Page 385 of 436 FirstFirst ... 285335375381382383384385386387388389395435 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,775 of 6532

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    It can lead to improvements for sure but it can also over shadow the character. Tim's getting close to that. We spend so long debating his hero name. It comes up when anyone tries to discuss the character.

I believe the whole thing surrounding the RR name would have died down significantly if not for the fact that we fans keep talking about it.

Tim's name is fine it didn't stop the similarly named solo from being a good book did it? The name is just fine.
    Honestly i didn't see people mocking his name until around 2014, before that people seemed to be ok with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Tim has a nuanced and layered personality that is informed by his experiences. He has very simple motivations though, to him it mostly comes down to doing the right thing.

Tim isnt arrogant. He is just cocky.
    The difference is that an arrogant person believes he is superior to the rest, a cocky person merely has self confidence and isnt afraid to show it.

If Tims inventions were any less impressive youd be able to buy them in wallmart. Smart buildings are already a reality.

Thats the thing tho, Tim is a lot less capable now that when he was Robin (like seriously, his robin feats were amazing. He is getting crap for being able to hack in kryptonian, when its not that far fetched for someone that managed to hack metallo in a few seconds while trying not to die). Its just that the author is more concerned with showing the character off than with telling a story, therefore its more noticeable. Tynion is guilty of this with every character he writes tho, Batman, Batwoman, Orphan, Spoiler, Azrael. They all got these incredibly badass perfect moments.
    People on this forum just seem to be hung up about Tim, i hang out in other places and they dont seem particularly bothered by either the character or how its writen.

While circumstances did contribute to make the character unique, i believe what separated him from the other characters was his level-headedness and maturity. And going forward his cunning, edge and cockyness were a very interesting direction to move him towards.

To be honest i dont even think they know what they want for the character.
    Tynion is a declared Tim fanboy and he recieve more attention than the others, so people that don't like him or just aren't that interested on him feel annoyed by his strong presence on the book, specially Batman fans that feel that he is been used as a prop for the other characthers. Doesn't help that the whole Mr Oz thing didn't pay off at the end.
    Last edited by TheCape; 05-04-2018 at 08:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Tynion is a declared Tim fanboy and he recieve more attention than the others, so people that don't like him or just aren't that interested on him feel annoyed by his strong presence on the book, specially Batman fans that feel that he is been.used as a prop for the other characthers. Doesn't help that the whole Mr Oz thing didn't pay off at the end.
    The worf effect has been real with Batman. But its fine to use him as a prop. Wouldnt say its been for other characters tho (every other character has, at some point, been used as a prop as well). Its been to amp the threats to make a team necessary in the first place. Without this what would be the point of a team book? to have a bunch of assistants?
    The batman of the 90s needed a Robin, he also often needed a Nightwing, he needed an Oracle.
    Also i believe theres a second reason, they have been trying to humanize Bruce, show his weakness, this is good, he is a human, he should make mistakes, he should be overwhelmed. And Tynion has made him look far more intelligent on Detective than King has on Batman.

The worf effect has been real with Batman. But its fine to use him as a prop. Wouldnt say its been for other characters tho (every other character has, at some point, been used as a prop as well). Its been to amp the threats to make a team necessary in the first place. Without this what would be the point of a team book? to have a bunch of assistants?
    The batman of the 90s needed a Robin, he also often needed a Nightwing, he needed an Oracle.
    Also i believe theres a second reason, they have been trying to humanize Bruce, show his weakness, this is good, he is a human, he should make mistakes, he should be overwhelmed. And Tynion has made him look far more intelligent on Detective than King has on Batman.
    Many people don't like the idea of Batman being jobbed for the sake of his soldiers or playing the archetypal "father" role of the team or the batfamily criticize him for his actions because is kind of an overused cliche for many and that they are sucking from his popularity. Others just don't like the idea of sharing Tec with other sidekicks when this is usually a Batman book. I don't neceseraly agreed with all then,.but i can understand their point

As for inteligence, i don't know, i haven't seen anything impressive in that regard beetween Tynion and King's run,

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Many people don't like the idea of Batman being jobbed
    How will a story ever have any kind of tension if the threat isnt real. I dont think its for the sake of "his soldiers", just for the sake of the story as a whole. Azrael gets destroyed at the start to present an unknown threat. Batman Gets overwhelmed to raise the stakes but at the same time it shows us that batman probably planned it all along, showing us how smart, prepared and devoted to the cause he really is. I dont think anyone in this forum picked up on this, they probably complained when batman got beaten but never praised Tynion once it got resolved.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

How will a story ever have any kind of tension if the threat isnt real. I dont think its for the sake of "his soldiers", just for the sake of the story as a whole. Azrael gets destroyed at the start to present an unknown threat. Batman Gets overwhelmed to raise the stakes but at the same time it shows us that batman probably planned it all along, showing us how smart, prepared and devoted to the cause he really is. I dont think anyone in this forum picked up on this, they probably complained when batman got beaten but never praised Tynion once it got resolved.
    I have been! I love Tynion's Bruce!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I have been! I love Tynion's Bruce!
    Seconded. Just because he's flawed doesn't mean he's incompetent or any less cool.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    That's a pretty good pic.

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    Nice - who did it?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I know this isn't the place, but what the heck happened to Steph's thread??

Also Miller, that fic you recommended...gosh - I died with the discussion between Tim and Steph in the last chapter

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlvinDraper View Post
    There were a bunch of spam threads earlier. Did the admins accidentally delete Steph's along with them?

Yeesh, hopefully that thread can be restored in full.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by AlvinDraper View Post

Also Miller, that fic you recommended...gosh - I died with the discussion between Tim and Steph in the last chapter
    Seems to be back?

I love a great Tim in fic. Sensitive, nerdy, kind, but with elements of cockiness and enthusiasm.

Astonishing Member

What would be a good new name for Tim?

Anyone? anyone?