Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Interesting quote from the original IGN article breaking the news:

Guggenheim: Hmm... You know, I would say a lot of the story's emotional core comes from Rachel. One of the other things I wanted to do was something that I don't think they really had as much of an opportunity to deal with in X-Men: Kingbreaker was the idea that -- and I guess it was Chris Claremont's third run on Uncanny X-Men -- the Shi'ar Empire was basically responsible for the deaths of all of Rachel's family. I wanted to come up with a story -- all the stories that I pitched to Mike and Dan, I wanted them all to have an emotional through line, so that, in addition to cool set pieces and fun plot, there would be a real, emotional anchor to each of these stories.

For the space story, Rachel and her family history is a big part of her, a big part of the story that deals a lot with themes of vengeance and how one honors the memory of their fallen family. So Rachel's very much at the core.
    Sounds like Guggenheim is doing more than just paying lip-service to the idea of focusing on the core cast. The fact that he even referenced Rachel's narrative arc and Kingbreaker in interview is pretty amazing, in my opinion.

Positive on this, so far.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post

Sounds like Guggenheim is doing more than just paying lip-service to the idea of focusing on the core cast. The fact that he even referenced Rachel's narrative arc and Kingbreaker in interview is pretty amazing, in my opinion.

Now I'm really interested in this arc.

Believes in Cyclops

Question: Will he continue the Bling!/Mercury/Jubilee dilemna?

Poor Old Cessily needs some lovin'

BANNED

Meh, it's his own fault his run was so crap. Not editorial.

Sure, losing Kitty and Rogue did **** things up a bit, but there were far bigger problems with this run. The characters having no personality and the stories being unfinished garbage are what did this book in.

Looking back at the reaction to the announcement of this book, to where it ended up is kind of hilarious in a fucked up way.

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Other sources with this news have stated that the team will consist of Storm, Rachel, Jubilee, Psylocke, and Monet... so I'm happy with that. Jubilee and Monet staying in the team are what will keep me interested.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    Other sources with this news have stated that the team will consist of Storm, Rachel, Jubilee, Psylocke, and Monet... so I'm happy with that. Jubilee and Monet staying in the team are what will keep me interested.
    I like the lineup more now that I've gotten over the wasteful thefts by worse writers. Dumping Karima was a smart move too, she made no sense. Frenzy would've been amazing but Monet's growing on me.

I still think the book could use Pixie tho.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

He created Ink and Greymalkin. I'm not so sure I'm happy with this writer decision........

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post

Wow, now I really am looking forward to this.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Thank goodness. Woods' run went downhill after Battle of the Atom.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    I wonder if the new writer will punt the kid.

I'm pretty much delighted Wood was fired but I'm still wary with Guggenheim taking over. Wood may not use established characterizations (a primary reason I dropped both his runs) but Guggenheim isn't the most thrilling writer. Wouldn't mind seeing Cipher, Greymalkin, and Ink show up but only if they've had lives in the interim. I hate when people are off panel for years and show up exactly as they were when they left. Oh and an aside about those off-model characters of Wood's: After I dropped the book I realized every woman in the book was acting like Monet. Out of curiosity I checked in to see how she was written and she was the only nice, agreeable one in the issue. Totally missed her character too!

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I wonder if the new writer will punt the kid.
    Haha. I wouldn't mind... however... it would have to really make sense for the story, as well as Jubilee's character. If anything, I would be happy if Shogo was left at the mansion with a sitter during missions. Having him come along all the time during battles is a bit much. I really want to see Jubilee cut loose and participate combat-wise. I thought turning her into a vampire was supposed to revitalize her as a character, including emotional and physical content. So far, we have seen a lot of the drama surrounding being a vampire... but very little (in this title,) of her kicking butt and taking names with her super strength, speed, durability, hypnosis, and mist form. She fought a sentinel for a few panels a couple issues ago. It would also be nice to see her take on a more leadership-based role, continuing on with what Wood has been doing with her and the younger characters.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

You know, 17 is the magic number for Complete Collection TPBs, so perhaps we'll see an X-Men by Brian Wood Complete Collection in a year or two.

Hopefully he'll tell WTF was the big deal with Cipher and whatever she was afraid of.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Hopefully he'll tell WTF was the big deal with Cipher and whatever she was afraid of.
    YES!!

Solve the CIPHER!