Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sensation Comics #12 Spoilers

Diana and Cheetah in a bloody battle! Meanwhile on Themyscira, the Queen celebrates her birthday and we get a nice reference to the Perez origin of the Amazons.

Drew Johnson's artwork certainly has evolved since his run on the title with Rucka. And the colors by Lizzy John are beautiful.

I'm intrigued by this first of two parts from Michael Jelenic.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I loved this!

We got the interaction between Diana and Hippolyta that we've been badly missing for the last few years. And Hippolyta reiterating that the Amazon way is to offer a hand in peace before battle was really refreshing. And I didn't realize how badly I missed Philippus until I saw her here.

Cheetah was competent and vicious, just like I like her. And the artwork was great! Can this please be the new creative team?

What a thrilling issue, I love it so much. This is the compassionate Diana that we all know and love. Seeing Phillipus again was a real treat... and I love her relationship with Hippolyta (the Hippolyta/Diana scene was very cute too). The whole phoenix egg thing reminded me so much of Xena vs. Callisto when Callisto wanted to become immortal (and eventually did), and that's a good thing. Cheetah is amazing in this issue and I'm sure the story as a whole will end up being one of the villain's best. I second SiegePerilous02 that the creative team should be put on the main book, stat!

BANNED

the art is so great wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    really liked the story, this issue is pure gold that was getting dust on DC offices. The apokolips story also promises, the art at least is amazing.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This was great!. Johnson has really amped up his art quality since his last time on Wonder Woman. I HATED Johnson's art on Wonder Woman during Rucka's run but this was really good work this time around. Cheetah really brought the fire in this story. Anyone who thinks she's a joke should read this book. The flashback scenes between Hippolyta and Diana should be a must-read for any writer who writes Wonder Woman going forward.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

How is this the compassionate Diana we all know and love? (She's been featured in Azzrello's run for three years now). We see her being taught compassion, but during her studies she keeps saying she wants to chop off the bad guy's head. And at the end, she buries Cheetah in an avalanche and threatens to skin her.

I think you guys are so anything-but-Azzarello you will see what's not there, and refuse to see what's right there in Azzarello.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    How is this the compassionate Diana we all know and love? (She's been featured in Azzrello's run for three years now). We see her being taught compassion, but during her studies she keeps saying she wants to chop off the bad guy's head. And at the end, she buries Cheetah in an avalanche and threatens to skin her.

I think you guys are so anything-but-Azzarello you will see what's not there, and refuse to see what's right there in Azzarello.

She was a little girl when she asked if it was ok to chop off a bad guy's head. Burying Cheetah in an avalanche is little more than an annoyance for a character as powerful as Cheetah. I honestly don't think this version of Wonder Woman would skin the Cheetah though she might be tempted after just being impaled and slashed by her.

As for Azzarello, there are other writers who I don't care for their take on Wonder Woman but with Azz's Wonder Woman, she seems bi-polar to me. One minute she says she loves everyone and is preaching redemption, the next minute she's throwing a dagger at WAres' throat or using deception so she can throw the First Born back into the pit. The scenes with the love and compassion come across to me as fake or forced when I see her doing the latter things I mentioned.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

You can explain away the compassion in Azzarello all you want, but it's still there for you to have to explain away. Where is it in this story to demonstrate the return of the "compassionate Diana"?

You can explain away the compassion in Azzarello all you want, but it's still there for you to have to explain away. Where is it in this story to demonstrate the return of the "compassionate Diana"?

Well, Diana was clearly taught the lesson of compassion by Hippolyta in this story. Also - there wasn't anyone for Diana to show compassion to in this story(so far) besides the Cheetah who made her entrance by purposely impaling Diana. Azzarello had 37 issues to get Diana straight. Jelenic has only had *1* so far.

Fantastic Member

So, she hasn't had an opportunity to demonstrate her compassion so far in the Jelenic story, and yet it's the return of the compassionate Diana?

Diana has demonstrated compassion over and over and over again in Azzarello, but it's meaningless because we weren't show her being taught it?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Her being eager to fight as a child is nothing to get bent out of shape over. Clearly, she has a lot to learn at that stage of her life.

And her lessons were well learned. She offers Cheetah the chance to stop the fight before it starts. And the whole " I will take it out of your hide" comment is just a figure of speech, just like saying she will stand over the First Born's dead body if he threatens Zola and Zeke.

Cheetah's durable enough to survive that avalanche (if Diana is, she is as well, I don't care what anyone says) and their fight isn't even over yet. These pages were posted on Drew Johnson's deviantArt page, and Cheetah's not out by a long shot.

So, she hasn't had an opportunity to demonstrate her compassion so far in the Jelenic story, and yet it's the return of the compassionate Diana?

Diana has demonstrated compassion over and over and over again in Azzarello, but it's meaningless because we weren't show her being taught it?

For the record, I never said this story was the "return of the compassionate Diana" but I don't see anything contradicting that statement so far.

As for Azz's Wonder Woman, it's not that we didn't see her be taught compassion. For me, the problem lies with the other things Azz has shown her do like the throw the dagger at WAres' throat, use deception so she can throw the First Born back into the pit, call Strife a b_tch twice, crush Orion's junk, punch Aleka, impale Strife with the liquor glass, etc.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 10-30-2014 at 06:27 PM.

BANNED

Hipollyta and Phillipus are so married in this story!! Phillipus do everything she can to impress her.
    also the amazons are beautiful, and the penciller did a great job making them sensual withot cheesecake

Spectacular Member teardropmina's Avatar

wonderful! great action between WW and Cheetah, and the learning of peaceful solution strategy.

Where did I say that Azzarello's version wasn't compassionate? I didn't reference his run at any point in my post.