Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    It's more than a throwaway line and more than just tradition--issue 31, in particular, was all about Dessa's guilt for the things that she did because they were necessary for the Amazons' survival.
    Any how do u know this was for the amazons survive. With 6 issues do the finches really want to discuss this sex raids? Azz is just a person who couldn't think of any cool story and put generic things like man hating amazons . Being nothing but a cop out. Azz didn't understand Diana and still never will. Dc is planning a Crisis because they have messed up their run. New 52 is nothing more than shock value
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 10-29-2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: creator bashing

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    One minute she's preaching love and forgiveness, the next minute she tells the Minotaur she will show him no mercy for what he did to her sisters
    It's exactly the other way around, and the order of these events is significant. First, angry about the loss of the sisters whom the Minotaur killed, she--understandably, I think--tells him she will show him no mercy; but then he spares her life, having been influenced by the mercy she once showed him, and that reminder brings her back to her core values. And then she preaches love and mercy.

As for the "deception," I'm not sure it is that; i think she reaches out to him instinctively, because that's her nature, but she realizes that the only love she can show him is the "tough love" of the abyss, because he's just too dangerous to leave at large again.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-29-2014 at 05:32 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Like I said, I have given up on the comic a while back, but what you, or Azz, is saying is that the sex pirate raid is tradition. That's it?!? Was there any other follow up on this, or was this just a throwback line or two and not given much thought after?

Throwing a bombshell of a plot like the sex pirate raids seems to me that they should have devoted at least an issue about this explaining the tradition and the ramifications of it. Right now, all the amazons are under a dark cloud of being brutal killers. Doesn't sound like 'perfection' to me.
    If I remember correctly, the reasons are 1000s of years old. Diana questions it by asking if it's just traditions in their time and age. Saying they're strong enough to move past it.

I'v read alot of reader comments about paradise island being perfect since there's no men there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Any how do u know this was for the amazons survive .
    I know Dessa believed she was acting for their survival because she says so.

Capture.jpg

That Diana believes in Dessa's sincerity helps me believe in it too. And when Diana helps her see the error of her ways, Dessa feels so guilty about having done these things that she tries to kill herself; that guilt adds to her credibility as well.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-29-2014 at 06:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

One thing that really puzzled me about this issue. How was it that Athena was born into Zola's body 20 years prior to this yet just 5 years ago, she was seen telling Diana that she supported her and then made Steve Trevor's plane crash?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

It's exactly the other way around, and the order of these events is significant. First, angry about the loss of the sisters whom the Minotaur killed, she--understandably, I think--tells him she will show him no mercy; but then he spares her life, having been influenced by the mercy she once showed him, and that reminder brings her back to her core values. And then she preaches love and mercy.

As for the "deception," I'm not sure it is that; i think she reaches out to him instinctively, because that's her nature, but she realizes that the only love she can show him is the "tough love" of the abyss, because he's just too dangerous to leave at large again.

It came across to me as deception because she gave the First Born the impression that she was accepting his hand in marriage only to then throw him into the pit devoid of love which also makes no sense because if 7 thousand years in the solitary made the First Born this bad, what will more time in solitary do? Real smart thinking Diana.....
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

One thing that really puzzled me about this issue. How was it that Athena was born into Zola's body 20 years prior to this yet just 5 years ago, she was seen telling Diana that she supported her and then made Steve Trevor's plane crash?
    Another good question that should be asked is how Zeus became his own son after impregnating Zola. Or is this just another unexplained god-power and just accept it.

If Diana doesn't like who she is, can she give birth to herself? Because apparently gods can, and since Diana is a demi-goddess, or in this case a full fledged god of war now?

Mighty Member

Now that Azz's run has ended, do all the people that were Azz loyalists and saying to others 'don't worry, all the plot lines will be tied up in the end, I promise, because he did it in 100 bullets', what do you say now?

Did he really tie up all the plotlines, or did he leave more for other teams to follow?
    I don't think anyone who read 100B could say that everything was "tied up". But certainly brought things to (both big and small alike) conclusions. And so was Wonder Woman.

But as I written above, I'd like to know/figure out what the deal was with Hippolyta staying a statue. It's either in the book itself (perhaps then part of Zeus plan), or perhaps something future writers can map out. I'll either stick with the Zeus theory or I'll find out in future issues.

Thing is, they ended their run. They didn't end Wonder Woman. But they left it on a note that easily could go whichever direction with a new creative team while still making it possible to read it on it's own. Perhaps also even somewhat without since Diana still came about thanks to clay (A writer wanting Hippolyta in skin again won't need much tinkering) and "integrating men on the island" is quite easy to sum up in a sentence without digging into the dirt of it. It's all up to the future teams, also the opinions of WW readers.

Was the ending satisfying, or just ho-hum?
    As I'v written before, I really like it.
    Last edited by borntohula; 10-29-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    People don't submit to others because they love them, they do so because they're intimidated, overpowered, or don't want to invest the energy of a conflict. Dominance and submission is about control.
    Words can have different meanings, and the definition of submission that you mention is not how Diana is using that word. We don't have to wonder about this; she explicitly defines submission as "faith in the strength of others," which is more along the lines of Marston's loving submission.

Does she have faith in the strength of the First Born--meaning not just his physical strength, but his ability to become better? I guess, considering all he's done, about the most faith she can have in him is to hope he can learn his lesson in another--which she does.

Or, think of it like this--love requires submission in that you have to have submit to someone (that is, have faith in their strength) in order to begin to love. But, once you've learned that lesson, you can love someone (i/e, nurture someone or have compassion for them) even if they don't deserve your submission/faith. She loves the First Born in the sense that she has compassion for him, even though she has to banish him.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-29-2014 at 05:57 AM.

Another good question that should be asked is how Zeus became his own son after impregnating Zola. Or is this just another unexplained god-power and just accept it.

If Diana doesn't like who she is, can she give birth to herself? Because apparently gods can, and since Diana is a demi-goddess, or in this case a full fledged god of war now?

Good point. There seems to be some major continuity glitches within this story.

Astonishing Member

Was the ending satisfying, or just ho-hum?
    Neither, really. It left me curious and wanting more, so it was less satisfying than provoking--or "stimulating," to borrow a word from Diana in Secret Origins. But it certainly wasn't ho hum; it left me feeling moved.

I guess I'll never understand the assumption that what one god (let alone the king of the gods) can do, all gods can do. Or the need to know the mechanics of the gods' powers. If they're gods, there should be some mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by dr poison
    How was it that Athena was born into Zola's body 20 years prior to this yet just 5 years ago, she was seen telling Diana that she supported her and then made Steve Trevor's plane crash?
    I suppose her true nature must have been able to stir from sleep and manifest outside Zola's body form time to time, almost like she's now able to leave Zola's body behind altogether.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-29-2014 at 06:09 AM.

Mighty Member

Good point. There seems to be some major continuity glitches within this story.
    Why would she need to be reborn? She seems quite content with herself. Nothing like the old war.

BANNED

I guess I'll never understand the assumption that what one god (let alone the king of the gods) can do, all gods can do. Or the need to know the mechanics of the gods' powers. If they're gods, there should be some mystery.
    This is a problem that I had with the Gods early on in this run. Why do full gods like Artemis and Apollo resort to fisticuffs against Wonder Woman when they all should have hazily defined powers and be able to dispatch Wonder Woman via other methods. She is just a demi-goddess and gods like Artemis should have just wiped the floor with her without resorting to brawling. This would include other gods like Hephaestus as well.

So yes, the gods powers should be mysterious and not just a deux ex machina whenever the author needs to pull out something from his azz. But Azz made them have powers that were defined physically like Artemis resorting to fisticuffs.

Still, come on, Zeus impregnating a woman who gives birth to Zeus? One can talk about mysterious powers that the gods have, but this one is out in left field, way way left.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Why would she need to be reborn? She seems quite content with herself. Nothing like the old war.
    If she goes psycho on some company line event or some future ends issue, then she can give birth to herself because she doesn't like who she has become. Kind of like a 'soft reboot', trademark @Azz.

Mighty Member

Still, come on, Zeus impregnating a woman who gives birth to Zeus? One can talk about mysterious powers that the gods have, but this one is out in left field, way way left.
    In one of the myths Zeus gave birth to Athena from his head. Figures he got some skills