Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The First Wonder Woman Movie To Be Set In The 1920s, And Its Sequel During World War II

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/...-world-war-ii/

We know there’s a Wonder Woman movie coming in 2017. We know it will star Gal Gadot in the lead, and she also appears in Batman Vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice.

But as of this date, we presumed it would be set in the modern day. Well, why wouldn’t we?

It’s not. I have been informed by those who have seen the greenlit treatment that the film will spends the first half on Paradise Island with warring Amazon factions vying for control.

An arrival of a man on the island changes that status quo, as he asks the Amazons for help. Not necessarily Steve Trevor either…

Because when Wonder Woman joins him on his return to the world of Man, we all discover that it is the 1920s. And the film will then show Diana exploring that world – a world where women have only just got the vote – from her… unique perspective.

A planned sequel would then take place during World War II in the thirties and forties. This of course was the period that the seventies TV show began in, before shifting to the then-modern day.

And a threequel would then take place in the modern day, with the Justice League Of America.

So. Not the Wonder Woman we were expecting. But the period-set Captain America; The First Avenger didn’t do too badly, did it?
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

This is soooooo promising, man! I always wanted a period piece for WW, even as a kid I wished they'd stayed in the 1940s on the Carter show. Also, on another comic forum I'd posted last week how I'd freakin' love to see this new version of WW somehow battling Nazis, even if it's liberating a Jewish concentration camp (what a career moment that'd be for Gal!). Anyway, everyone (except the studio, it seems) shot down my idea. LOL!
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Interesting twist. I'm torn on their decision not to use Steve as the guy who crashes on Paradise Island but then again, with Diana starting out in the 1920s, that gives them a chance to have her dating him once they get around to the modern day. I really hope they use a couple of her Nazi/Axis villains in the sequel such as Baroness Paula Von Gunther, Baron Blitzkreig, Red Panzer, Armageddon, Gudra the Valkyrie, Kung, Sumo, and Dr. Poison.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

1920 on the first movie? why? Not liking this idea so much.

it should start on WW 2 and then go to the present times.
    Warner bought a wonder woman script in WW2 some years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    1920 on the first movie? why? Not liking this idea so much.

it should start on WW 2 and then go to the present times.
    Warner bought a wonder woman script in WW2 some years ago...
    1920s? No, this is a terrible idea. I get WWII, makes sense for Wonder Woman but the 1920s seems so random? Why not the 1910s or the 1950s then? I can't see a 1920s superhero movie working out. If true, this is a risky gamble that I would hope WB does not take. Why would WB do this? I don't get it.

Astonishing Member

Cool. Maybe the Holliday Girls will be flappers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Interesting twist. I'm torn on their decision not to use Steve as the guy who crashes on Paradise Island ...
    It doesn't say the guy in the 20s crashes; only that he arrives and asks for help. Maybe he actually sought out the Amazons. And that would leave the possibility that Diana goes home at the end of the movie and Steve Trevor crashes there in WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014
    I ammend my comments, they want to use the suffrage movement in WW's origin.
    The 20s would be a little late for that; universal suffrage was adopted nationally in 1920.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane
    this is the most perplexing aspect of this rumor. Jonathan Kent seemed pretty clear that no one spectacular had ever caused a paradigm shift in humanity's view of the extraordinary and Wonder Woman certainly didn't seem to help when Zod threatened the world, so her absence is odd.
    The Amazons might have wanted to stay secret, and Diana might have avoided the limelight, acting as a secret weapon rather than a public hero. Maybe a solider who witnesses one of her adventure creates a comic book about her and she becomes a feminist icon, but everyone thinks she's just fictional. And if she went home sometime after WWII, she might not have learned about Zod in time to help.

All this is assuming, just for the sake of argument, that the rumor is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    It doesn't say the guy in the 20s crashes; only that he arrives and asks for help. Maybe he actually sought out the Amazons. And that would leave the possibility that Diana goes home at the end of the movie and Steve Trevor crashes there in WWII.
    How would this mystery man know of the Amazons and their home well enough to seek them out?

The Amazons might have wanted to stay secret, and Diana might have avoided the limelight, acting as a secret weapon rather than a public hero. Maybe a solider who witnesses one of her adventure creates a comic book about her and she becomes a feminist icon, but everyone thinks she's just fictional. And if she went home sometime after WWII, she might not have learned about Zod in time to help.
    Wonder Woman debuting as a hero wouldn't necessarily mean the exposure of the entire Amazon society and their home, and since when was Wonder Woman the type to hide in the shadows?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    How would this mystery man know of the Amazons and their home well enough to seek them out?
    We'd have to see, but sometimes "mystery men" know secret things. Maybe he's an ace archaeologist who found a secret scroll. Maybe he's a cultural anthropologists who heard stories about the Amazons while visiting Greek islands, became convinced they were real, and pieced together enough information to find them. Maybe he's an initiate in ancient Greek mysteries that have secretly survived into the twentieth century, and he has communicated with gods. Maybe his ancestor discovered them accidentally, and the story was passed down through the ages. Maybe he's Lindbergh and he saw them out the window of his plane.

Wonder Woman debuting as a hero wouldn't necessarily mean the exposure of the entire Amazon society and their home, and since when was Wonder Woman the type to hide in the shadows?
    It wouldn't necessarily, and she's not, but if the Amazons are secretive enough to have remained hidden into the 20th century, it doesn't seem that implausible for Hippolyta to order Diana to stay out of the spotlight.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-30-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Wonder Woman's problem some always asserts is she does not have one solid universal origin like BM and SM. This 20ties thing without Steve/contest/leaving island for the first time...yeah this isn't going to help with the confusion. Her daughter of Zeus in the new 52 still incorporated that aspect which really should not change imo. It's been the norm no matter the versions.

I don't understand the reason for starting in the 1920s, seems random, but if all this is true then obviously some writer or creative team had one helluva pitch to Warner. I do like Diana arriving in man's world in a time when--with all our growing knowledge--we should've been more enlightened as a society and already treating women equally. And yet women barely had the right to vote even in the "land of the free." I don't want to be preached to but I do want WW's feminist core values to somehow be expressed in these movies.

Also, by making the first two WW movies period pieces, that'll differentiate her from the other solo films from DC. That's a def strength.

Last, it's very plausible WW was at full power back then and doing superheroics but stayed an urban legend because nobody had mobile phones to record her. If someone had told me during the 20s or 40s they'd seen a woman hurling a tank, I wouldn't have believed them.

One mo thing. WW being the first superhero in this verse...how cool is that???
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

At first hearing the rumor I was against this idea but the more I think about it the more I like it. Wonder Woman helping to lead the charge of Women's Sufferage? Pretty brilliant. This means it's not the 1920s but the actual year 1920 when Women Sufferage became a nation law. Add some battles with Greek mythological monsters and this could be fanstaic.
    If they can actually get Katheryn Bigalow to direct that would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    At first hearing the rumor I was against this idea but the more I think about it the more I like it. Wonder Woman helping to lead the charge of Women's Sufferage? Pretty brilliant. This means it's not the 1920s but the actual year 1920 when Women Sufferage became a nation law. Add some battles with Greek mythological monsters and this could be fanstaic.
    If they can actually get Katheryn Bigalow to direct that would be even better.
    Help lead the charge? If she was a leader, then wouldn't history remember her? I guess as someone who's studied the period and just recently watched the fantastic documentary from Ken Burns called Not For Ourselves Alone which chronicles the immense sacrifices and hard work that women, particularly Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony, dedicated to the fight for equal rights and respect, I actually don't want it insinuated that Diana contributed in any significant way to that movement's success. It was a victory that came as a result of extensive cross country campaigning, countless published books and articles, public speeches that garnered media attention, etc. I don't mind Diana being impressed with these women, but I'm not wholly comfortable with the idea of inserting Diana into real history. At least Steve Rogers was a contemporary and was drawn to the WWII cause naturally as a young man of the era. He didn't have tremendous privilege and his contribution to the war effort ultimately focused on more supernatural aspects.
    Last edited by misslane; 10-30-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Spectacular Member

To be fair this is from bleeding cool. If this was a stand alone franchise then I could buy them doing something like this but it doesn't really work when connected to Man of Steel, and Dawn of Justice. I could see them maybe setting the first movie during WWII, but I doubt it. They'd have to establish how she somehow became an more of an urban legend rather then the world actually knowing she exists, and explain why she left, and didn't rejoin society again till modern time. It could be an interesting way establish her as a "Rosie the Riveter" figure in the universe and reaffirm her feminists roots.

In YJ she was WW2 but went back to Paradise Island returning home. Than modern day she go outside world.

Is this confirmed or still just a rumor?