Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

He says he's not doing Brood. But then he says he's doing X-Men meets Aliens which is so Brood you could get sued. weird
    Game Over man! Game Over!

Spectacular Member dark phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    Huh, this is kind of unexpected. Honestly, I'm kinda glad. Wood has been an odd fit with the X-Men. I did like his run, but there was always something missing in his run.

Guggenheim wrote Young X-Men right? Was that any good? It got canceled pretty quickly, didn't it?
    It lasted 12 issues I think? I didn't care for it. A lot of people didn't like it because of the popularity of the New X-men cast who were mostly swept under the rug.
    "Cyclops was RIGHT!"

According to Wood he left on his own. I can believe that he either got tired of the negative fan comments due to Rachel/Sublime and his other poor decisions or maybe it was the fact that he was constantly fucked over by Avengers books taking Rogue and not being able to address that despite fans' constant questions. Also this book has suffered from the constant art shifts and poorly paced arcs. I really hope Guggenheim can correct this ship's course but his work on stuff like YXM isn't the best show of skill.
    Last edited by Tomppa; 05-09-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Young X-men was bad. But I've been enjoying Arrow a lot.

I'm conflicted

Well I can't say I'm disappointed or anything. BOTA really did a number on this series but my interest kept falling with weird characterizations, slow build up, and weak resolutions. I don't have any experience past Young X-Men but I hope Guggenheim's take will be for the good.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Fantastic Member

While I really liked Wood's work on Ultimate X-men, and adored the cast he assembled for this book, I never felt like the run quite gelled. After the first few, really enjoyable issues it started to get muddled. Losing Coipel as artist so soon into the series' run didn't help either.

I'm sure I've read stuff by Guggenheim, but I don't remember it. I'm not a fan of Arrow (having watched only the first season), but I'll give this an arc and see how it goes.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Well I can't say I'm disappointed or anything. BOTA really did a number on this series but my interest kept falling with weird characterizations, slow build up, and weak resolutions. I don't have any experience past Young X-Men but I hope Guggenheim's take will be for the good.
    I have to say I'm not sorry to see him go. This book has been up and down, but mostly down, which is a shame because the first two issues were so promising. That being said, I can't place all the blame on Brian. Not his fault that BotA happened, and not his fault that Bendis and Remender walked away with a chunk of his core team members. It must be really hard to develop a vibe for your book when you're forced to participate in a crossover that makes your cast look like extras and then you have to replace two of them before the book has even made it through six months. This book could very well have established itself as the #1 X-book...oh well. Fingers crossed for the takeover in August but I'm not holding my breath.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kwadruple View Post
    I have to say I'm not sorry to see him go. This book has been up and down, but mostly down, which is a shame because the first two issues were so promising. That being said, I can't place all the blame on Brian. Not his fault that BotA happened, and not his fault that Bendis and Remender walked away with a chunk of his core team members. It must be really hard to develop a vibe for your book when you're forced to participate in a crossover that makes your cast look like extras and then you have to replace two of them before the book has even made it through six months. This book could very well have established itself as the #1 X-book...oh well. Fingers crossed for the takeover in August but I'm not holding my breath.
    This. I think the promise of the original 6 was great, but the second BotA happened Wood was doomed. He lost 2 beloved characters to readers, and essentially had his book hijacked by Bendis and Aaron. The only good thing was that Rachel and Kitty got to participate in the event in the Wood books, but that was it. From that point he was trying to rebuild the book, and sure he had some stumbles, but he was trying. I think things were starting to go on an upswing.
    I'm kinda torn about MG coming on because YXM was just horrendous. These boards were in an uproar by issue 2. Glad Rachel is being the heart of his first arc, girl needs something more than the bacteria kissing walkie talkie. Even more excited about seeing Deathbird, as she was comatose and near dead last we saw her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I hope the book will retain the New/Young X-Men back-up feature.
    I hope not. It was the worst part of the book. It rudely interrupted the main story so some bit players could do some action scene? Hardly worth it when half of Wood's plots already seemed to be missing essential scenes (namely endings). Plus, Guggenheim dumped the New X-Men when he started Young X-Men, so I wouldn't expect a ton of them to break through in his book.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Not a huge Guggenheim fan by any means, but this sounds promising. I'll give him the first arc and see how it goes...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by dark phoenix View Post
    It lasted 12 issues I think? I didn't care for it. A lot of people didn't like it because of the popularity of the New X-men cast who were mostly swept under the rug.
    Yeah, I wasn't at all a fan of the book, although that maybe had to do with the characters more than the writing.

He was also the writer on JSA before the New 52 reboot and I thought his work there was pretty decent.

Incredible Member RobertoDaCosta's Avatar

please bring the young x-men to the book!
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

Whaaat? :O

WTF i really liked wood. Too bad Bendis and Remender screw him over. I really want wood to stay on the X-men and have some editorial freedom.

with all due respect to Mr. Guggenheim (whom I'm sure is quite capable of doing a fine job with this title), the writing duties should have been passed into the hands of one of the many talented female writers working in the field.