Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    If Warner Bros took a different origin approach for Wonder Woman in the up coming movies, I would say you may have something there........
    But they did not and are going with Brian Azzarello's version more so than any of the others Wonder Woman has had over the years.
    Well, we already know the producers weren't really interested in appealing to Wonder Woman's core fans. You can tell by the casting and costume. Azzarello found the key to make her relevant to a wider array of people, so they're going with what pleases the masses. It's all about the almighty dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I kind of feel sorry for people who collected this entire run(and I don't mean that sarcastically) as there was lots of build-up with very little resolution or payoff. I almost wonder if Didio didn't know what to do with Wonder Woman when they were relaunching the New 52 and took Azz's pitch because he knew that Azz was a long-form writer and could buy them some additional time until they figured out what real direction to go with the character and her world.
    Doesn't this assume that your definition of resolution/payoff is the only possible correct version?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    When a story comes to a close, one of the things I have to have in order to have enjoyed it, is closure. I don't need a nice little bow, but I would like to know at least half of all the whys and what fors.

I'm not saying that you'll stay up at night wondering about the untied plot threads of Azzarello's story. I'm just saying that like last week's Secret Origins issue (without a contest, but with several unanswered questions) it was incomplete. And that's gotta suck...at least for me it would. Sorry.
    Is Diana's story actually ending?

I'm very happy with the ending of Azzarello and Chiang's run. I loved how it took a story that is a good bit more grim than I usually like and brought it around to confirming the central values of Wonder Woman's character. And I loved that in the story, Diana would usually demonstrate those values before putting them into words. Azzarello understood the character a lot more than he let on in the beginning.
    Pull: Batgirl, Worlds' Finest, Sensation, Batman '66, MLP

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Is Diana's story actually ending?
    No, Azzarello's is.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    What I would like to know is how many of the Azz readers will stick around for the new creative team. Or were they just here for Azz and then jump ship to the next Azz comic?
    As someone who only picked up the title because of the creative team, this question is not anywhere near as simple as the way you are laying it out.

From my little spot in the grass, the wider "New52" DCU is a complete mess. It's one of the main reasons I love the current run. It keeps Diana out of every "More of the same old comic book song and dance" story lines.

Since the Finches seem intent of heading in that direction, that is already likely to end up with me jumping off board. That said, great runs have started with more going against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    No, Azzarello's is.
    Sure. That said, I would say that this is not a story where the character's story is ending. This sort of story should have an open, unresolved ending.

BANNED

Great ending to a great run.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Doesn't this assume that your definition of resolution/payoff is the only possible correct version?

That depends on how you look at it. It you're looking at it from a purely opinion based context, then yes but if you're looking at the facts that many plot-lines weren't resolved then no.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Facts are usually the enemy of the art I enjoy. I don't see much of a point in ending every single plot line in a title that is not ending.

Even at the end of 100 Bullets, many "Hows/Whys/Whats" were not clearly established. I didn't mind at all. It gives me(as the reader) a chance to have something of the title left once it has ended.

BANNED

As someone who only picked up the title because of the creative team, this question is not anywhere near as simple as the way you are laying it out.

From my little spot in the grass, the wider "New52" DCU is a complete mess. It's one of the main reasons I love the current run. It keeps Diana out of every "More of the same old comic book song and dance" story lines.

Since the Finches seem intent of heading in that direction, that is already likely to end up with me jumping off board. That said, great runs have started with more going against them.
    Actually, the question is pretty simple, and it sounds like you have answered it. You like Azz which I will begrudge no one. Everyone has authors they like to follow. He's leaving, and apparently you will too. No harm in that either. But Azz was supposed to get a new readership and sustain that readership after he leaves, and if enough people who only buy Azz's comics leaves, then the point of him rebooting this franchise for new readers goes down the drain, so to speak.

On the other hand, maybe some of the people that have left the book will come back after Azz is gone. I know he got me to quit at about issue 26 as Wonder Woman and Justice League were the only regular comics I was buying at the time. Yet, I find I don't really miss the comic scene. The state of the DC universe has been going on a decline for me. I think I will go back to the LCS for the '77 Wonder Woman series, but that is about it for me now. I will have to live through the comic scene through TV series and movies for now.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Azz was supposed to get a new readership and sustain that readership after he leaves, and if enough people who only buy Azz's comics leaves, then the point of him rebooting this franchise for new readers goes down the drain, so to speak.
    If the wider DCU is the issue, I would not put the blame on any one writer. Can you explain how this is a writer's fault? If anything, it seems like DC got three years out of me that they otherwise would not have.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    - We don't get any explanation for why the Amazons have the tradition of killing their baby daddys and trading away the sons?
    What exactly is unclear about "They don't like men and they wanted to keep their island male-free AND secret"?

One quick "This will probably go unnoticed" aspect of today's issue. A woman who grew up believing she was born from clay pleading for the life of a "vessel" was particularly touching.