Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did OMAC (nu52) purposely end on #8? (Forever people?)

Didn't realize that the original OMAC ended on issue 8. So did the new 52. Was this on purpose?

Also, should we expect the forever people to be short lived too?

Is this just a kirby appreciation throw back books?

Spectacular Member Tula's boyfriend's Avatar

I actually think that many of the lower tier books are being launched with the idea that they are not to last very long. To tell the stories they can and go on. Look how perfect giving Vibe and Katana was for JLA. They has books that fleshed out their charactere/stories while JLA was probably meant to be cancelled from the beginning with the planning of Forever Evil.

Always Rakzo

I think at one point Giffen and Didio mentioned that they had planned a lot of issues of OMAC when it initially started, is just that the sales were abysmal and they had to cancel it.

Shame since it was one of the best books from the beginning of the New 52. If you want Infinity Man and the Forever People to last longer you will need to vote with your dollar.

Yeah, Tradewaiting, while understandable, will kill Infinity Man and the Forever People pretty quickly
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post
    Didn't realize that the original OMAC ended on issue 8. So did the new 52. Was this on purpose?
    Nop
    It wasnt, it was pure sales, Omac was the worst sold #1 out of the new 52
    Didio actually planned the series to end at issue 16

Also, should we expect the forever people to be short lived too?
    probably yes

Is this just a kirby appreciation throw back books?
    that, and also to keep the rights of the property

DC needs to keep on publishing a book which said title and/or characters on it every so many years or they lose the right to publish it.

DC recently lost rights over Icon from Milestone, for example.

Spectacular Member

Didio planned 16 issues of OMAC, but unfortunately it was a no name character, with a no name writer, and a no name artist, so even thought it was a great series that managed to climb the relative sales charts after its release, it succumbed to low sales and had to be canceled.
    My philosophy is buy a book and love it as long as it is around. Even if it gets canceled early, you will always have your back issues.

Metal Woman

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    Didio planned 16 issues of OMAC, but unfortunately it was a no name character, with a no name writer, and a no name artist, so even thought it was a great series that managed to climb the relative sales charts after its release, it succumbed to low sales and had to be canceled.
    My philosophy is buy a book and love it as long as it is around. Even if it gets canceled early, you will always have your back issues.

Metal Woman
    I think Didio's name hurt the book.

OMAC no name ? From pre-Infinite Crisis and Maxwell Lord ?

And Keith Giffen ? I think he's pretty well known.

There was so much stuff to try with a near complete reset was the biggest problem.

I'm not sure some understand trade waiting on lesser known or experimental titles don't help when the title needs it asap.
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

Metal Woman
    Keith Giffen is hardly a no name.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    I think Didio's name hurt the book.

OMAC no name ? From pre-Infinite Crisis and Maxwell Lord ?

And Keith Giffen ? I think he's pretty well known.

There was so much stuff to try with a near complete reset was the biggest problem.

I'm not sure some understand trade waiting on lesser known or experimental titles don't help when the title needs it asap.
    The vast majority of comic book readers are casual fans. Outside of top tier characters, like Superman and Spiderman, and top tier creators like Jim Lee or Grant Morrison, they have no clue who anyone is. You would be surprised how many comic book readers never even bother to look at who is writing or drawing the books they read. So even though the fans who post on this board know who OMAC, Didio, and Giffen are, to most of the people who buy comics books they are no names.

Metal Woman

Amazing Member

The vast majority of comic book readers are casual fans. Outside of top tier characters, like Superman and Spiderman, and top tier creators like Jim Lee or Grant Morrison, they have no clue who anyone is. You would be surprised how many comic book readers never even bother to look at who is writing or drawing the books they read. So even though the fans who post on this board know who OMAC, Didio, and Giffen are, to most of the people who buy comics books they are no names.

Metal Woman
    Yeah as a newer and more casual reader I can agree with this. To me Max Lord is still kind of just "that guy wonder woman killed". And OMAC was just "that mohawk guy" until i bothered to wiki him after seein' him in Suicide Squad. I also rarely bother to look at who is writing or drawing unless I really really like the style :P. And even then I forget their names pretty often.

I do like the New Gods stuff though and I will be "voting with my dollar" when it comes to Forever People :P

Didio has admitted that some of the series coming out are to save the trademark (ie GI Combat, Men of War, Star Spangled War Stories, etc)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    Yeah, Tradewaiting, while understandable, will kill Infinity Man and the Forever People pretty quickly
    If true, then that's on DC, not on the trade waiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    How do you figure that? They're not running an orphanage for unloved books, these titles need to earn their keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    that, and also to keep the rights of the property

DC needs to keep on publishing a book which said title and/or characters on it every so many years or they lose the right to publish it.

DC recently lost rights over Icon from Milestone, for example.
    That's only for the titles of books, not over the characters. You may have meant that, so I'm just clarifying.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    How in the world is it DCs fault that they cancel a VERY low selling book after 8 issues? They can't predict that the "trade waiters" will actually buy the trade, or that there are even enough of them for those sales to matter. If you are interested in this clear-fringe title, yet dont buy the floppy to instead wait for the trade, those loss of sales will certainly effect the no-doubt soon cancellation of the book.