• THOUGHT BUBBLE ANTHOLOGY 2014 #4

0 0%
  • UMBRAL #10

0 0%
  • WAYWARD #3

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Image Comic of the Week Oct 29/14 - Halloween Comicfest, Saga #24, Low #4, Southern Bastards #5

Last Week's Winner

No surprise last week as Lazarus blew away the competition picking up a massive 15 votes. It was a tough week as 11 different Image titles picked up at least vote, a very impressive win. Good to see everyone sampling so many of the different titles that Image has to offer.

Halloween ComicFest at my LCS

I totally forgot it was Halloween ComicFest at my LCS today so I was pleasantly surprised to see so many free comics for me to pick up and try. It was like Free Comic Book Day but without the crowd. So if you had forgotten make sure you hit your shops early before the supplies are gone. I was able to pick up Afterlife Archie #1, Rachel Rising #1, Marvel Secret Wars, Batman Long Halloween and a few others. Walked out of the shop with a giant haul of comics this week.

So Saga is back this week after last month's terrific issue. And while some may think that Saga is losing momentum, Southern Bastards is anything but. It's hotter than ever, including getting a 10/10 rating from the notoriously stingy reviewers at IGN for their shocking issue #4. http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/09/0...-3-2014?page=3. How will Southern Bastards start this new chapter in the series and how will our readers respond? Fun week for Image as Black Science, Low, Savage Dragon, Roche Limit,Sex, Umbral and Wayward are also back. Hot new Image title this week is Alex Grecian and Riley Rossmo's Rasputin.

New This Week

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS
    (W) Alex Grecian (A) Riley Rossmo, Ivan Plascencia (CA) Ryan Stegman
    DRACULA AT DOWNTON ABBEY!
    In one night Rasputin was poisoned, beaten, stabbed, shot in the head, drowned, then tied up and thrown in a frozen river. It was really bad timing. His beard was just coming in nicely.

New York Times bestselling author ALEX GRECIAN and fan favorite artist RILEY ROSSMO reunite for the first time since their critically acclaimed series PROOF!
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 10-29-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Sounds like a nice haul Groo, Rachel Rising is one of my favourite ongoings. Pretty slow-paced but it's kinda like a masterclass in visual storytelling.
    This week is an easy vote for me since I forgot to pre-order the Thought Bubble Anthology, so I'm only getting Saga #24. I'll be veeeeeery surprised if I'll somehow dislike it, so just gonna go ahead and pre-emptively vote for it. Saga's been so ridiculously consistent, I rarely have complaints about it. And it's still 3 bucks every month too!
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

HUGE week for Image. I picked up Southern Bastards and Low.. will read them in a few hours.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I actually didn't review much from Image this week, though I did keep up with the books I usually read from them regardless. Here's how it all looks from best to worst, including the other Indie Books...

Southern Bastards #5
    Sonic Boom #1
    Little Nemo: Return to Dreamland #2 (this book needs to come out quicker so I can keep seeing that the beautiful artwork)
    Saga #24
    Wayward #3

So Southern Bastards was the best while Wayward was the worst (though still too bad ultimately). Saga... was something... *sigh*... stay classy...

Southern Bastards isn't quitting. Another phenomenal issue. Coach Euless Boss. Evil.

All-New Member

I picked up Saga and Low. Low is actually getting better since last issue. As for Saga #24... so you are saying you don't like it? Lying!

will also try Roche Limit later.

I found myself pretty uninvested in the last issue of Saga. Can't really tell you why, specifically. To be honest, not sure if I'll keep picking it up, or drop it, but this arc did very little for me.

Went with LOW. Remender and Tochinni are making it real easy for me to justify why this is my favorite book out right now. Although, this was probably the toughest decision I've had to make in this thread since I started reading Image, because Southern Bastards was awesome.

Incredible Member

Sigh...Black Science...what has happened to you? You used to be good. Now, you are a garbled mess. I am dropping you.

I went with Low. Been enjoying what's going on in the book.

Last issue with Wayward was a bit off for me.

Ruh oh! Saga and Southern Bastards is tied in the poll.

Going with Saga this week, another fun issue. Love Ghus, just too adorable!

Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like every month Image's schedule is unnaturally back-loaded. I think in the first three weeks of the month I buy maybe one Image book a week, then in that last week of the month I have like five. I reviewed them all in their respective threads; I'll rank them with star ratings here.

1. Saga *****
    2. Southern Bastards *****
    3. Wayward ***
    4. Umbral ***
    5. Rasputin **

Saga and Southern Bastards are pretty much the best comics out there. Wayward and Umbral feature lots of things I find appealing, but both have some significant flaws that are holding them back. Rasputin has potential but that was a hella weak first issue content-wise. I only vote for one comic so I voted Saga.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    Sigh...Black Science...what has happened to you? You used to be good. Now, you are a garbled mess. I am dropping you.
    I may be right behind you.

I picked Low. This issue is just too good.

Saga got my vote this week :

• Saga 5/5

• Southern Bastards 4.5/5

• Black Science 4/5

• Low 4/5

• Rasputin 4/5

• Sex 4/5

• The Bunker 4/5