Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Wonder Woman #35 SPOILERS

I just read WW#35 together with WW#Secret origins. If WW#33 felt The empire strikes back then WW#35 feels like Return of the Jedi, but skipping the teddy-dwarfs' celebration. Which is all good if you ask me

What's essentially celebrated instead are young women getting to try their ways, on their own, with the world.

-Poseidon makes a grab for the throne as everyone else is occupied on Paradise island.
    -Zola turned out to be Athena, reborn. Slits Posedion's eye and says Zeke will have the throne.
    -Zeke is revealed to be Zeus. Athena saying he was tired of what he'd become, or perhaps amused by it. Wanting to be reborn.
    -Diana goes all Wonder Woman on First Born. While tying him up, telling him that: "You scream for love, First born. Yet you know nothing of it. Love required compassion. Nurturing. And above all. Submission!"
    -Zeus is put back on the throne, and lightning hits. First born and Diana falls down a pit on a piece of rock. Diana helps him up and First born asks if she offers him love. Diana says she offers him tough love, and throws him down the pit asking him to understand that "Submission is faith in the strength of others.", hoping he'll learn as he one day will climb up.
    -Zeus is still a baby on the throne and Zola is still Athena. Diana asks about Zola, and Athena says she slept inside of her, as her true nature.
    -Diana asks her to stay Zola. For Zeke. Given how First born turned out (and the rest of Zeke's children) when love wasn't there. For everyone's sake Athena leaves Zola's body, and flies away as an owl.
    -Diana says thanks to Athena. Zola asks "Who?"

A question that brings things the story to Secret origins
    -Diana spars with Aleka. Says she wants to leave the island, in hopes of becoming something more than just a princess.
    -Being ashamed of wanting to leave Athena comes into her life and reveals herself. Saying she has nothing to be ashamed of, and that she has Athena's support.
    -Athena then gives her some wind by handing her Trevor, whom Diana uses a ticket to man's world. And thus things go full circle.

So what did I think of it? As usual, I really liked it. And as usual, it surprised to no end. While there are things that'll have to sink it, I think it all floats (which some readers probably will think is because this run is brown and stinky haha.) really well.

Especially how Diana tells Athena about Zola, that she: "--is kind. She is clever. She is honorable and forgiving and witty and every life she's touched is better because in the midst of chaos, she showed us humanity." asking Athena to choose love above else. No matter what Zola truly was, it's what she is that matters. And the same goes for Diana (Clay or not.).

And as usual it didn't tell all but -and perhaps too much at times- showing things instead. Essentially relying on the reader. But for those who doesn't like that, it gives plenty of opportunity for the next writers to build upon and expand. And I really think identity is a thing the book really opens up a can of worms of/for, and then rises it in celebration. A torch I hope the next team carries with them.

Something it also opens up is my copy of WW vol.1 Blood with things gone full circle

In short. (sorry for editing this post as much as I have.)

Pros:
    -A lot of stuff that can be discussed and given theories!
    -Reveals the aim with the story.
    -Great phasing.
    -Lovely ending with Diana and Zola. Also the up note one with Diana visiting "man's world", with Steve (needing to leave) as her ticket to ride.

Cons:
    -Too much stuff can be discussed and given theories? (not sure everyone will want to.)
    -No lovely ending between Diana and Hippolyta. (but then, perhaps something for the next teams)

Question:
    I wonder if Azzarello and Chiang could'v been a bit more selfish with some of the story. Perhaps closing some more doors than just leaving them open. Perhaps it's the out they felt they needed to be as inclusive as possible for both readers (new as old as returning) and future writers, so that the character didn't get stuck. Or perhaps it's just Azzarello's way of writing longer stories.
    Last edited by borntohula; 10-29-2014 at 02:53 AM.