Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Is Hal Jordan a reckless bonehead?

Could any crafty villain lure him into a trap? Does he need a personality reboot? What do you think?

(Dang, the slash and burn chased a lot of people away, didn't it? But don't respond to that observation. Keep it about Hal.)

Yeah, I think so. The character is off putting to me partially because he's like a cocky frat boy dudebro douche. He's pretty boneheaded but he's often written to win anyway, not because he's smart, but because... he tries really hard, or something like that. I just find that a lazy way to write a character and it makes for a character that is difficult for me to root for. I think I understand the concept of a hero character like that, but the charm they are supposed to have is utterly lost on me with Hal Jordan, leaving mostly annoying traits.

I actually like that Robert Venditti is writing a story in which trying really hard or just going with your gut isn't always enough to win a battle, and if you don't actually go about doing things intelligently, sometimes you lose or create more problems.
    Last edited by Desh; 05-09-2014 at 03:28 PM.

He can be a "bonehead" when written by a writer who doesn't get the character like Robert Vendetti.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    He can be a "bonehead" when written by a writer who doesn't get the character like Robert Vendetti.
    Geoff Johns tends to write Hal that way as well, though I attribute it to conscious decision on the writer's part. It's been Hal's characterization since his revival as Green Lantern in REBIRTH, almost a decade ago (wow).

It isn't Hal's original Silver/Bronze Age characterization, however. Silver Age Hal was another cookie-cutter superhero of the era...neither more nor less reckless than his peers. Beginning in the Bronze Age, his characterization began to drift towards uncertainty and self-doubt, which culminated at last in his transformation into Parallax and ultimately, the Spectre.

Since Hal's resurrection and restoration as GL, I feel the writers have been overcompensating for Hal's wishy-washy characterization during the 1970s-early 2000s, and in their zeal to restore self-confidence and certitude to the character, have gone too far the other way at times.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Geoff Johns tends to write Hal that way as well, though I attribute it to conscious decision on the writer's part. It's been Hal's characterization since his revival as Green Lantern in REBIRTH, almost a decade ago (wow).
    Johns varies a lot on what extent he's writing Hal as, though. There's a huge difference between the Hal in Rebirth and the Hal in Justice League Origins.

To the OP, no. It's just an overly-simplified way of writing the character. Hal's not a genius like Supes or Bats but he's good at thinking on his feet and relies on his wits rather than planning out elaborate strategies. I mean, come on, they don't let you fly planes if you're a twit.

Hal was a lot smarter pre-New 52. I remember how brainless he seemed in Justice League #1 and thought it was because that was supposed to be a younger version of the character, but he was just as clueless in his own book. He's definitely lost some IQ and maturity since the reboot.

Pre-Crisis Hal designed the flight simulator he was training in when Abin Sur abducted him. I can't imagine later versions of the character doing that.

Isn't that hat makes him AWESOME??? Hal Jordan is a daring man of action who leaps into danger. He uses his superior reflexes, uncanny instincts, utter unpredictability, and knack for improvisation to pull out the win where all others will fail. He's DC's Han Solo. I love that Jordan doesn't always have a plan, that he doesn't hesitate he just acts, and that's he's kinda of screw-up.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think he is at times, but to me that just makes him more endearing. He's got some flaws, which all good characters are supposed to have. All the other Earth Lanterns save Guy have always seemed bland and inoffensive to me, and that's why I could never get into the franchise until Johns and Hal came on board.

I think Vendetti has been overdoing it. You can be a man of action without being an idiot about it, and unfortunately Venditti has been handing Hal the idiot ball a lot in order to stress the whole 'growing into the leadership' thing. I get what he's been trying to do, but I think he went overboard.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

The major problem of Vendetti's take on Hal is that it completely flies in the face of what came before it. In his last issue of his run, Geoff Johns gave Hal an epic moment when he proved that he was not only the greatest Green Lantern, but a very competent hero in the face of dire adversity. The Vendetti Hal seems like a buffoon who just joined the GLC and has no idea how to do anything at all.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    To the OP, no. It's just an overly-simplified way of writing the character. Hal's not a genius like Supes or Bats but he's good at thinking on his feet and relies on his wits rather than planning out elaborate strategies. I mean, come on, they don't let you fly planes if you're a twit.
    Well said. Basically what I was going to say. Even before he was named Leader of the GL. When they went on missions the lanterns would follow his lead.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member

The major problem of Vendetti's take on Hal is that it completely flies in the face of what came before it. In his last issue of his run, Geoff Johns gave Hal an epic moment when he proved that he was not only the greatest Green Lantern, but a very competent hero in the face of dire adversity. The Vendetti Hal seems like a buffoon who just joined the GLC and has no idea how to do anything at all.
    Yeah, this is kind of how I feel as well. Its almost as if Venditti didn't realize that Hal has led the GLC to victory several times before, even before Geoff Johns came along.

Hal has always been a good strategist, who knows how to manage the resources at his disposal. And even Hal at his worst was nothing compared to John and Guy. John got an entire planet blown to smithereens because of his stupidity. Anyone remember this scene?

Oh, god! Who could have ever thought that anyone would exploit my widely publicized weakness against yellow?!?!?!

Plus, as Buried Alien said, there's a big difference between the Hal he wrote in Rebirth and the Hal he wrote in JL: Origins. He was mostly trying to channel the "cocky rookie" persona in his Origins arc.

Spectacular Member

It's kinda ironic when you consider that Venditti said that Hal was his favorite. Yeah... right!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yeah, this is kind of how I feel as well. Its almost as if Venditti didn't realize that Hal has led the GLC to victory several times before, even before Geoff Johns came along.

Hal has always been a good strategist, who knows how to manage the resources at his disposal. Plus, as Buried Alien said, there's a big difference between the Hal he wrote in Rebirth and the Hal he wrote in JL: Origins. He was mostly trying to channel the "cocky rookie" persona in his Origins arc.
    Agreed on this. As I stated in my last post Hal has lead the Lanterns to victory quite a few times. They always follow his lead.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I think that's meant to be part of his background, but not his present. Even Johns didn't write him that way in Rebirth. He's confident, not cocky (at least, that's how he should be). I think New Frontier is pretty generally accepted as THE modern Hal Jordan story, if not THE Hal Jordan story period, and he isn't really like that at all by the end of the book.