Page 362 of 436 FirstFirst ... 262312352358359360361362363364365366372412 ... LastLast
Results 5,416 to 5,430 of 6532

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    It seems to be a viable option that makes him look less like Doctor Mid-Nite.
    That's pretty much how I feel about it

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I mean, it's fair if you have different levels of tolerance, but when I googled the poison, I didn't find anything similar, so it really felt like exactly the same kind of arbitrary plot device.

(I know, I know, I'm like the only person who dislikes FabNic on Tim.)
    You aren't.

It gets bonus points for being right after Yost's run and being the last run before the abomination that was N52, but I agree that FabNic drifted too far into prepgod territory.

He absolutely nailed Tim/Damian though, gotta give him props for that.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    You aren't.

It gets bonus points for being right after Yost's run and being the last run before the abomination that was N52, but I agree that FabNic drifted too far into prepgod territory.

He absolutely nailed Tim/Damian though, gotta give him props for that.
    Whew! Most people really seem to love FabNic on Red Robin because Tim gets to accomplish solid feats - which I am in favor of - but the feats are a bit too slapdash in construction. But I'm glad I'm not alone in finding his stuff much less satisfying.

There are a lot of fun character relationships he got right, I think - I do like the scene where Bruce hugs Tim after he comes back - that was solid. And I thought he did a solid Cass in the penultimate issue (#25). So there were definitely lots of solid things about his half of Red Robin - but too much arbitrary plot construction, and too much "All the bad girls want Tim" fanficcyness.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Whew! Most people really seem to love FabNic on Red Robin because Tim gets to accomplish solid feats - which I am in favor of - but the feats are a bit too slapdash in construction. But I'm glad I'm not alone in finding his stuff much less satisfying.

There are a lot of fun character relationships he got right, I think - I do like the scene where Bruce hugs Tim after he comes back - that was solid. And I thought he did a solid Cass in the penultimate issue (#25). So there were definitely lots of solid things about his half of Red Robin - but too much arbitrary plot construction, and too much "All the bad girls want Tim" fanficcyness.
    He was trying to pay respect to the whole "girls like him but he's comically awkward" bit, which I appreciated, but I agree the execution wasn't stellar. Which is really the entirety of FabNic's run, aside from the character dynamics. Solid intent, less solid execution.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

The only character that had the 'bad girls want Tim' thing was Lynx III wasn't it? And that one did have some level of build up though now that you mention it was it in line with how the New 52 Superman and Wonder Woman relationship was built? All flash no substance? If you are referring to Ra's al Ghul's sister that doesn't mean a thing since it was essentially rape and those things don't mean anything in terms of love.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Extraordinary Member

I think the Daughter if Acheron trying to rape Tim is probably the nadir of the "the ladies love Red Robin" aspect of the book, since while he didn't have to beat her off with a stick, he had to call someone in to do it for him.

I like Lynx III in opart because I'm enamored with the idea of Tim's variation on the Catwoman-archetype being someone with an ambiguous backstory as an undercover cop; that's got just the right amount of mystery and complications to make it feel like it fits Tim perfectly.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

The only character that had the 'bad girls want Tim' thing was Lynx III wasn't it? And that one did have some level of build up though now that you mention it was it in line with how the New 52 Superman and Wonder Woman relationship was built? All flash no substance? If you are referring to Ra's al Ghul's sister that doesn't mean a thing since it was essentially rape and those things don't mean anything in terms of love.
    It still felt way too much like a dude writing a teen boy fantasty rather than solid storytelling and character development.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think the Daughter if Acheron trying to rape Tim is probably the nadir of the "the ladies love Red Robin" aspect of the book, since while he didn't have to beat her off with a stick, he had to call someone in to do it for him.

I like Lynx III in opart because I'm enamored with the idea of Tim's variation on the Catwoman-archetype being someone with an ambiguous backstory as an undercover cop; that's got just the right amount of mystery and complications to make it feel like it fits Tim perfectly.
    I like the idea of a Catwoman analogue, but I'm not a fan of the way it continues to push Tim towards dark preptime god. (Plus, as a TimSteph shipper, I'm always not super happy with non-Steph love interests. ).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

It still felt way too much like a dude writing a teen boy fantasy rather than solid storytelling and character development.
    Well I certainly did not see it that way considering the only bad girl who actually liked Tim was Lynx III.

I like the idea of a Catwoman analogue, but I'm not a fan of the way it continues to push Tim towards dark preptime god. (Plus, as a TimSteph shipper, I'm always not super happy with non-Steph love interests. ).
    I was sort of rooting for Lynx III or Tamara Fox as I read Red Robin but nonetheless i was baffled by how Stephanie still did not want Tim back even thought there was a great deal of proof that she wanted him back. It certainly would have saved a lot of trouble as she was chasing after that policeman who into Barbara Gordon. And I'm sure if the writer thought things more thoroughly Lynx III would not be one fo the signs that Tim was becoming a 'prep time god' as you put.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-27-2018 at 01:00 AM.

I wonder where that would have ended up going, with Lynx being undercover and all.

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    I wonder where that would have ended up going, with Lynx being undercover and all.
    It could go two ways with her really was an undercover teen operative she could have to choose between serving her higher ups interests or Tim. Or she could be playing Tim and he finds out all their good will is gone.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-27-2018 at 01:21 PM.

It could go two ways with her really was an undercover teen operative she could have to choose between serving her higher ups interests or Tim. Or she could be playing Tim and he finds out all their good will is gone.
    Either way it would have been interesting none the less.

Extraordinary Member

Back on DC's own boards, when FabNic actually ran a thread where you could ask him questions, I got a little over giddy and presumed that Lynx being the cop was arguably no better for Tim since she would be given a submission fo uncovering who he is, and that she was poking her finger under his mask during their first kiss to try and unmask him.

I got told no.

Personally, I kind of hope that of she ever shows up again, they go for the most ambiguous status they can for her, like Tim finds out she was a Hong Kong recruit gone deep under cover, but that there's rumors of her going native, but then there's evidence that the rumor is part of a *deeper* cover op, but then she may be a double agent for her gangland employers, but then it turns out HKPD wants her to take over the Golden Dragons so they can control them, but then her handler and mentor is killed in a suspicious manner, and ad Infinatum.

Just make her the perfect riddle wrapped in a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a skintight cat-themed outfit taut drives Tim crazy with the possibilities and implications.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Back on DC's own boards, when FabNic actually ran a thread where you could ask him questions, I got a little over giddy and presumed that Lynx being the cop was arguably no better for Tim since she would be given a submission fo uncovering who he is, and that she was poking her finger under his mask during their first kiss to try and unmask him.

I got told no.

Personally, I kind of hope that of she ever shows up again, they go for the most ambiguous status they can for her, like Tim finds out she was a Hong Kong recruit gone deep under cover, but that there's rumors of her going native, but then there's evidence that the rumor is part of a *deeper* cover op, but then she may be a double agent for her gangland employers, but then it turns out HKPD wants her to take over the Golden Dragons so they can control them, but then her handler and mentor is killed in a suspicious manner, and ad Infinatum.

Just make her the perfect riddle wrapped in a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a skintight cat-themed outfit taut drives Tim crazy with the possibilities and implications.
    They said no to what exactly? For Lynx III to show up again would require for there to be some focus on Tim preferably in a solo comic ah the dream. Still your description has a great deal of merit and I would kill for DC to make that story happen I just might try to make it happen in my own DC Universe that I'm making.

Extraordinary Member

To the idea she was removing his mask to see who he was. I was jumping on that train of thought probably a bit too much.

To the idea she was removing his mask to see who he was. I was jumping on that train of thought probably a bit too much.
    I didn't even see the moment they kissed a sign that Lynx III was trying to remove Tim's mask discreetly. It still makes you think about what could have been if Red Robin remained around. It would have been something interesting. Especially when based on the writers confirmation she has no malice towards Tim
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-27-2018 at 10:56 PM.