Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Default Women in Comics (Interesting 538 Article)

I was surprised to see my favorite political blog Five Thirty-Eight had a detailed breakdown and article on women in comics. Thought some here might enjoy it:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...n-comic-books/

Looks like Dc has won again!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

This may be a very different opinion but I feel with women readership, it is just the social stigma of comics. Comics are seen as geeky and such, so I mean being a geek doesn't really do you good in school and stuff. I feel that if there is a top women celebrity that reads comics books like a good role model then maybe the stigma could be gone and more women. Same goes for guys, like if have LeBron James reading the Flash or something then that looks cool.

I'm just saying. I mean you get a big name who is a good role model like reading comics then people will flock. You know.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The industry, and DC in particular per this thread, will only change if they feel there is money to be made in it. They won't do anything that bleeds profits away, whatever we think and say here (and I say that as someone who wants more female readers).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I think thats a misconception, if people are really interested they will read comics (when/if they are introduced). Whether there open/public about reading comics or their love for a medium is a different story.

As for the article, it is pretty thorough looks like they put in a fair amount of research. I don't think this shocked anyone, or at least not me. The state of the industry speaks to larger societal and historical factors. As the article alludes, its on fans to push for these changes. New LGBT characters is probably what I'll be keeping an eye out for over the next several years
    The J-man