Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default In Your Face Jam - Oct 29, 2014

Writer Brett White examines his fondness for Carol Danvers and explains why her feature film does not diminish Black Widow's place in the MCU.

Full article here.

The only thing I don't like about the redesign is the awful helmet and hair. I think she should have kept the eye mask with the new uniform. And I'm torn on the codename Ms. Marvel vs Captain Marvel... Captain Marvel has been used by sooooo many characters it just doesn't feel like she owns it. She owns Ms. Marvel and has a long rather successful history with it. I get that it might seem degrading to need to put a Ms in the title but in my mind its no different than using woman or girl in a codename. It should be empowering, it should be the reason why we want be interested, not the reverse. Even when talking to non comic friends yesterday about the news they were getting confused between Captain America and Captain Marvel. Either way its great news she's getting a movie.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Spectacular Member
    Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Thanks, Brett. I entirely agree with you. Carol would beat Natasha down.....nah I'm just kidding. I am surprised by the no Black Widow movie. I doubt it is due to the character and more to do with ScarJo's schedule and perhaps apprehension on making such a commitment as we know how Marvel is with their contracts.

The more I hear of the stories Carol gets herself into the more I am interested. I love her interactions with Peter, I loved seeing her in '90s X-Men and Avengers: EMH (I just loved her there. I loved seeing her in the Ultimate Universe, though I am several years behind.

If anything, I'd say Marvel nneds more females heroes who can sustain their own series. Because those are the ones that could headline a film. Too often the female heroes are lumped into a team where they serve as support for their team members and not drivers of their own story.

Same goes with DC, but most of their heroes do tend to be able to exist on their own, they just haven't headlined their own series.

BANNED

I think it's more that Captain America and Black Widow are redundant as movies in tone, not that Captain Marvel is also a woman. I get we'll see a BW movie in the next Phase, which gives Johansson plenty of time to deal with motherhood before a solo film.

Also, I never thought of this before, but your article made me realise Captain Marvel and Black Widow should be Marvel's Superman/Batman bromance... why do we never see this? IT WOULD BE AWESOME!

I am so sorry, but the immediate thing I got from this is that Brett checks his phone in movie theaters. Bad Brett! Lol.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    I think it's more that Captain America and Black Widow are redundant as movies in tone, not that Captain Marvel is also a woman. I get we'll see a BW movie in the next Phase, which gives Johansson plenty of time to deal with motherhood before a solo film.
    I'd rather a Black Widow movie be more like a Bond film, with exotic locations, gadgets, lots of costume changes (mind out of the gutter please) and some outrageous disguises. Edmondson and Noto's run gives me that '60s vibe and I'd rather her film emulate that kind of espionage movie than the '70s Robert Redford thriller that Winter Soldier was a love letter to. I'd be upset if it were a prequel set in dingy Cold War Russia.

All-New Member

toooooo much gushing over your love for the character- im absolutely in agreement that carol getting her own flick is awesome, but i couldn't make it to the end to see why you brought up black widow in the title.

maybe next time name an article like this "i love cpt marvel, and used to love buffy"

Why is it that Black Widow and Captain Marvel are the only females people talking about? There are tons more that aren't getting attention...

All-New Member

I'm absolutely stoked there's going to be a Carol movie! And happy she's going to be 'Captain' instead of that nod to outdated feminisim 'Ms.' title. I just really hope her story doesn't revolve around her struggles to date because of her heroic adventures - Reed's run last decade was pretty disappointing in that respect. Please Marvel, let this movie pass the Bechdel Test.

Given the MCU's realism style, the new Cap uniform definitely works better for the movie. Although, I would LOVE to see the bathing suit cameo as an actual bathing suit in the film.. even if just for fanservice

Mild-mannered journalist

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Why is it that Black Widow and Captain Marvel are the only females people talking about? There are tons more that aren't getting attention...
    Because they're the two that either have or will be appearing in MCU films. The only other heroine so far is Sif, who could use a bit more screen time in Thor 3.

BANNED

Scarlet Witch will take the top spot soon,.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Scarlet Witch will take the top spot soon,.
    Only because she will wish the other women out of existence. "No more women."

J/K!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    Only because she will wish the other women out of existence. "No more women."

J/K!
    Ahahaha. lol. Nice one!

But Elektra was the first to have a movie.
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 10-29-2014 at 06:23 PM.

BANNED

I shouldn't forget.

There has been rumors of having a Squirrel Girl movie, so GO GO GO Doreen Green!

[center]/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Yarbrough View Post
    Because they're the two that either have or will be appearing in MCU films. The only other heroine so far is Sif, who could use a bit more screen time in Thor 3.
    Or they can choose Monica Rambeu, Crystal, Medusa, or any of the MANY OTHER FEMALE HEROES OUT THERE! I don't see why people only focus on those two.