Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Lightbulb

Carol Danvers officially Marvel's Kara Danvers!

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Well, her trailer is out her movie is coming. Has anybodies opinion's changed??
    Nope.

If she's who Marvel wants to push that's fine. I would've preferred Marvel pushing multiple female heroes the same way and seeing who fans respond to the best, but it is what it is.

I just hope that they push other female heroes too as a lot of them deserve it.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Carol Danvers is Carol Danvers that all she needs to be Marvel doesn't really have a Trinity like DC and all this kind of stuff do is divide people when they should be celebrating another Marvel Movie and Carol getting her first film.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Nope.

If she's who Marvel wants to push that's fine. I would've preferred Marvel pushing multiple female heroes the same way and seeing who fans respond to the best, but it is what it is.

I just hope that they push other female heroes too as a lot of them deserve it.
    Like kate bishop, Storm, Firestar and Monica Rambeau.

I don't understand why people think Marvel has or needs a "Wonder Woman".
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

BANNED

"To promote feminism" which usually is an answer i get from some fans who didn't read marvel comics but they watch MCU ....but still that makes them proud

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

For the longest time, Marvel didn't have a flagship female character the way DC comics did with Wonder Woman.Through the nineties it seemed Storm was the closet thing marvel had. With Carol getting a movie all her own, do you consider her to be 616's leading lady??

P.S. Could someone put question marks in thread title?
    Most likely because Carol got her solo movie first (in the public non-comic ready movie-watching-only eye), and she has powers. Otherwise it woulda been Scarjo Widow if she had gotten a solo movie sooner. Oddly enough, if it was a Scarjo movie, I wouldn't have considered it 'Marvel's big Girl-Power SJW movie' or whatever, I woulda just considered it a good movie.

I also wonder if it's a coincidence that they chose Larson to be Carol due to her body not quite filling up the costume if you know what I mean. Scarjo's bod might scare feminists since most can never look like that in tight black leather.
    Last edited by MarkRodriguez09; 09-27-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    I highly doubt that Carol will ever be Marvel's wonder-woman. The reason why is because with DC, Wonder-Woman's notoriety is unparalleled. She was the first, she was the strongest, she gets to play with the big boys, she has no competition. With Carol Danvers, and the marvel universe in general, the playing field is level, not to mention that Carol will always be a legacy hero.
    I don't really agree. Most people know Superman but when was the character last relevant in the mainstream? Batman leapfrogged over him in terms of relevancy decades ago followed by Spider-Man and to an entire generation of young people know and care more about the major players of the MCU than Superman who is at best seen a bland corporate icon and at worst a very poorly handled character.

Wonder Woman's previous notoriety for being original female super hero and star of a popular show decades ago likewise meant little until she had the big (and more importantly good) Hollywood movie to back it up. It's one of the few times that DC has beaten Marvel to the punch and that alone could well insure her status the top female hero in the wider consciousness but don't underestimate the potential for Marvel doing this. Deserved or not the MCU is seen as the gold standard for comic book superhero movies and them finally doing a woman super hero will turn many heads in itself.

Also the wider public don't know Carol is a legacy character. Heck, even in the comic crowd she's a legacy character of a character barely anyone cares about anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    Oddly enough, if it was a Scarjo movie, I wouldn't have considered it 'Marvel's big Girl-Power SJW movie' or whatever, I woulda just considered it a good movie.

I also wonder if it's a coincidence that they chose Larson to be Carol due to her body not quite filling up the costume if you know what I mean. Scarjo's bod might scare feminists since most can never look like that in tight black leather.
    Oh those pesky feminists and SJWs. While a Black Widow movie is long overdue I don't think it would have the same impact since we'd seen her in starring role in so many male led movies. Marvel's first female superhero movie had to be an original and one that has some kind of feminist theme behind it.

I'm sure Brie Larsen's body type was a consideration but is that a bad thing? Gal Gadot and Scarlett Johannsen's body types work well for the characters they play but we don't expect every male character to fill out their costumes in the same way. You wouldn't get say Henry Caville to play Spider-Man, post spider bite Peter Parker should be buff but not that buff. I also don't see a problem with showing that likewise not all female heroes have to be built like Greek goddesses, that's fine for some characters but not others.
    Last edited by Orbus; 09-27-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Most likely because Carol got her solo movie first (in the public non-comic ready movie-watching-only eye), and she has powers. Otherwise it woulda been Scarjo Widow if she had gotten a solo movie sooner. Oddly enough, if it was a Scarjo movie, I wouldn't have considered it 'Marvel's big Girl-Power SJW movie' or whatever, I woulda just considered it a good movie.

Or maybe they chose her because she's a talented Oscar-winner actress??? Nah, gotta be about her body, of course that's the #1 priority whenever it comes to women. And they're still doing a Black Widow movie anyway. So they're clearly not afraid of "scaring feminists" LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I don't really agree. Most people know Superman but when was the character last relevant in the mainstream? Batman leapfrogged over him in terms of relevancy decades ago followed by Spider-Man and to an entire generation of young people know and care more about the major players of the MCU than Superman who is at best seen a bland corporate icon and at worst a very poorly handled character.
    I dunno. I think Superman is such an icon as far as the mythology of Superheroes and comics are concerned that he's relevant even when he's not at the lead of popular culture or zeitgeist in the way other heroes are, if sometimes subconsciously or inconspicuously.

When there are versions of Superman that people actually like people still generally latch onto him, even if he hasn't had the benefit of that treatment in a major motion picture as some Marvel heroes have.

And elements of his mythos or Superman himself are usually a part of popular DC works, so while he doesn't get quite the amount of attention or love as Batman, he's still an ever-present and important part of the DCU.
    Wonder Woman's previous notoriety for being original female super hero and star of a popular show decades ago likewise meant little until she had the big (and more importantly good) Hollywood movie to back it up. It's one of the few times that DC has beaten Marvel to the punch and that alone could well insure her status the top female hero in the wider consciousness but don't underestimate the potential for Marvel doing this. Deserved or not the MCU is seen as the gold standard for comic book superhero movies and them finally doing a woman super hero will turn many heads in itself.
    Well, they've done a few women Superheroes but this will be the first female Superhero solo film by Marvel Studios (which is what I think you were going for).

I expect Carol's movie will probably end up being a pretty good or solid solo MCU film but I don't expect it's going to be the kind of popular culture hit that Black Panther was. But you never know.

Fantastic Member

No. Wonder Woman was more well developed than Carol Danvers. Carol Danvers had a series of books that had short runs so for years she's just been going through the motions. I'm not sure if the movie will change this or not, but until they get a signature writer or someone who cares about the character to make her well rounded and multidimensional like Wonder Woman, these kinds of discussions will continue.

Invincible Member

I seriously doubt that's an issue for anyone.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Well, her trailer is out her movie is coming. Has anybodies opinion's changed??
    A movie ticket here is $60 so it better be good.

Carol might as well be the WW analog. So merchandise the heck out of her and promote the movie to a high degree. Then keep up the momentum with featuring her in comics throughout the year and not just random mini series and one shots. Also posters!! lots of posters..

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    With Carol Danvers, and the marvel universe in general, the playing field is level, not to mention that Carol will always be a legacy hero.
    That specific aspect is irrelevant if we're talking Captain Marvel in a broad sense and not just within the comics. Your average person on the street likely has no familiarity with any iteration of Captain Marvel, whether it be Mar-Vell, Monica, Genis, Carol or any of the others who have used the name, so that's not gonna be a concern to them.

This discussion was bandied about a lot back when it was first announced that Scott Lang would be the subject of the Ant-Man movie instead of Hank Pym, and a lot of comic purists insisted the movie would not work and audiences wouldn't accept it because Scott is not the "iconic" Ant-Man. And sure enough the movie ended up being a hit anyway, because when we're talking about a character as relatively obscure as Ant-Man or Captain Marvel, which iteration is more "iconic" doesn't really matter.