Page 12 of 436 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    It doesn't address that problem at all. Tim WAS still Batman's sidekick for a while in between Jason's death and Bruce's own death.
    But the major difference is that Bruce didn't shove another kid into Dick's old uniform and call him Robin. A kid named Tim Drake created his own identity inspired by the legacy of the Robins and trained as Batman's sidekick for a year before going off on his own adventures.

That alone is Tim's character. The real problem is that Tim has been in nothing but bad stories since the New 52 started.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post
    But the major difference is that Bruce didn't shove another kid into Dick's old uniform and call him Robin. A kid named Tim Drake created his own identity inspired by the legacy of the Robins and trained as Batman's sidekick for a year before going off on his own adventures.

That alone is Tim's character. The real problem is that Tim has been in nothing but bad stories since the New 52 started.
    True, and the "Always Red" Robin retcon is part of one of them. It's hard to separate the two. Or for that matter, the terrible costume.

Moreover, Tim was Robin for almost as long as Barbara was Oracle, and I mean only like a year's difference here. 20 years. The double-edged sword of trying to have Tim "stand on his own" is that his retconned history with Bruce is entirely undeveloped. So the good moments come when we see glimpses of his classic character survive - which pretty much only happens when like, he turns up in Batman Eternal or Batman and Robin - basically when he turns up to support Bruce. Actually, you don't hear much complaining about his appearances in Batman, Incorporated, where lousy costume or not, Morrison just ran wild with the Four Robins taking center stage in the Leviathan war.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Plus its hard to take the whole "his own identity" seriously when he just put the word "Red" in front of Robin.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Plus its hard to take the whole "his own identity" seriously when he just put the word "Red" in front of Robin.
    I keep thinking that if you wanted to actually make "Red Robin" as a non-promotion code name, Tim a "stands on his own feet" guy, and the implication that he did so out of respect for Jason, and heck, even the somewhat weirdly underdeveloped history between. Tim and Jason work, you need to do something like this:

Jason, now having been born in a time where the Internet is a thing, builds his own support network of hackers and informers, just like Bruce did in Dini's run (and a way you could throw in an Oracle like background for Barbara) and one of them is Tim. Tim helps Jason investigate his mother's return, and becomes aware of Jason's death via that manner, and that builds into his discovery of Bruce's hobby. Then he gives himself the Red Robin name to honor Jason. Then you throw in some actual background for the character where you can see Jason fight Tim during his return to Gotham, and Tim's fights with Damian, both of which can be redefined through this history here.

Otherwise, it does come off as a stupid decision. Again, I'll argue that removing him from the official succession of Robin does do some minor damage to his character. It does cost him some pride of place and does make it hard(er) to identify him to outsiders.

"Who is Tim Drake?"

"Third Robin."

"Oh. Cool"/"There's more than one!?!?"

-----
    "Who's Tim Drake?"

"Batman's sidekick between Robins II and III."

"Sooo, he's like a back-up intern?"/"Wait, go back. There's more than one Robin!?!?"

BANNED

I think Tim should move out of the Robin personna altogether, like Dick and Jason did. He's outgrown it, he doesn't need it, he should become his own MAN.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I think Tim should move out of the Robin personna altogether, like Dick and Jason did. He's outgrown it, he doesn't need it, he should become his own MAN.
    I don't know if he outgrew the role but I do know that being 'sorta' Robin is really making Tim feel less relevant as a character.

I remember reading a suggestion once that Tim become the new Oracle but that would continue his place as a legacy character for better or worse. I do think that continuing to emphasise his intellectual prowess would help define the character.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    I don't know if he outgrew the role but I do know that being 'sorta' Robin is really making Tim feel less relevant as a character.

I remember reading a suggestion once that Tim become the new Oracle but that would continue his place as a legacy character for better or worse. I do think that continuing to emphasise his intellectual prowess would help define the character.
    I'd be totally cool with Joker shooting him through the spine and making a quadraplegic out of him; he'd be totally qualified to be the new Oracle.

Extraordinary Member

Tim's too physical of a character to be the new Oracle. It would be a damn waste, really.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Tim's too physical of a character to be the new Oracle. It would be a damn waste, really.
    Barbara was quite a physical character, too (the "dominoed dare-doll"), and she became a far better character as Oracle.

Extraordinary Member

Barbara was quite a physical character, too (the "dominoed dare-doll"), and she became a far better character as Oracle.
    Tim and Babs are not interchangeable, though. They're entirely different characters altogether and to treat them similarly would be a disservice to them both.

BANNED

Tim and Babs are not interchangeable, though. They're entirely different characters altogether and to treat them similarly would be a disservice to them both.
    Barb was a paraplegic, still had the use of her arms. Making Tim a quadriplegic would make even more of a challenge for him. Not the same thing.

I'd be totally cool with Joker shooting him through the spine and making a quadriplegic out of him; he'd be totally qualified to be the new Oracle.
    What?

No way.

BANNED

I wouldn`t mind someone doing that to the Joker so he stays in limbo for awhile.

Forever.

Extraordinary Member

Barb was a paraplegic, still had the use of her arms. Making Tim a quadriplegic would make even more of a challenge for him. Not the same thing.
    That doesn't make it better. Like I said, Tim's way too physically active of a character to be the new Oracle no matter how you try and justify it.

BANNED

That doesn't make it better. Like I said, Tim's way too physically active of a character to be the new Oracle no matter how you try and justify it.
    That would make it even more poignant. "Dramatic" as the pros say. Then he could spend all his time with his Reed Richards brain.