Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you consume trades/collected editions?

I work nights. I hover over Amazon's solicits months in advance and search for deals and so forth.

This is how I shop for my trades.

How do you consume your trades? Via comic shops? Comic fairies?
    Last edited by arosenbarger; 10-23-2014 at 08:16 PM.
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

Fantastic Member

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking? Do you how do we shop for or trades/where do we buy from?

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking? Do you how do we shop for or trades/where do we buy from?

Exactly what I was asking. I altered my original post to reflect.
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

Fantastic Member

For new trades I shop on and buy from the Cheap Graphic Novels website. Huge discounts, great packing and shipping. They also have a great "coming soon" section that list the Trade solicitations going out about 3 months in advance. In Stock Trades is another good site offering big discounts and quality shipping, and they usually have some good sales going on.
    I avoid Amazon. For being the worlds largest mail order company they have a horrible grasp on how to ship collectible books. I do search ebay and have gotten some great deals, and been burned.

I've bought all of my trades and HCs at either Barnes and Noble or my LCS. I've started really trying to avoid B&N as much as possible because I'd much rather give my money to my LCS and support a local small business, but I also don't mind giving the money to B&N too much because I still want a physical bookstore, dammit.

I have thought about looking online to find some older stuff, though. I'll have to check out some of the sites suggested here!
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Not exactly sure what you mean by consume still.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Incredible Member

I normally order through Amazon, or hit the conventions and go to my LCS because they tend to have discounts on all trades, I don't buy from Barnes & Noble since they have the stupid practice of inserting a plastic sticker tab thingy inside their books.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I usually consume my trades with a fork and a little ketchup. Nothing better than a nice fried trade.

Kidding aside: I usually get my stuff from Amazon or Cheap-comics.com
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I usually consume my trades with a fork and a little ketchup. Nothing better than a nice fried trade.
    Mix a few drops of sriracha in with that ketchup. It brings out the taste of the ink.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

I live in Europe.
    I purchase my Comic Collections form 3 sources:
    1. Amazon.co.uk
    2. Amazon.co.uk Marketplace sellers
    3. Cheap-comics.com

I used to buy most form 1 & 2, but have switched to almost exclusively number 3. I could probably find a better deal in number 2 if I took my time, but with cheap-comics I get better packaging and they have the books before Amazon (most of the time). Buying more than 3 books at a time I also get cheaper shipping costs.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Amazon and eBay. Occasionally Waterstones.

I'd love to buy from Forbidden Planet more, but they're too expensive.

Extraordinary Member

I check solits, pencil in the dates and if I can, I'll buy them. For example, October is/was a big month as there are around 6-8 TPBS I want, but I'm finishing what I have first.

I mostly use Amazon.

I get them either from my LCS, though they are getting a little bit expensive.. so I'm mostly ordering from either cheap-comics.com or archonia.com (for a website mainly focused around manga they have a lot of us comics).
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Incredible Member

Amazon, though I must try IST/CGN now that some of their shipping prices can equal/better Amazon every now and then. I went to my local comic shop after quite some time a few weeks ago, and as much as I'd like to continue supporting the stores, it just made me feel all the better about sticking with Amazon. The prices in the shop are 50-70% above US cover price on everything.

No way, man.

Amazing Member

I look through Amazon listings and solicitations. I'll save them in my wish list on Amazon, make a note of when they come out, and track it in a spreadsheet. When the time comes I'll either buy from Amazon or InStockTrades, depending on who has the better deal. Side note: I won't necessarily spend $50 for the free shipping since I've noticed that orders where I pay for shipping are noticeably faster. Then, there are other times where I'll be in a store browsing books and come across something I like. If I'm interested, I'll buy it. I find it unethical to go straight home and order it.

Now, when it comes to reading them, I have a pretty strict "two at a time" rule. If I'm progressing through a large book, I'm gonna get tired of reading it at some point and will need to switch to something else. I recently blew through all six Starman Omnibuses in two weeks using this method. I recommend everyone have more than one thing to read at all times. It's just better for the soul.