalgam version of DC's Captain Marvel and Marvel's Captain Mar-Vell. I wonder what an amalgam of Mary Marvel and Ms. Marvel would look like.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    DC lost the name through it's own carelessness a long time ago. Marvel swooped in a like a vulture and has kept hold of it ever since. Tradition and substance mean nothing against pure, hard greed.
    I don't think DC owned the character of Captain Marvel until after Marvel copyrighted the name. It was during the time that the old Fawcett characters were in limbo and DC hadn't bought the rights to them, I think.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Moment of silence........................SHAZAM!!!!

As long as his best friend is a talking tiger who wears a bow tie I don't think it matters what he's called.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I don't think DC owned the character of Captain Marvel until after Marvel copyrighted the name. It was during the time that the old Fawcett characters were in limbo and DC hadn't bought the rights to them, I think.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Exactly, when Marvel got a hold of the trademark, DC hadn't quite bought the Fawett character yet.

DC totally have let the fans down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    :shrug: Still the superior character compared to the one who has the name now, regardless.
    Absolutely
    Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    Eh, Shazam is a much cooler codename anyway.
    B-b-but Shazam is the name of the Wizard and the source of his powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Billy is and will always be Captain Marvel to me. Carol is Ms. Marvel. Plain and simple.
    To you, should probably give that up as the rest of the world won't be calling him that and the non-comic readers would name Ms Marvel Captain Marvel when the movie releases

Quote Originally Posted by ActualNoobler View Post
    DC totally have let the fans down.
    No one seriously cares.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

To the victor ... go the spoils.

by theamat

Retired

DC and Fawcett settled out of court--which might be what eventually bit DC in the ass. Fawcett agreed to pay compensation to National Comics (DC) and to stop publication of their comics, if National would drop their lawsuit.

However, if the lawsuit had gone ahead and the court found in DC's favour--then that might have put in writing some conditions on Captain Marvel. And if there was a judgement that prohibited the use of Captain Marvel expressly--then that might have stopped Marvel from reviving the name in the '60s. Heck Atlas might not have renamed itself Marvel Comics at all for fear of DC's wrath--and would even the Brits dare to create Marvelman?

It's odd that Marvel took the names of two super-heroes that were the subject of legal battles regarding Superman: Wonder Man and Captain Marvel.

Huh? Did u guys miss him being call Shazam all over the place or something. They said goodbye to it a while ago.

They can call him Captain Marvel I believe, but they cannot copyright it, nor title a comic or film as such. But I don't understand how Marvel comics gets it, since the use of the name predates their company being called that.

Ultimate Member

Billy will always be Captain Marvel to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    They can call him Captain Marvel I believe, but they cannot copyright it, nor title a comic or film as such. But I don't understand how Marvel comics gets it, since the use of the name predates their company being called that.
    DC can call him Captain Marvel but they cant title the comic he's in "Captain Marvel". or any cartoons, tv shows, or movies for that matter. which really puts them in a bind in the age of multimedia.