Incredible Member

Default New Marvel Slate a tacit acknowledgement that standalone iron man movies are creatively bankrupt?

We all saw the list, and we all know what was NOT listed through 2019 so far. A new standalone iron man movie.

Most people liked the first a great deal, but the following two installments, while wildly successful financially, were creative duds by an awful lot of people. They are the X-Men Last Stands of the series. RDJ seemed to have his agents/lawyers put an awful lot of effort into increasing his presence in the new captain america movie, over and above the appearance in the avengers movies.

What this suggests to me, is that even people like RDJ knows that his standalone movies were creatively bankrupt compared to winter soldier and gotg. He did not clamor to get into a new thor movie, because even those are not as fertile for rich content like captain america was/is.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

PS

I am not against iron man, his first movie was excellent, and I think he is FANTASTIC as part of a larger ensemble where the focus is not just on his own particular comic universe.
    Last edited by Sammael; 10-28-2014 at 12:41 PM.

All-New Member

Nonsense. Everyone liked Iron Man 2 before the nerd consensus on it switched, and people are mad about Iron Man 3 because they refuse to acknowledge All Hail the King and can't see the film for what it is past seeing red.

Incredible Member

It was an issue of time and money, plain and simple. They had an opportunity and money enough to convince Downey (who's been weary of the role for awhile now, just from the sheer commitment it requires, he's always been an actor who prefers versatility) to do one more movie, and given the choice between another Iron Man film and using that last appearance to do something that wouldn't be possible in an Iron Man film, ie tying him into Captain America and creating Civil War....well, they chose the option that gave the widest and most lasting impact on the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a whole.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeardieTheDuck View Post
    Nonsense. Everyone liked Iron Man 2 before the nerd consensus on it switched, and people are mad about Iron Man 3 because they refuse to acknowledge All Hail the King and can't see the film for what it is past seeing red.
    Well according to Rotten Tomatoes review list, all were rated "fresh" but Iron Man has 93% 2 has 73% and 3 had 78%.
    By contrast Captain America went from the 1st at 79% to the second getting 89%.

BANNED

Or perhaps its as simple as RDJ not wanting to do another solo movie.

Extraordinary Member

QUOTE=JediMindTrick;658286]Or perhaps its as simple as RDJ not wanting to do another solo movie.[/QUOTE]

Unless Mel Gibson is directing

Also let's see what the damage of Avengers 2, Cap 3 : Civil war and Thor 3 will do to Tony.

IM4 will probably be in phase 4.

BANNED

I think it's just a big sign Downy doesn't feel like making stand alone Iron Man movies anymore. Given how much Iron Man 3 made, and that he's likely the reason Avengers did so well; Marvel would probably love to make more of those. Do you really think Marvel is in this for creative reason?

Quote Originally Posted by BeardieTheDuck View Post
    That isn't true about Iron Man 2...at all.

This isn't much of a theory until other characters get a fourth film ahead of Iron Man. Right now it looks like they want to develop some other characters.

I thought RD Jr. was sick of the role as well and that him and Chris Evans were just looking to finish off their contracts and move on to other stuff but that doesn't appear to be the case; according to sources, Marvel initially wanted RD Jr. to cameo in the Cap 3 for a short scene but it was Downey's side that asked for a bigger chunk of the movie. Reportedly Fiege and Downey's lawyer had to play hardball with CEO Ike Perlmutter to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post

Unless Mel Gibson is directing

Also let's see what the damage of Avengers 2, Cap 3 : Civil war and Thor 3 will do to Tony.

IM4 will probably be in phase 4.
    That was just an off hand comment on his part.

Basically:

Interviewer: "What do you think of a Mel Gibson directed Iron Man movie?"

RD Jr: Yeah, sure that would be cool.

Internet: ZOMG, ROBERT DOWNEY JR WANTS MEL GIBSON TO DIRECT IRON MAN 4!!!

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Looking for The Massive afrocarter's Avatar

The Order Changeth. As the MCU progresses, newer heroes will emerge as the incumbents retire. I think we can assume that, along with Iron Man, Cap (Steve Rogers) and Thor will be hanging it up once their respective trilogies conclude.

As for the topic at hand, I have been saying this for a while now: Iron Man 4 will be a soft reboot after Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 & 2. Basically, set in the same continuity but with different actors for Stark, Pepper and Rhodey. Meanwhile Steve dies fighting Thanos and Bucky picks up the mantle of Captain America for Cap 4.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly