Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Azzarello & Chiang Look Back on Three Years with "Wonder Woman"

Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang discuss highlights from their run, including the boldness of Orion, the ferocity of First Born and the Azz-inspired Ares.

Full article here.

Extraordinary Member

I sincerely look forward to any and all of Brian Azzarello or Cliff Chiang's future work...once Marvel snatches them up! LOL

Just kidding. But in all honesty, DC better keep these two around. It would be a real shame if I had to pay $4 next time I want to marvel at Cliff Chiang's artwork.

I've enjoyed their run.

The upcoming Finch run has me anxious, but I like that it will widen its scope a little to include more of the DCU.
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I sincerely look forward to any and all of Brian Azzarello or Cliff Chiang's future work...once Marvel snatches them up! LOL

Just kidding. But in all honesty, DC better keep these two around. It would be a real shame if I had to pay $4 next time I want to marvel at Cliff Chiang's artwork.
    You could just pick up the Doctor 13 mini. Same creative team/Possibly more brilliant story.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    If Azzarello shows up at Marvel I will drop all of my pulls there too.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

BANNED

http://www.newsarama.com/22580-azzar...man-years.html another interview

http://t.co/syYgEBB181 Q & A with azzarello

it was a great ride, loved it. Iconic run
    Last edited by Blacksun; 10-29-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    If Azzarello shows up at Marvel I will drop all of my pulls there too.
    You are a few years too late.

There's a problem with our theory about Athena being able to transform into herself before... why she would remain "sleeping" when Zola and Zeke's lives were in danger?

@borntohula, maybe you could ask them about the Athena thing? I don't want to bother them too much. But maybe a few days from now...
    Last edited by Vonter Voman; 10-29-2014 at 05:47 PM.

BANNED

Cliff Chianf seems to be a DC guy and a indie guy, I think he will focus more on on indie work now.

I wouldn't mind Azz or chiang at marvel, if DC don't use these guys talents on something else. Chiang seemed like he wanted to do more New Gods...C'mon DC!!

good see that in both newsarama and CBR the praise on Orion portrayal

Quote Originally Posted by Vonter Voman View Post
    There's a problem with our theory about Athena being able to transform into herself before... why she would remain "sleeping" when Zola and Zeke's lives were in danger?
    if she was sleeping how she show up for Diana in secret origins?

or I lost something..

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    http://t.co/syYgEBB181 Q & A with azzarello and cliff chiang tomorrow
    I don't think they will do a Q&A, the tweet was like "a Q&A about the end that is tomorrow", posted yesterday. And the Q&A is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    if she was sleeping how she show up for Diana in secret origins?

or I lost something..
    That's what we are questioning. She says in this issue that she was born Zola about twenty years ago and her true form has been sleeping... so how could she appear to Diana in Secret Origins? Or how she "didn't recognize Apollo as the king", as if she was reachable? Then we came up with the theory that she could transform herself into Athena, but then go back to Zola... but then why would she remain defenseless when threatened?

This is quite weird because Secret Origins was just last week, and Azzarello didn't have to write like she was born Zola about twenty years ago.

BANNED

I don't think they will do a Q&A, the tweet was like "a Q&A about the end that is tomorrow", posted yesterday. And the Q&A is there.
    saw that the interview was done.

spoilers:
    how could athena be present hearing about Diana struggles if she was born in Zola body. it just doesn't match, and it's hard to believe that the creative team + editors would let this pass. For now this is the only plot hole
    WW is 23
    Zola is 20 years old
    athena showed up when WW was with 18 years old.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Blacksun; 10-29-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Great article. I'm really going to miss Brian Azzarello. He did something really special with Wonder Woman. He took the New 52 and used it as a way to develop Wonder Woman in all the right ways. I think he did the right thing by isolating her in the DCU so that she could develop on her own and explore her ties to Themyscira and the Olympians. It has been a great personal journey for her, one that hasn't fallen into many of the same traps that other female comics have done in past years. Her struggle with Zola against the First Born brought out all the right qualities in her. She can be a warrior worthy of being the God of War, but she can also be a woman of unparalleled compassion. Her ability to balance both is part of what makes her such a great character and Brian Azzarello struck that balance perfectly. He has set the bar very high for future writers. And whatever the Finches end up doing, Brian Azzarello's run on Wonder Woman will have a special place in my heart for years to come.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Mighty Member

@borntohula, maybe you could ask them about the Athena thing? I don't want to bother them too much. But maybe a few days from now...
    I read it as if Zola was foremost "vessel" for her to birth Zeke-Zeus in, and then having Diana standing guard. And if things went all south Zeke-Zeus was a back up. I figure she's able to move outside it in the form of an owl/owl-person. Similar to how she's able to leave Zola in WW#35 and fly away as an owl.

With the Athena-transformation-thing, for me it's like Posedion being able to show up as ice monsters and then in "fish" when playing First born. I have no idea how or why, god-stuff just happens

But I'll have a look at it when the buzz died down a bit. I'm sure Chiang could share a hint or two. I'd also like to know if Lennox/Cassandra's fallout was 18 (said WW#15) or 30 years ago (said in WW#20), when he ripped her throat out. If that's perhaps something that needs to be fixed till deluxe books and/or an omnibus hits
    Last edited by borntohula; 10-30-2014 at 03:20 AM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

As far as I'm concerned, this run was probably one of the best in the history of the character. Azz, Chiang and company delivered every single month and crated a masterpiece.

It'll be hard for the Finches to match this one, but I'll give 'em a chance, regardless.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."