Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Lots of other sites (comicbook.com for one) are reporting the same thing (but I think they're all derived from the Bleeding Cool report).

So,

WONDER WOMAN (2017) will be set in the 1920s

WONDER WOMAN 2 (2020?) will be set in the 1940s

WONDER WOMAN 3 (202X) will be set in the 2020s (at that point current day)

All the while the same actress will appear as Wonder Woman in BATMAN V SUPERMAN (2016), JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017) and JUSTICE LEAGUE 2 (2019?), which will be set in the 2010s?

This sounds like WW gets partially introduced in BvS in the present day, then her solo movie career is mostly a prequel series set in the early-mid 20th century? Oi vey ...

On principle, I tend to strongly dislike prequels (feel they are in general inferior movies to standalones or franchise-starters), and I feel WW deserves something less ... preordained ... for a story conceit.

Oh well, maybe more future details will contradict some of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    1920 on the first movie? why? Not liking this idea so much.

it should start on WW 2 and then go to the present times.
    Warner bought a wonder woman script in WW2 some years ago...
    1920s? No, this is a terrible idea. I get WWII, makes sense for Wonder Woman but the 1920s seems so random? Why not the 1910s or the 1950s then? I can't see a 1920s superhero movie working out. If true, this is a risky gamble that I would hope WB does not take. Why would WB do this? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    On principle, I tend to strongly dislike prequels (feel they are in general inferior movies to standalones or franchise-starters), and I feel WW deserves something less ... preordained ... for a story conceit.
    I don't have strong feelings about prequels. I've liked some and disliked others, so it all depends on execution. What I can't conceive is what exactly Wonder Woman's movies would be about if at least two of them are prequels. Given the lack of humanity's awareness of her and her heroic deeds (at least going by humanity's portrayal in Man of Steel), Wonder Woman wouldn't have gotten their attention at all. That means that Wonder Woman's feats in her solo films would have to be restricted to stealthy, real world activities or to battles and triumphs limited to Paradise Island or other "magical realms."

I can buy that Batman's activities were of a shadowy, urban legend variety, and not something to arouse humanity's awe in terms of the extraordinary or alien; thus his being in a later stage of his career in Dawn of Justice is largely credible. Wonder Woman is just too extraordinary and too rooted in not hiding one's gifts for me to buy into her existence in Man's World without impacting it in very observable and meaningful ways.

Right now, these rumors sound like a cross between Thor (stories can take place in Asgard) and Captain America (a period piece element).

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/...-world-war-ii/

We know there’s a Wonder Woman movie coming in 2017. We know it will star Gal Gadot in the lead, and she also appears in Batman Vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice.

But as of this date, we presumed it would be set in the modern day. Well, why wouldn’t we?

It’s not. I have been informed by those who have seen the greenlit treatment that the film will spends the first half on Paradise Island with warring Amazon factions vying for control.

An arrival of a man on the island changes that status quo, as he asks the Amazons for help. Not necessarily Steve Trevor either…

Because when Wonder Woman joins him on his return to the world of Man, we all discover that it is the 1920s. And the film will then show Diana exploring that world – a world where women have only just got the vote – from her… unique perspective.

A planned sequel would then take place during World War II in the thirties and forties. This of course was the period that the seventies TV show began in, before shifting to the then-modern day.

And a threequel would then take place in the modern day, with the Justice League Of America.

So. Not the Wonder Woman we were expecting. But the period-set Captain America; The First Avenger didn’t do too badly, did it?

What's worrisome is the 20s are not the 40s. WWII is still a popular setting for entertainment, the 20s has less of a following. Historically WW is rooted in WWII in the same way that Steve rogers is. I just don't get why the 20s?, what's the appeal of the 20s to the WB people? Are they gong for the Gatsby audience?

sounds cool to me
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

MMmm... It's just a rumor...

I don't think Wonder Woman will join the world before the events of MoS. And I don't think WB is planning 2 sequels for WW.

I ammend my comments, they want to use the suffrage movement in WW's origin. A litte too preachy for my taste but its a plan I guess. I still would rather see her in WWII (like Cap A) in her first movie then move her on to the modern day afterwards. If this movie bombs we may not get to see both a modern day WW solo movie, or a WWII-set one. I wish they would plan this WW movie as if this is their only shot to make a wonder woman movie and make the most of the opportunity.

Spectacular Member teardropmina's Avatar

Very unlikely. Wonder Woman is part of DC cinematic universe now. I don't think WB would risk to confuse general audience with various timelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    MMmm... It's just a rumor...

I don't think Wonder Woman will join the world before the events of MoS. And I don't think WB is planning 2 sequels for WW.
    That would be rather presumptuous. I still expect WW solo to be Wondy clashing against greek monsters and mythological gods. Especially since there never seems to be any real interest in her rogues gallery.

BANNED

well for me doesn't make sense make 2 movies set on the past.
    first movie on WW2 fine for me. but one on 1920 and another in WW2 is too much. maybe it is a mistake, and 1920 and WW2 is on the same movie.

It worked for Captain America, so it could work here if done well. A trilogy with each film progressing further in time sounds like an interesting idea, and one wouldn't have to wait for that modern day version because we'd get that in Justice League beforehand.

This sounds like when they trying to be smarter than the source material. Nothing wrong with the WW2 her maybe coming out and having no choice to go back etc. It is a superhero movie and it has its source material and if they stick to the Amazons, we know she is Zeus' daughter, Steve/Diana meeting, contest...(will there be a contest?) and then her leaving to help the world...they will more than be able to deliver her message without being too preachy. I don't see the point of changing it to the 20ties...it changes her whole origin story which to me is not the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It worked for Captain America, so it could work here if done well. A trilogy with each film progressing further in time sounds like an interesting idea, and one wouldn't have to wait for that modern day version because we'd get that in Justice League beforehand.
    Steve Rogers has a valid and sound reason why he was not around. What's Diana reason leaving both times and absence during MOS? Plus people knew of Steve and celebrated him.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    What's worrisome is the 20s are not the 40s. WWII is still a popular setting for entertainment, the 20s has less of a following. Historically WW is rooted in WWII in the same way that Steve rogers is. I just don't get why the 20s?, what's the appeal of the 20s to the WB people? Are they gong for the Gatsby audience?
    The Twenties are a fascinating period, but I feel that the preceding battle for suffrage would be a more interesting setting than the aftermath. It's strange to introduce Wonder Woman into any real/historical wartime eras, like World War II, because the fact that she's far more powerful than Captain America creates additional complications. It's difficult to believe that someone as powerful as Wonder Woman, unless for some odd reason her powers are muted early on, could be around during World War II and not intervene more dramatically and noticeably. I suppose there could be conflict about whether it's right to intervene in humanity's affairs, and she could be used as a stealth secret weapon. However, as both a figure of peace and diplomacy as well as a powerful warrior, it seems like a very restrictive environment to place a Wonder Woman story in.

Astonishing Member

Cool. Maybe the Holliday Girls will be flappers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Interesting twist. I'm torn on their decision not to use Steve as the guy who crashes on Paradise Island ...
    It doesn't say the guy in the 20s crashes; only that he arrives and asks for help. Maybe he actually sought out the Amazons. And that would leave the possibility that Diana goes home at the end of the movie and Steve Trevor crashes there in WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014
    I ammend my comments, they want to use the suffrage movement in WW's origin.
    The 20s would be a little late for that; universal suffrage was adopted nationally in 1920.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane
    this is the most perplexing aspect of this rumor. Jonathan Kent seemed pretty clear that no one spectacular had ever caused a paradigm shift in humanity's view of the extraordinary and Wonder Woman certainly didn't seem to help when Zod threatened the world, so her absence is odd.
    The Amazons might have wanted to stay secret, and Diana might have avoided the limelight, acting as a secret weapon rather than a public hero. Maybe a solider who witnesses one of her adventure creates a comic book about her and she becomes a feminist icon, but everyone thinks she's just fictional. And if she went home sometime after WWII, she might not have learned about Zod in time to help.

All this is assuming, just for the sake of argument, that the rumor is true.