Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Unhappy Damn... well, goodbye, "Captain Marvel" name...

If there was ever a chance, a sliver of hope that the character would ever be referred as that again (like, say, in an Elseworlds), I guess this has completely removed it:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56670

There was a lot of history behind that name.

BANNED

I'm pretty sure he'll be called it in Multiversity, but yeah, that'll probably be the last time.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Wasn't the whole point of referring to him as Shazam now was to distance the character from the name?
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Retired

This isn't recent news--we always knew it was going to happen. DC hasn't been able to use the Captain Marvel name for a very long time.

But fans of Captain Marvel shouldn't take this lying down. Fawcett's Captain Marvel will never be written out of comics history--and all we need to do to keep him alive is to keep remembering him. Corporations might try to defend trademarks by controlling their use--but they can't control our free speech.

Fawcett's Captain Marvel will always exist, just as Lev Gleason's Daredevil and Harvey's Black Cat.

BANNED

DC lost the name through it's own carelessness a long time ago. Marvel swooped in a like a vulture and has kept hold of it ever since. Tradition and substance mean nothing against pure, hard greed.

I remember Billy having probably THE absolute coolest superhero name out of all the Golden Age characters.

The thing that irks me is that, up till now, the name still doesn't "fit" Carol, IMO. And I still don't like her new costume, compared to her Cockrum one.

But again, I guess without that, we don't get the awesome Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel.

But people could still go to the premier of that Marvel movie dressed as Fawcett's Captain Marvel and stage a mass demonstration.

:shrug: Still the superior character compared to the one who has the name now, regardless.

Eh, Shazam is a much cooler codename anyway.

The nail in the coffin. Lousy Marvel copyright.

Hopefully Marvel's "Captain Marvel" will crash and burn. Hey, one of their movies has to be the first real failure, right?

I'm a fan of the original Captain Marvel, not all those Marvel Comics trademark placeholder characters they keep trotting out. I'm not rooting for them.
    Last edited by andersonh1; 10-28-2014 at 02:48 PM.

I don't wish any of their movies to fail. I remain one of the few people who have yet to get really amped for a single Marvel movie (and today's announcements did nothing for me either), but I don't wish them lack of success just because I don't care about them.

And I will say, although Johns originally said it as a way to spin the loss, in this instance I still believe its very much true: most people outside fandom see the guy and think Shazam anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    DC lost the name through it's own carelessness a long time ago. Marvel swooped in a like a vulture and has kept hold of it ever since. Tradition and substance mean nothing against pure, hard greed.
    And it is for reasons like this that I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in the DC/WB machine/monster anymore. Especially the Movie side of it. The company is run by morons and idiots in $1000 dollar suits.

Retired

Right now when I enter captain marvel as a search term on google or bing, it's DC's Captain Marvel that comes up first, followed by Marvel's. Maybe this will change in the future (or just reflects my searches online), but I wonder when the movie gets close to release how many in the media will put out erroneous information--because we know some in the media are not very good at getting the facts straight and just pull whatever they find off the internet.

Billy is and will always be Captain Marvel to me. Carol is Ms. Marvel. Plain and simple.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!