Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Secret Origins 6 (Spoilers)

It was a pretty eventful 12 pages, but not completely satisfying; it really needed to be a full issue, I think. Or maybe two or three issues: one about WW's conception and birth, and one about the events leading up to her exit form the island.

Spoiling a 12-page story doesn't leave much room for the imagination, so go away if you want to be able to enjoy the book!

Only one more page of Zeus and Hippolyta after the preview.
    "In the face of a forbidden love," they "came together and created a legend." And then it shows them enjoying said "forbidden love" while winds swirl around them, and there's a panel that focuses on the winds blowing on the clay statue. Maybe it's too early and I'm not awake enough, but I'm still not sure what this means, exactly--that they created a cover story (or legend) by collaborating on making it appear that the statue was animated? Or that they really did animate the statue together (thus creating the soon-to-be-legendary hero Diana) by making love? The latter would, as Vonter pointed out on the preview thread, raise the question of why Hippolyta in #3 didn't tell her that she really was made of clay even though she was Zeus's daughter. I really would have liked a little more on Hippolyta and Zeus.

Aleka, clearly in love with Diana, is hurt that Diana's determined to leave, so she lashes out by calling her "Clay," leaving Diana grim-faced. "Later that night," Hippolyta is warning about Man's World (the first time that phrase has been used in the run, I think?) and how it "only desires one thing. While you believe it longs for another." [Sex and love, I assume.] Seems like evidence not only of what Hippolyta thinks of having been abandoned by Zeus, but also perhaps evidence that mens' use of women as sex objects is a reason that the Amazons despise men and their world. Hippolyta leaves after suggesting that someday maybe one day they can visit Man's World and "make a weekend of it" [which we hope would not involve visiting sailors]. Diana's thinking about how badly she longs for a place where she won't have to hide who she is. Exaclty what she's hiding is a little unclear; people "know" that she's clay, so I suppose she's referring to god mode, though it's not mentioned. Whether or not she's also referring to her heterosexuality, I think it's all at least a metaphor for having to hide one's sexual identity, as suggested by the title of the comic where this story is supposed to have first appeared: "Closet of Mystery."

So, she's thinking about this and the shadowy figure reveals herself: finally, Athena! She's an owl woman with an aegis shield bearing what appears to be Zeus' face, and wearing gold banded bracelets (and not much else). Her eyes are orange/gold, lending support to those who think Zola's eye color in 34 shows a connection to Zeus. Having apparently read Diana's mind, she offers her support for Diana's desire to find her own path, but says she can't help because "this struggle is one you must go alone."After she leaves, cut to....

Finally, Steve Trevor! His place is approaching the Bermuda Triangle. (Interesting that PI, or at least the way to get to PI, is still in the Bermuda Triangle. From Demon Knights, I thought the island was in the vicinity of Greece.) Cue sudden blast of wind (which reminds me of the winds around Hippolyta, Zeus and the statue at the beginning), leading to a crash landing. Diana sees the crash, finds Trevor, and there's banter about being "strong for a woman," "paradise," and the stimulating ups and downs of mans world. Hippolyta and her guards find Diana with Steve, whom Diana declares to be her "ticket" off the island. Nothing about a tournament, or about Diana having to help Steve escape (as rumored, according to reporters in JL). Athena is watching from the woods and thinking about her faith in Diana; the implication, as I read it, is that Athena engineered the arrival of Diana's "ticket." I like that the goddess seems to have taken an active hand in bringing Diana to the larger world to be a hero. Once again, it seems to me that Azz's book has built towards a stronger theme of female empowerment in the end, after first perhaps trying to hook readers who might have been more interested in "bad ass" than female empowerment.

With Athena having apparently summoned the wind to down Steve's plane, it seems more likely that she's emerge in 35 as the one from the prophecy to whom Zeus abandoned fate, who can blow away the smoke if she chooses. Her shield suggests that she's loyal to Zeus (or at least was, five years ago) but maybe she'll have been moved by Diana's courageous and heroic actions and will decide to take Diana's side by exposing Zeus' plan (whatever it is). If the wind imagery is important, maybe there's some connection between Athena and Siracca (besides being half sisters), and maybe Siracca will show up in 35 too.

One observation that may be a big stretch--I noticed that when Hippolyta is visiting Diana in her room, her shadow is big and lumpen. It seems realistic enough for a shadow cast by torchlight, but I still wondered whether it foreshadowed a revelation that Hippolyta herself was secretly made from clay. I've speculated before that a clay Hippolyta would foreshadow a few things; and if it having been made of clay makes a powerful and singular being, it could mean that Diana's power comes from both her parents.

Diana looks pretty young considering that she's just about to become Wonder Woman. But then, the Minotaur looked pretty different in #0; it seems like there are some details we should take with a grain of salt when this run's "retro" style is used.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-22-2014 at 04:50 AM.

Aleka being a massive tsundere deeply in love with Diana has finally been confirmed.
    I got everything I wanted from this run.

Also, Sudzuka's art was immensely stronger in this issue than in many priors. I think the lighter coloring helped him a lot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    Aleka being a massive tsundere
    Thanks for that word. Just looked it up. Interesting.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This is the first Azz Wonder Woman story I've bought and read since issue #14. Azz lead us to believe that there was some "big reveal" in this issue. Was is that Aleka was Diana's childhood best friend or that Athena gave Diana a pep-talk? Speaking of Athena, she's has the appearance of an owl. Hermes has the appearance of a chicken. Are the two closely related? The art was nice as it gave the story a very Silver Age feel. Some of the dialogue was just plain terrible especially when Hippolyte comments that she and Diana will make a "weekend" out of going to Man's World. We finally got to see Steve Trevor under Azz's pen and it was kind of a let down as well. The gist that I got was that Diana used Steve as a reason to support her case to leave to Man's World. That seems very out of character to me. On the flip side, there weren't any real deviant elements in this story which was a nice surprise. Had Azz left the majority of them out of his story, I probably would have been more tolerant of it. 2/5 stars.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Azz lead us to believe that there was some "big reveal" in this issue.
    Obviously, Athena is the one that caused Steve Trevor to crash land on paradise island, it wasn't a simple accident.

Astonishing Member

Some of the dialogue was just plain terrible especially when Hippolyte comments that she and Diana will make a "weekend" out of going to Man's World.
    That was Silver Age campiness, in keeping with the retro style of this issue (and of issue #0). It's silly by design. (That doesn't mean you have to enjoy it, of course! I'm just pointing out that there was a reason for that seemingly "terrible" dialogue.)

The gist that I got was that Diana used Steve as a reason to support her case to leave to Man's World.That seems very out of character to me.
    How come? Clearly, she did use him as a reason; but she used him by helping him (i.e., taking him home). It's quite in character for Diana to be curious about Man's World and to be happy to have an occasion to get there. Maybe she doesn't fall head over heels with Steve at first sight in any obvious way; but love at first sight can be superficial, and I'd rather think she came to love him as she got to know him. Besides, with Diana having split with Steve in the present day, maybe it made sense for this story not to treat Steve as if he were the love of her life.

Obviously, Athena is the one that caused Steve Trevor to crash land on paradise island.
    Exactly. It's implied, not stated, but it's implied pretty strongly.

I think the fact that Hippolyta actually made a clay baby is also the beginning of a revelation. The more I think about, the more I suspect that the clay statue became not Diana, but Zola. Suppose this happened: Hippolyta got pregnant, as we learned in issue 3, and someone (probably Athena) removed the statue, ostensibly in order to help Hippolyta with a cover story. But Athena saw special potential in the statue because of how Hippolyta molded it in loving desire for a baby and because it was "blessed" by Hippolyta's and Zeus' moment of love. So, after a couple of years or so, Athena animated the statue, named her Zola (meaning "lump of earth") and gave her to a human couple to find her way in life among mortals. Meanwhile, Zeus realized that his child by Hippolyta had extraordinary power, even for one of his children, and he figured out that if had a son by Hippolyta's other "progeny," that son could have unique potential to defeat the First Born, upon his return, and maybe even to be transformed into Zeus' own new incarnation. So Zeus impregnated Zola and set this whole chain of events in motion....

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    Obviously, Athena is the one that caused Steve Trevor to crash land on paradise island, it wasn't a simple accident.

I just reread the issue. This time I saw the formation of what looks like an Owl in the clouds while Steve is flying his jet so you're most likely right. Since when can Atetha control the weather?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

It was beautiful. I thought it would have more about Zeus, but before the preview I was hoping it wouldn't feature much about her birth origin, so it's ok. Diana sounded very nice as a teenager (a weekend with her mother in man's world sounds fun... not), and Athena finally happened (though she would probably appear after issue #35 if the books were released on the correct dates). To be fair, I was hoping she wasn't "owl like", I expected her to be more human, but anyway...

Steve! Their lines are very funny, simple and direct. One cool thing is that Steve is flying an invisible jet... I mean, a stealth aircraft. And now we know Paradise Island is back on Bermuda Triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    That was Silver Age campiness, in keeping with the retro style of this issue (and of issue #0). It's silly by design. (That doesn't mean you have to enjoy it, of course! I'm just pointing out that there was a reason for that seemingly "terrible" dialogue.)

How come? Clearly, she did use him as a reason; but she used him by helping him (i.e., taking him home). It's quite in character for Diana to be curious about Man's World and to be happy to have an occasion to get there. Maybe she doesn't fall head over heels with Steve at first sight in any obvious way; but love at first sight can be superficial, and I'd rather think she came to love him as she got to know him. Besides, with Diana having split with Steve in the present day, maybe it made sense for this story not to treat Steve as if he were the love of her life.

She calls Steve her "ticket" while wearing a sinister grin on her face. That comes across as more manipulative than caring to me.

BANNED

Poor Aleka...now it's explained why she insist in calling Diana "clay". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50dj3YxS0As l
    I don't think WW is straight, but she wanting to go out the island she wouldn't want to have a something holding her on island and never looked in all signs that Aleka was into her. and maybe there is more about two young girls exploring their bodies that is not in the issue because censorship

steve scenes were very brief...wish could have more...

so Athena was behind steve and diaan getting out of island, I wonder where she was when ares started to train ww?

She calls Steve her "ticket" while wearing a sinister grin on her face. That comes across as more manipulative than caring to me.
    well she was young and wanted to see the man's world, steve was really her ticket. she will know him better and fall in love with himl. she just met him. she didn't manipulate anyone
    Last edited by Blacksun; 10-22-2014 at 05:59 AM.

Astonishing Member

I just reread the issue. This time I saw the formation of what looks like an Owl in the clouds while Steve is flying his jet so you're most likely right. Since when can Atetha control the weather?
    Since over two thousand years ago. To some extent, at least. From the Roman writer Apollodorus:

As they were about to sail off after ravishing Troy, they were held back by Kalkhas, who told them that Athena was enraged at them because of the impious act of Aias. ,,,,Athena had begged Zeus to send a storm upon the Hellenes. Many ships sank. Athena threw a thunderbolt at the ship of Aias
    I believe she was the only goddess or god besides Zeus who could throw his thunderbolts. Also, in the comics she's holding a shield that is probably the aegis, which she shared with Zeus and which was associated with thunder. If she can throw a thudnerbolt, a blast of wind doesn't seem out of the question.

You saw that as "sinister"? Really? To me, she looked happy. I realize that she was excited about leaving the island, more than about helping Steve; but, nevertheless, she was "using" him only by returning him home. Regardless of what she got out of it, that's a favor, not some kind of sinister manipulation. Is this really so different from, for instance, the animated movie, where she is clearly curious to leave the island before Steve appears?

Quote Originally Posted by blacksun
    I wonder where she was when ares started to train ww?
    Evidently watching over Diana in the form of a white owl, which we saw in #0.

I don't think WW is straight
    I don't know. When Steve says man's world has its ups and downs and she starts to respond "sound stimulating," I think that's meant to be suggestive in a vaguely heterosexual way. But then again, there's nothing here to rule out her being bisexual, as far as I can see.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-22-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Since over two thousand years ago. To some extent, at least. From the Roman writer Apollodorus:

I believe she was the only god besides Zeus who could throw his thunderbolts. Also, in the comics she's holding a shield that is probably the aegis, which she shared with Zeus and which was associated with thunder. If she can throw a thudnerbolt, a blast of wind doesn't seem out of the question.

You saw that as "sinister"? Really? To me, she looked happy. I realize that she was excited about leaving the island, more than about helping Steve; but, nevertheless, she was "using" him only by returning him home. Regardless of what she got out of it, that's a favor, not some kind of sinister manipulation. Is this really so different from, for instance, the animated movie, where she is clearly curious to leave the island before Steve appears?.

Considering that later we find out that Steve developed deep feelings for Diana and then she discarded him shortly after getting settled in Man's World, yes, it does come across as cold and manipulative. I believe she lead Steve on and when she felt secure in Man's World, she dumped him being that he was no longer necessary to help integrate her into Man's World. This story explains a lot of the "why" from moments in early issues of Justice League and Forever Evil: A.R.G.U.S.

It was okay, but nothing spectacular. I really dug the art, and I liked Athena's design. It was missing the whimsy and magic of Diana and Steve's first meeting... it seemed like Diana saw Steve more as a "ticket" off the island rather than a love-at-first-sight sort of thing.

Astonishing Member

Considering that later we find out that Steve developed deep feelings for Diana and then she discarded him shortly after getting settled in Man's World, yes, it does come across as cold and manipulative. I believe she lead Steve on and when she felt secure in Man's World, she dumped him being that he was no longer necessary to help integrate her into Man's World. This story explains a lot of the "why" from moments in early issues of Justice League and Forever Evil: A.R.G.U.S.
    When she saw him as her "ticket," she didn't know that they would one day have feelings for each other (beyond whatever attraction she felt here--and there is some innuendo in her bantering.) It's clear from JL and ARGUS that at least some of the feelings were mutual at some point (even if she did eventually fall out of love with him, or realized that she didn't love him in a truly romantic way, sometime over the next five years). Even after breaking up with him, she shows intense concern about his safety. Even in Azzarello's run (#19), she wanted Zola to name her son "Steve"; clearly she still likes the guy.

If this was "manipulative," where was the manipulation? She's calls him her "ticket" right in front of him; she's honest (though I think also playful) about her motivations. When she calls him her ticker, she's clearly not trying to "lead him on" or pretending to be motivated solely by feelings for this guy whom she just met. Why would she need to, after all? Does she need to "manipulate" him into letting her take him home?
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-22-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Plus there was no mention of any sort of contest either. So are we supposed to assume the contest didn't happen in the New 52 and Diana just took Steve to Man's World because she was the one that found him?