Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    You may want to expand on your thesis because from where I'm sitting there are no varying degrees of iconism.

You either are or you're not.
    You could argue Catwoman is more iconic that Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Let's replace the world "iconic" with "star power". I.e. celebrity status.

Who has more star power?

Batman or Superman --- Batman

Spider-Man or Captain America --- Spider-Man

Wolverine or Gambit --- Wolverine

You get the picture.

Now who has more star power?

Wonder Woman or Carol Danvers? Not a trick question. It's Wonder Woman. She's a bigger celebrity, more people know her and she's been in more media and maintained a prominent spot at the front of DC for decades. While Carol has only recently gotten big since 2012 when she was appointed as Captain Marvel. Hell, Carol's current popularity can be attributed to the 2006 revamp of her character. That's what rejuvenated interest in her.

So in terms of star power, WW wins, but in terms of being the woman that seems to be the face of Marvel nowadays. Carol does seem to fit the bill. Only because TPTB are pushing/putting her everywhere now. She's their new best friend.

Before Carol though, I'd say Storm was the closest thing to WW, Marvel had. Endearing character, exists across multiple X-Men and Avengers continuities, exist in multiple media (4 cartoon series and 4 live action movies), and who could forget this crossover from the 90's.

Marvel don't have an analogy of Wonder Woman. And given the continual search for a role for Wonder Woman at DC it is not surprising. The closest Marvel has is Thor (male or female) but Thor is well situated in the world with a far more fleshed out corner of the universe. If you think about it both backgrounds are equally problematic for different reasons.

I am very interested to see the Morrison take on Wonder Woman because no one else in modern comics has served her well and Morrison won't be afraid to look at her without blinkers. At least Morrison is a fan of Golden Age inclusiveness, whereas some at DC would prefer we all lived in a late 80s early 90s world. A world where the Nolan movies are king. Where super heroes are very serious and the things that don't quite fit get ignored or made gritty and 'realistic'. Or in a word pessimism.

There is a a diminishing demographic of 40 somthings (admittedly like myself but with different tastes) that think Batman is the last word in comics and are a little bit embarrassed by Superman or The Flash and think Wonder Woman should wear skimpy costumes and serve other people's stories. That Catwoman is more about the leather and high heels than actually having motivation or character depth. Thankfully we may be moving out of that era with things like The Flash picking up younger fans with more interest in lighter optimistic stories.

To paraphrase Alan More "Whatever Happened to the Woman of Tomorrow".
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gordonstar View Post
    No you....
    Nope, not me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Nope, not me.
    Actually yes. You and your kind never bought the books so....therefore Woman lead books didn't sell.
    Last edited by Gordonstar; 04-03-2015 at 07:54 AM.

Actually yes. You and your kind never bought the books so....therefore Woman lead books didn't sell.
    How do you know they didn't buy the books?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How do you know they didn't buy the books?
    Because sales suggest they didn't.

Because sales suggest they didn't.
    The sales suggest a certain amount of people don't buy women lead books. Also, you can't blame it entirely on the customers. Maybe the they didn't buy the books because they were poorly promoted or badly written.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post

There is a a diminishing demographic of 40 somthings (admittedly like myself but with different tastes) that think Batman is the last word in comics and are a little bit embarrassed by Superman or The Flash and think Wonder Woman should wear skimpy costumes and serve other people's stories. That Catwoman is more about the leather and high heels than actually having motivation or character depth. Thankfully we may be moving out of that era with things like The Flash picking up younger fans with more interest in lighter optimistic stories.
    You not reading the current Catwoman run?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The sales suggest a certain amount of people don't buy women lead books. Also, you can't blame it entirely on the customers. Maybe the they didn't buy the books because they were poorly promoted or badly written.
    You can blame customers if they're afraid of buying books with female leads. Quality has nothing to do with it and is subjective. Marketing for female books is used everywhere it is as much as male books, in adverts or interviews.

In the world of entertainment most people still don't want to see female leads to this day.

You can blame customers if they're afraid of buying books with female leads. Quality has nothing to do with it and is subjective. Marketing for female books is used everywhere it is as much as male books, in adverts or interviews.

In the world of entertainment most people still don't want to see female leads to this day.
    Who is afraid of buying female lead books? Marvel's promotion of a lot of their female lead books has been really poor. Only recently are we seeing that change, just look at the Spider-Gwen book. But they still have a long way to go, their promoting of Storm's book was near non-existant, and She-Hulks art.....
    I think Marvel is the main problem here, but the consumers are not blameless.

I am still waiting for my Invisible Woman solo Marvel!

BANNED

Art is subjective.

Storm is an Xman who can't sell a book ever.

Invincible Member

Frozen, Hunger Games, Scandal, Bachlorette, multiple books written by and featuring women,Taylor Swift...all these things suggest otherwise.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Art is subjective.

Greg Pak's Storm solo says hello

Also Jubilee and Mystique have carried solo titles.

Art is subjective.

A lot of people were put off by the art in She-Hulk. You would never see that type of art in a main Spider-man book.
    Really? can't sell a book ever? That's a bold statement, why can she never sell a book?