Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

The other lead role currently being cast is that of 26-year-old*Alexandra "Alex" Danvers, Kara's gorgeous, brilliant, science-minded foster sister. Growing up, Alex was partly jealous of her sibling yet also fascinated by her abilities, prompting Alex to learn as much as she could about alien anthropology, sociology and culture. Today, Alex works for a secret government organization and, alongside her heroic sis, will face many challenges, both mundane*and*super.
    That description doesn't sound like a gender-bent proto-Luthor at all...

And they couldn't even be bothered to change the given name to be less obvious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    Actually, it's all classic silver age Kara Zor-El. I'm not seeing anything that's reminiscent of the PAD version of Supergirl, except the name Danvers, which Kara was using 35 years before the PAD version debuted.
    I prefer Linda Lee, but yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    It would be like Clark Kent and Kal-El. Kal Kent would be stupid, LOL. Sure, Supergirl's indentities aren't as well known as Superman's, but the different names would be fairly easy to explain.
    Kara Danvers just sounds too much like Carol Danvers.
    Yup. The suspension of disbelief for the Super characters keeping their identities secret is hard enough as it is; there's absolutely no need to make it even less believable just because Viewers are Morons.
    (I'm getting enough deliberate dumbing down from Game of Thrones to last me a lifetime.)

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Kal/Cal is a nickname for Kalvin/Calvin. Even if that weren't the case, any word can be a name. It doesn't have to have been used for centuries to make it a true name.
    I decidedly do not consider the ridiculous abominations vapid celebrities come up with for their children true names.

Alexander (not)Luthor Jr AlexG.'s Avatar
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground (My house)

Quote Originally Posted by NateDizzy View Post
    I hope the show gets a decent budget for special effects.
    Me too. Supergirl's powers really need a decent budget to be rendered properly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlexG. View Post
    Me too. Supergirl's powers really need a decent budget to be rendered properly.
    Smallville was able to do it, so I'm sure CBS can.

Fantastic Member Supergirl's Pal's Avatar

The older step sister is an interesting twist.
    I like what I am reading about the show so far.

All-New Member

Molly Quinn has to be in this series. Preferably as Supergirl.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Smallville was able to do it, so I'm sure CBS can.
    Not always. Remember the Doomsday/Clark fight?

Speaking of Clark, does Superman exist in the show's universe?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    The difference is that the name Kara has been used for centuries, whereas Kal isn't used as a name at all.
    Actually I do know someone who named their son Kal (yes..and it's not short for anything...they just gave him the first name of Kal)...so can't really say not used at all.

Retired

Well, back in the day, when Marvel came up with Carol Danvers, I was irked that they brazenly used the name of Supergirl's secret identity.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a Kal Kent by now.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm surprised that there hasn't been a Kal Kent by now.
    There is in the Batman Beyond comics. Superman decides to start up a human life again and get out of the fortress but since Clark would be older than he looks (and Lois has died) he goes by Kal Kent.

A quick Google search also reveals that in DC 1,000,000 by Grant Morrison, Superman has a descendant named Kal Kent.

So is this the next series in the Arrow/Flash-verse or what?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    So is this the next series in the Arrow/Flash-verse or what?
    No word yet on whether it is or not, but there's a chance it could be. http://dctvuniverse.com/2014/09/supe...c-possability/

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    Not always. Remember the Doomsday/Clark fight?

Speaking of Clark, does Superman exist in the show's universe?
    To be fair, Smallvilles budget was a lot smaller than what it used to be at that point. Just look at what they've managed to do on Flash, i'm sure the Supergirl series will look fantastic.

As for Superman, i don't want them to ignore the topic of whether or not he exists. They could have Kara reference her baby cousin who died when Krypton exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderLad View Post
    No word yet on whether it is or not, but there's a chance it could be. http://dctvuniverse.com/2014/09/supe...c-possability/

To be fair, Smallvilles budget was a lot smaller than what it used to be at that point. Just look at what they've managed to do on Flash, i'm sure the Supergirl series will look fantastic.

As for Superman, i don't want them to ignore the topic of whether or not he exists. They could have Kara reference her baby cousin who died when Krypton exploded.
    Most interesting, thanks for sharing.

DC is dominating superhero TV, while Marvel made a great head start with movies.

BANNED

I like Supergirl but I wish DC would have chosen to give a different character more exposure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I like Supergirl but I wish DC would have chosen to give a different character more exposure.
    But Supergirl isn't just a female superman. Shes a character in her own right and I think she's overdued for some mainstream exposure.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    As this show is going to be on CBS, I'm guessing there won't be a strong connection to ARROW and THE FLASH on the CW. However, if some of the same minds are behind it, I imagine we won't just see characters from the Superman and Supergirl supporting casts--we will likely see characters from all over the DC universe. And in that way a lot of DC characters will get more exposure on television.