Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Pick the 1920's so Wonder Woman has more to work with when she starts preaching feminism.

Oh joy.
    It amazes me that being 'preachy' is a potential problem after the reception of movies like the Nolan Trilogy and the X-Men films.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I'm more interested to see WW deal with feminists problems now than in 1920. Deal with 1920 feminist problems seems a great way to scape from the actual problems.

WW2 is overused, Warner had a script done years before captain america was done that had WW in WW2. But there is action and the most decisive moment from the last century.

I would prefer WW2 just a prologue of the first movie
    There was only one superhero movie set in WW2 while a billion have been set in modern times. Be honest if this turns out to be true it will be a lot more unique than the countless that have been set in modern times. Besides it could lead to JSA if they play their cards right.

As for feminist issues it's pretty much unavoidable for that to be addressed in a series set in turning periods for women in America like the 1920's and WW2 were. Meanwhile a character like Superman who was created to deal with societal issues completely ignored any of it in MoS which had a modern time setting. So if anything you would be more likely to have feminist issues tackled in a 1920's or 1940's movie than a 2014 superhero movie.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out what established link between the 1920s and Wonder Woman already existed in the comics?

The 1940s makes sense on a number of different levels for Wonder Woman, but the 1920s? Is it just because of the women's suffrage movement?

And the idea that not one, but TWO solo Wonder Woman movies are going to be prequels (blecch) to BATMAN V SUPERMAN/JUSTICE LEAGUE just isn't sitting right with me.

I could understand if the first Wonder Woman story took place in Ancient Greece with the Greek pantheon at the peak of the powers and then transition to present day at the end of the same movie (a la CAPTAIN AMERICA - FIRST AVENGER), but spending 4 frickin' hours of 2 separate solo Wonder Woman movies in the past?

Seems a dramatic waste of potential. Hopefully this is just misinformation.
    Exactly.

I'd like to see something like the Captain movies, but the other way around. That means first a modern movie, then a period piece. It would be unique enough.

It wouldn't need to be Hippolyta as WW in the past. Could be Diana herself, going back on time to do something. Then the thing about her being some kind of legend of the time would make a lot more sense, since she would appear briefly at that time. And if "dealing with the suffragist movement" must exist, then it could be done as well.
    Last edited by Vonter Voman; 10-31-2014 at 09:51 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    There was only one superhero movie set in WW2 while a billion have been set in modern times. Be honest if this turns out to be true it will be a lot more unique than the countless that have been set in modern times. Besides it could lead to JSA if they play their cards right.

As for feminist issues it's pretty much unavoidable for that to be addressed in a series set in turning periods for women in America like the 1920's and WW2 were. Meanwhile a character like Superman who was created to deal with societal issues completely ignored any of it in MoS which had a modern time setting. So if anything you would be more likely to have feminist issues tackled in a 1920's or 1940's movie than a 2014 superhero movie.
    both 1920 and 2014 has feminist problems. Pretend 2014 is perfect for women is a big lie.

A JSA like the one done on smallville could be great. heroes that were forgotten/erased by the government.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    both 1920 and 2014 has feminist problems. Pretend 2014 is perfect for women is a big lie.

A JSA like the one done on smallville could be great. heroes that were forgotten/erased by the government.
    Not saying it is but the 1920's had all of the problems for women today and then some.
    Last edited by The World; 10-31-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vonter Voman View Post

I'd like to see something like the Captain movies, but the other way around. That means first a modern movie, then a period piece. It would be unique enough.
    Changing the order doesn't make it unique.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Not saying it is but the 1920's had all of the problems for women today and then some.
    sure, but for me is more important adress our societies problems than something that happened on 1920. the feminist fight is far away of being won

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by spark627 View Post
    Not a fan of this. It also doesn't make any sense in the world created by Man of Steel. I am not buying this until it is confirmed by the studio.
    Why exactly? Why wouldn't it make sense? We lack any kind of context beyond "she might have been active during the 20's" so I'm not seeing how you could possibly tell that it "wouldn't make sense" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    So people want them to go with WWII, one of the most overused time-periods in fiction, instead of a less-used and in many ways more intriguing timeline? Ok, what was it that fans say about studios always sticking to the same old stuff. Setting it during WWII would be one of the most obvious and cliché things that they could do. Try a different time period if you're going to do a period piece. Plus, WWII in a superhero movie was just done not too long ago with Captain America, so it'd be even more overused.
    This. This. This. A hundred times over.
    I'm sick to do death of WWII in films. It can be enjoyable, of course, but it would be interesting to see another era.

As for her not appearing in MOS, did anyone ever consider the possibility that she simply didn't have time? The entire series of events from when Zod first makes his arrival known till when he's killed takes place over like a day, a day and a half at most. And for most of that time, Zod made it seem like he just wanted Superman retuned to him. His actually attack was a surprise and it only lasted a few hours at most. We don't know where WW was at the time or what she was doing, so it's not at all unreasonable that she simply couldn't get there in time.
    Or maybe she was subdued by Circe or some other villain of hers; lady's got a life too. xD

A reason as to why no one has mentioned her: she used some kind of magic mumbo-jumbo to erase her existence from the minds of everyone. You may see a picture of her dating back to the 20s, 30s etc. but no one could really match a face to the name. A bit of a cop out, but tis the easiest one to pull.

This is all assuming that the rumor isn't actually a rumor, but the real deal. I'd be eager to see it happen, but I doubt it severely. The word 'feminist' makes a lot of people (mostly guys) feel uncomfortable. While that word will probably be found in a WW film of any time period, be it the 20s or modern day, it'll probably be mentioned a lot more during that first wave; and thrown in with other words like 'suffrage' and a few more terms that escape me right now.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    I don't like it. The 1920's isn't that popular of an era when it comes to period pieces unlike WW2. And I don't like the first haft being a power struggle between the Amazons. The first 20 mins okay, but an hour to an hour and a haft? No.
    I doubt it'll be an hour-and-a-half of fighting amongst Amazons. But I'd love the first half to feature Themyscira. I get chills to think of PI explored in a way that gets moviegoers very familiar with the beautiful, mystical, scary aspects of island, plus Amazon history, religious practices and culture. All steeped in ancient Greek tradition and mythos. Hopefully they show how the Amazons came to be, their daily/nightly life, warrior training (Ares secretly training a young Diana?) and Amazons guarding a great evil followed by palace intrigue, seeds of an Amazon military coup. Then a man arrives, with some Amazons wanting to execute him and Diana wanting to save him, which leads to all out war among vying Amazon factions. No idea if it'll play out this way but my point is Themyscira landscape and architecture and culture and politics and spirituality could be fascinating to see.

I also don't think Diana will be involved in leading women's suffrage movement. She'll just travel to man's world around the time women finally get right to vote and observe the unfair sexist world around her. I'm sure she'll speak out and take appropriate action whenever possible, yet I don't see her attending feminist political meetings or holding signs at protest events. But yeah, nice contrast to an island nation where women rule vs the wide world where women are second class citizens.
    Last edited by Top Carnivore; 10-31-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

I heard an inference that the man from the 20's is William Marston, who later writes about her as a fictional character.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I heard an inference that the man from the 20's is William Marston, who later writes about her as a fictional character.
    Oh this could be brilliant. Reminds me of how Interview With The Vampire was an actual book in Anne Rice's vampire chronicles, written by the reporter that interviewed Lestat.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Extraordinary Member

Honestly, I will believe this when I see photos Gal Gadot walking around in costume on the set of Boardwalk Empire.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    It amazes me that being 'preachy' is a potential problem after the reception of movies like the Nolan Trilogy and the X-Men films.
    Preaching is no problem for members of the choir.

I've already had my fill of how feminism views my demographic.

I don't know if this is the "thread to talk about the solo movie", but Rich Johnston claims only male directors have been approached by Warner, contrary to the rumors of them "seeking female directors".

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/...en-the-chance/